This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
stevehnz

Bedding decals in Klear/ Future or equivalent.

12 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That looks good Duncan Ok, so I'm biased 'cause I've got these decals too though I'm guessing yours might be 1/48 :unsure: There is no doubt some practice makes better but I reckon it is a forgiving method, hiccups are recoverable & it also has the beauty of enabling second layer decals to go on fairly soon, rather than waiting over night.

Steve

Thanks Steve, practice will make better I'm sure. Those are the 1/72 scale decals.

Duncan B

1 hour ago, Duncan B said:

Those are the 1/72 scale decals.

Your photography lead me to think  they were bigger, nicely done. As an aside, which Typhoon kit are they designed for or maybe more pertinently which one have you used? They fit very well.

Steve.

7 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Your photography lead me to think  they were bigger, nicely done. As an aside, which Typhoon kit are they designed for or maybe more pertinently which one have you used? They fit very well.

Steve.

Not sure if they are generic or not but I used the Hasegawa kit (I have not enjoyed the build, wing and intake joints in particular were not very good).

Duncan B

After making the request of the mods, this thread has now been PINNED in Tools & Tips, Decals. Thanks to which ever mod did the deed,  hopefully it will become a useful resource as others contribute their experiences with this method.

Steve.

Nice to see you pros weighing in on this.  I'd been floating them in on a puddle of diluted Quickshine but figured it was probably the wrong thing to do even though I was getting positive results.  I don't even prime the whole thing with a coat of gloss or Quickshine first, just dump it right on the matt paint.  After they dry I flood them with the Red Micro-thingy bottle a couple of times and they seem to like it well enough.  Doing it that way gives me more time to slip and slide before it says, "Till death us do part".  I found it especially good for those little warning triangles that are about the size of a titmouse's toenails.

I was doing OK without glossing till I got to some Academy stencils,  :( , since then, I figure a quick (brushed) coat of whatever it is you use, KOE, Quickshine, Pascoes for us down under, is easy insurance against really bloody minded decals.

Steve.

8 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Academy stencils

You mean the ones made from 10mm MDF? :banghead: