Filling-in time with a trio of 1/72 PM Model Sea Fury

Hi All

Next on the homework list is filling in gaps and general smoothing of seams.

These are the subjects

DSCF6380.jpg

One of the T-20 had an open bag and the decals suffered water damage

DSCF6382.jpg

But the other two were fine

DSCF6383.jpg

(Spot the difference)

I'm planning on doing one T-20 in each scheme (trainer and target tug) and the T-61 as the box art.

You'll notice the economical representation of the wheel wells, and the explosion of minimalism that is the cockpit (at least they get a seat each)

DSCF6384.jpg

DSCF6385.jpg

The riot of restraint is in full flow on the surface detail too, but this isn't about any of that, it's about this!

DSCF6386.jpg

Comments and suggestions welcome

Cheers

Steve

• Like 10

Enjoy

It may be (is) minimally detailed but at the end of the proverbial you will have Sea Furies that look the part

Such a relief not to be doing black'n'white stripes too

👍

• Thanks 1

I'm in the lab Prof - interesting...

Milliput fine isn't quite as easy to handle as the standard stuff IMHO mainly due to the fact that both parts are white. Good stuff though.

PPP has been covered a lot (and again in my current Beau thread) and I've learned that most people smooth it before it's fully cured using a damp thing (tissue, makeup sponge, cotton bud etc) or wet sand it. Not very strong but easy to use.

Flour? Er... are you mixing it with CA?

Envious of those kits, nice :) 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, perdu said:

It may be (is) minimally detailed but at the end of the proverbial you will have Sea Furies that look the part

Absolutely, and isn't that largely the objective? And you'll have them done quickly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi All

On 6/3/2018 at 11:19 AM, CedB said:

Flour? Er... are you mixing it with CA?

Yes that's the plan! I've seen it used to great effect on other's builds (you know who you are) and am sorely intrigued.

On 6/3/2018 at 11:25 AM, amblypygid said:

And you'll have them done quickly.

You would think! However, access to The Lab is restricted during the onset of Silly Season, so it may take longer than I'd thought too.

Anyhoo, snuck in for a couple of prep sessions, and have smoothed off the major sticky-out seams

Before

DSCF6387.jpg

After a quick scrape with a file and a rub down with a £1 shop nail manicure sponge

DSCF6388.jpg

And the rest of the joins treated so

DSCF6389.jpg

Overall I'm please with the results on the fuselage, and it brings out the gaps at the wing roots that will be the main focus of these experiments.

DSCF6390.jpg

DSCF6391.jpg

DSCF6392.jpg

Their undersides will be treated too

DSCF6393.jpg

I'll attach their tails and set too with the compounds when I'm next in.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 7

Hi All

A change of arrangements yesterday meant I've had a couple of hours in The Lab!

So, while everyone else is sunning themselves, I'm getting messy...

First up, Perfect Plastic Putty.

Went on well straight from the tube

DSCF6395.jpg

And with a wet finger got a nice smooth finish (those bits on the Port wing root get attention from the shaft of a dampened cocktail stick)

DSCF6396.jpg

DSCF6397.jpg

I'll pick out those panel lines and give it a once over with the Nail Block at next opportunity.

Contestant 2 is Milliput Fine.

After mixing together the smallest amount I could cut off each of the white sausages (resulting in a lump the size of a pea), it was applied in a similar fashion to the PPP

DSCF6398.jpg

DSCF6399.jpg

With the spatula dipped in water, this had more of the feel of a 'filler' and was quite thick (and I still had about 95% of the pea left), but once again the smoothing over with a wet finger brought out a pleasing finish

DSCF6400.jpg

DSCF6401.jpg

Tidying up with a damp cotton bud also produced a thin 'slurry' that seemed to fill the finer surface marks too.

Contestant 3 is then called.

After a quite ridiculous attempt at making a putty by dripping CA into a mound of flour

DSCF6394.jpg

I re-read the posts, and realised CA was ran onto the model and the flour added to it.

Cue CA in the gaps with a crust of flour

DSCF6402.jpg

Tapping off the flour revealed...

DSCF6403.jpg

A bit naff really.

Looks like my shoe after walking on the beach.

