Spanish Birddog...Airfix Cessna O-1, 1/72nd scale

Just to be a little bit nit-picker......For a spanish example, you should remove that blabe antennae from the fuselage back....I haven't been able to find any spanish example wiith that devide fitted....

.I remember that nimble Cessna, back in the days of yore, when I first purchased one at my local hobby shop.....Built and painted in one saturday  morning, and ready to attack my brother's 1/76 german camp, in a corner of the dinning room, in the afternoon.....

Whenever I see these models being given a chance, I get fond memories from a time that, unfortunately, "todays" kids haven't enjoyed at all.......

Best regards...!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Artie...you're right, of course, and even though I really like it, I'll take it off.  I do notice that some of them have an "O" radio antennae fitted instead.  Perhaps I'll add that on.  A little more scratch!😁

• Like 1

It was about 30C in my flat so I had to thin the paint quite a bit and only use small amounts at a time.  

27756718387_cd3edfbb99_z_d.jpg

A swivel knife helped with cutting the curved pieces of the masks.

41907732534_72caeff7c9_z_d.jpg

All masked and ready to go!

40817792570_78b11bc4a2_z_d.jpg

Painted and drying.  It might be hot, but it is only about 30% humidity here today.  I gave the struts, landing gear and wheels a spray too.  They are in the background.  I'll let it all set up overnight.  I think the Dark Green is spot on, as they say.

41907731264_bde466687d_z_d.jpg

In my enthusiasm, I forgot to paint the rudder white!  I have masked it off and will use a hairy brush for this tomorrow.

--John

• Like 5

Well...it's basically finished, at least from a construction point-of-view.  I have decided to not add the loop antennae since none of the photos of 407/2 or 402/11 have it.  The rudder was hairy brushed white.  Looks good to me.  I added the running lights since there were none moulded onto the wing.  Just a wee nubbin of Evergreen stock and some paint...

The wheels are Tire Black and I sanded down the resting areas to be a little more authentic.  This model was supposed to be mounted on a small stand, so the gear itself is moulded that way--the wheels a little angled downwards.  I had to carefully bend the gear to make it seem as if it were resting on the ground.

What else...The prop is finished,, but not in the photos--black with yellow tips, a little aluminum dry-brushed over the prop boss bolts.  

I could finish this tonight and post in the gallery tomorrow and, knowing my routine, I probably will.  All that's left are the decals, the whip antennae, the radio line, the prop and some dusty weathering for that Spanish/Moroccan look.  Hmmm...

27782486587_6784dcab2f_z_d.jpg

40843023660_7dfa614ff7_z_d.jpg

40843023420_4d7bf5b16f_z_d.jpg

--John

Edited by John D.C. Masters
speeling
  • Like 8

Well done John, she's a beaut!! 

Now I've had this kit, sold it, had it again, sold it again - now after seeing this build I think it's time I bought one again!! Talk about undecided, but I'll admit that's a very tempting build. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

An excellent model in every aspect. It's a pleasure evrytime I see spanish subjects, specially those second line machines, way less glamorous than F18s, Eurofighters, and so.....the workhorses that keep the Army working...

Best regards.....

Thank you Artie...thank you Corsair.

I agree.  These reconnaissance/liason/training aircraft have so much character and history, very much unsung.

Thanks Martin, Ray and Big X...

I have begun a US Navy Buffalo... 

The Mig just left the UK for here...I should have it by next week.  I'll build the Brewster, then I am into the Mig.

Then...Hannover CLII; Pup; Canadian Chipmunk; Peruvian 504; Auster Antartica...not in that order.  I will get rid of all of my old Airfix 

stash this summer.  

• Like 2