1/48 Hasegawa RAF Phantom FRG.2, 92 Sqn, Commission Work

Evening all.

One of the most interesting commissions I have received (thanks Robert - hope you managed to find the thread!).  Wonderful kit, with great colour scheme.  I am building this out of the box, other than adding a pair of Quickboost resin seats.

Anyway, initial box and a bit of priming:

OkSoGljXF8iKpfSZXVI29PvkmhzH9dJVcU8fJj_l

z8nfJygERt9sN1rEy0sXrGu7xF7O9P5Xu7dQ-Kb7

Managed to paint the resin seats this evening.  First one here:

qZ2MBupA0YHkjUn8tS2kRbs-HLJOAonsgK6X1-P7

Icarus

• Like 6

that's for ME! hoping to get 3 CAMO ones done. each with the initials of my name RJW! Only have a 1/48 FALKLANDS DEFENDER at the moment, and about 8 1/72 kit phantoms. also have 1/72 VULCAN, VICTOR, VALIANT + NIMROD models too. I collect mostly diecast, but am adding several kits as well now. here is a link to current collection.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertjon5/albums

38044134501_0dd08f20aa_b.jpg

37335093674_2c9773b233_b.jpg

• Like 4

Evening /morning.  Had some time to work on the cockpit this evening.  The resin seats are just placed in at the moment - I will glue them in when the cockpit is all closed up and just before adding the canopies (slightly paranoid about damaging the details if added beforehand).

At the moment there is no weathering in the cockpit,  Still debating whether to add just a very dilute oil wash - especially for the seat cushion and harness detail.  Not exactly realistic, but given the canopy will be closed on this, probably necessary.

Anyway, here's today's state of play..

Cp70UksBo9zRi92EjM7loIqF1DzKG5gWCGVADDVs

XYKeZAmEwnFO7K_wjjzV_EjYIeC4uPQmsp1D4YzF

wiglm6DePLs3vPip4Qcg9vBgC_KuzKRaskCe_u6W

Enjoying this build - thank you Robert for the opportunity!

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
Typos
  • Like 5

Looking good finished the same kit two months ago

very nice details for its vintage and year of release....

hope to see yours done up soon

rgds

I want one of these so much! 

But not over £40 much! 😂

How come 1/48 Jags & Harriers & US Phantoms are cheap but RAF Phantoms so expensive? 

• Confused 1

OK, just starting to get the fuselage ready for priming and painting.  Will need to finish off the cockpit (HUD, a touch of light wash, canopies then masking) before the airbrush comes out in anger.

Wonderful kit!

jDQ5Wy_9MdYzkKvSQ2cGxYGXPwWu3_R5snHryFF9

-HfVLmiLHevBAXnNvv51Zsast9MMWuIlo9lMe_Fq

64FdWNQEA9YveyIKCrTgbjcoPwi1-OKO9mKDFBgw

And yes, in the background you can see two essential receptacles for a modeller - a tea mug, and a wine glass...

Icarus

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Evening all.

Ridiculously, I have been abroad for most of the time since the last post.  However, having had a particularly interesting flight back from Amstedam on Friday, I managed to grab some time this weekend to apply the initial camouflage coats to this one.

AgB8vfu2oer8EzocKeiqsbyHIBr578heX7tNWySi

ztZ3GDCXa6KXJeNyjcwrgxDEKMBXrLnkvXXPRTi3

TReJWNK3xnF9OGunVqvoBI6BCJrn2fMfWTJ2WWRr

The tailplanes and nose radome have just been clipped in place.

Next steps a bit of touching up, then Krystal Klear gloss varnish before adding the decals.

Robert - this is now moving fast.

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
Image issues
  • Like 2

I've only just noticed this...it looks lovely. The cockpit detail in particular is beautifully rendered, and painted. I have a couple of the new tool Airfix Phantoms in 1/72 ready to build, but from what I gather they're not a patch on these older Hasegawa ones.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I spent the last week away in Cornwall, but sneakily managed to get a bit of time in the evening to put the decals on this.

_lfx-BLbsdqA_UFIg2P8zKd8F9NMriowzj6eHIB7

MAHtT52TftVGZjrtkMDRYffcjLNmZJwSAwMq8YaX

Just working on the dangly bits, then will attach, do a little bit of muted weathering (images indicate these a/c were kept pretty pristine), a satin varnish then removal of the canopy masks.  

I'm in Moscow next week, so not quite sure whether this will get through customs (clearly minus the scalpel in the background of the photos!).  We shall see (Robert - calm.  My Russian Customs colleagues were very impressed with the previous models in construction that I've taken through in my hand luggage, so I don't expect any issues this time around with this one).

Icarus

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...