More CA and flour gave

DSCF6404.jpg

Right.

I'm obviously not quite at this stage of technique mastery yet.

Never mind, PPP to the rescue

DSCF6405.jpg

DSCF6406.jpg

Thso, the results so far.

CA and flour is going to need further investigation, it could be my budget ingredients or my budget experience, a further Lab booking is on the cards.

Milliput Fine is wonderful stuff, smooth and pliable and able to plug the widest gaps, but loses out at this level on getting it together and wastage.

The front runner, but just by a small margin, is Perfect Plastic Putty.

Tails and noses added soon (hopefully), and see how they sit.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 7

Nice work Steve :) 

I'm with you in trying your own experiments before committing to a new technique - I've had mixed results probably due to my lack of skills or not getting the right 'stuff'. Don't ask about my CA and Roket Powder experience - rock hard, sandy mess, just like your flour... we live and learn.

I'm also with you on the PPP and Milliput although I find that the latter's ability to be moulded as it goes off is great when you have larger gaps or holes to fill. When you need a shaped part that 'stands proud' there's nothing like it IMHO.

That said, like Colman's Mustard, everyone mixes too much! :) 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ProfSparks said:

CA and flour is going to need further investigation, it could be my budget ingredients or my budget experience, a further Lab booking is on the cards.

I’ve had good results with CA and talcum powder. Don’t leave it too long before sanding though.

Just my two pennies...

Tony

• Thanks 1

I've used slate powder and CA for ultra smooth gap filling. 

Because the slate powder is very fine rounded particles it has good rheological properties when mixed with CA. Flour cakes and granulates as you have found out.

You can pack slate powder into gaps, press and level off and drip ultra thin CA into it so that little sanding is needed.

It does go off quickly, as do any high surface area powders mixed with CA.

Edited by SUB-SAM
  • Thanks 1

Hi All

On 6/10/2018 at 8:59 AM, tonyh said:

I’ve had good results with CA and talcum powder.

Hi Tony, yes it looks like my grains are too large, should have gone for the bag with the chaps in the Bowler hats.

On 6/10/2018 at 12:37 PM, SUB-SAM said:

You can pack slate powder into gaps, press and level off and drip ultra thin CA into it so that little sanding is needed.

Hi SUB-SAM, I've never heard of slate powder, but packing it into the gaps and adding CA is a neat idea, on my "To Do" list!

Thso, as I've recently purchased a three pack of that Stynylrez primer, it seemed like a good opportunity to try them out, one each

DSCF6407.jpg

And here they are

DSCF6409.jpg

Nice, very nice, I like!

The white (although you can't tell from these photos) is slightly mottled, and if it was to be finished in white, I'd probably give it another coat for evenness.

DSCF6410.jpg

As it is going to be the red target tug, I'm sure it will be fine.

DSCF6411.jpg

It looks slightly blurry in real life too, hard to focus on.

The grey went on just as smooth

DSCF6412.jpg

It's probably slightly mottled too, but being light grey on light grey it doesn't show up as much.

DSCF6413.jpg

This is going to be the silver trainer.

But my favourite is...

DSCF6414.jpg

That is a very satisfying paint to spray, even with my bargain basement Frankenstein setup, full coverage.

DSCF6415.jpg

(Ignore the sandy filler, I left it rather than mess up the rest of the underside trying to remove it)

That's the Bagdaddy, shame to cover it up, but I think I've a P-61 Black Widow somewhere...

Anyhoo, I'm going to leave them alone for a week or so as work calls me away.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 8

I love Stynylrez << peg in the ground.

It does need a lot of shaking before first use and I too have found the white more troublesome than the black and grey.

Not very troublesome though, compared to some others I've tried.

Nice work Prof :) 

• Thanks 1

Impressive!!!

I have just started using talcum powder mixed with CA, and that method has potential.

I have never tried flour though. Is the yeast in the self-raising flour a crucial ingredient? For health reasons, may I suggest gluten free flour?

Great way to do some real life testing!!!

JR

• Haha 1

Great progress with these Furies, just love those lines.

Never used these Stynylrez primers, will have to look at reviews of this stuff albeit I have no problems with my Halfords primer.

