Tamiya 1:48 A6M5 Zero

Moss%20Zero%20LeftFrontHigh-L.jpg

Moss%20Zero%20Right-L.jpg

Moss%20Zero%20LeftRear-L.jpg

Moss%20Zero%20RightFrontLow-L.jpg

Moss%20Zero%20Left-L.jpg

Moss%20Zero%20RightRear-L.jpg

This is a really nice kit with only one really glaring flaw -- more on that in a bit. The cockpit is one of the best detailed I've ever encountered OOB. I only added some Eduard PE seat belts. I also added ignition wires to the engine, although they're pretty hard to see without a flashlight. Otherwise it's OOB. I'm not generally an acrylic enthusiast, but I came to the conclusion that good ole Tamiya XF-11 and XF-12 were the most accurate available renditions of the Nakajima late war paint scheme; I have to say they worked great. The Hinomarus, including the black surrounds, were masked and painted using some frisket masks cut for me by my modeling buddy Richard Price with his plotter/cutter. Other markings are from the kit decals. The model depicts a plane flying from IJN Junyo in the Battle of the Philippine Sea on June 19, 1944. Because it represents a carrier based plane, I decided to keep it clean and gave it a semigloss final surface using a container of Micro Flat that was less flat then usual. I'm sorry about the slight sag of the antenna: It was incredibly humid last Friday when I took the pictures. Now for the flaw: the sliding canopy simply doesn't fit in the open position. Unlike the old Tamiya Zero kits, which offer a narrower rear canopy to accommodate the sliding section, the new kit seems designed only to pose closed. After struggling with it (and ruining the antenna wire in the process), I gave up and used the sliding piece from a Hasegawa kit which fit perfectly.

Cheers,
Pip

• Like 15

Nice job Pip, she's a beauty B)

I suspect the antenna sag is more noticeable to you than it is in real life, as I would not have seen - and indeed still cannot see - anything wrong with it  :) 

Cheers,

Stew