Carry on good sir.

Stuart

• Thanks 1

On 6/9/2018 at 6:04 PM, ProfSparks said:

Contestant 3 is then called.

After a quite ridiculous attempt at making a putty by dripping CA into a mound of flour

DSCF6394.jpg

Are we sure that's "flour"?

I'd keep that image away from the boys in blue.

Seriously though, I watched John Adams do a demonstration at the Northern Model Show on year, where he showed how to repair damage with CA and then sprinkled on some baking powder. It set rock hard and could easily be sanded afterwards.

Thinking about it though, it would look just as suspicious as the flour!!!!

• Haha 2

Hi All

A couple of quick blasts in The Lab to get some colour on

First up was Vallejo Air 71.108 UK Azure applied directly on the underside of the black T-61

Starting with the nose and working to the tail, it was quite mottled a you can see, but once I'd given it a thin coat I started at the nose again

DSCF6481.jpg

Turned into this

DSCF6480.jpg

Smooth and even in a single session. Impressed at light shade over a black base.

The opposite was next, with a coat of Vallejo Game Extra Opaque 72.141 Heavy Red on the white T-21

DSCF6482.jpg

DSCF6484.jpg

DSCF6483.jpg

Again, a single session of thin coats.

It looks slightly pink in the flesh, even though it has covered the white primer completely.

Pressing on, the yellow stripes on the silver T-21 were applied

DSCF6485.jpg

DSCF6486.jpg

So, yellow over grey gives a sort of sickly green. Schoolboy error, should have given it a white base first :rage:

So I gave it a quick cover up with the white primer and reapplied the yellow.

With that sorted, I still wasn't convinced about the red one, so gave it a coat of Vallejo 71.084 Fire Red.

Slightly better, slightly more orangey in a Tomato soup sort of way, but no-where near Humbrol G19 Red.

Is there a better Vallejo equivalent? The lists recommend the 084, but it isn't.

What Vallejo Model Air would you use on a trainer or Red Arrows Gnat?

Anyhoo, here they are awaiting a Pledge coat before masking

DSCF6548.jpg

Comments and bright red suggestions welcome

Cheers

Steve

• Like 5

Reds and yellows are difficult to get right as there colour is influenced greatly by the base colour. I always put a white base down for my red & yellows. Some say that pink is the best base for red...

Back to the Furies, looking good, even if it is 'one step forward, two steps back' with the paint.

Stuart 

• Thanks 1

Nice work Steve :) 

10 hours ago, ProfSparks said:

Is there a better Vallejo equivalent? The lists recommend the 084, but it isn't.

I use iModelKit on the iPhone for all my paint stuff, partly because it lets me keep an inventory so I don't buy excess tins, partly because it lets you mix colours to match various references but mainly because it makes me look clever when this sort of question comes up :whistle:

Here's what it thinks about Humbrol 19 and Vallejo Model Air:

42013969055_bf3ab06a2f_z.jpg

As you can see it thinks 71.003 is the closest and that 084 isn't red enough (-95), is too green (+50) but the blue is close.

10 hours ago, ProfSparks said:

What Vallejo Model Air would you use on a trainer or Red Arrows Gnat?

Aha, trick question! I got caught when I did my Arrows as I didn't know that they'd changed the colour between the Gnats and Hawks. 

I used Xtracrylic 'Red Arrows Red' for mine but the wise provided the correct colours here.

There's also some discussion on primer colours for red/yellow in that (protracted) thread and white seems to be the winner.

HTH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ced,

this post of yours is far too highbrow and way above the limited IQ I was endowed with: I was in the big model shop in the Sky when the brains were being handed over.... or so I have been told.

So I will keep re-reading your vertiginous prose until the proverbial light bulb sparkles  into life! And all this for Humbrol 19?!!!!!

What a way to run a railroad!

JR

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, ProfSparks said:

DSCF6486.jpg

So, yellow over grey gives a sort of sickly green. Schoolboy error, should have given it a white base first :rage:

Cheers

Steve

You have at least discovered a good way to apply a zinc chromate finish. You can achieve some nice effects spraying yellow over black and grey base coats.

Edited by Killingholme
  • Like 1