Three 1/48 Griffon Spits

After a 30 or so year gap since my last Spitfire model, I built an Airfix 1/48 Spitfire Vb for the RAF centenary group build. That started something - I dug these three straight out of the stash and got on with them as a triple build. These were built in the Carriers Ahoy and RAF centenary group builds - build threads and more photos over in the GB forums. 

All three are Airfix 1/48 kits - the Seafire XVII, Spitfire PR.XIX and the Eduard boxing of the Spitfire F.22.

First up, the Seafire, finished using Mr Paint and Gunze acrylics and Freightog decals for a 1831 Sqn RNVR aircraft based at RNAS Stretton in 1946. My favourite of the three - really enjoyed this build.

1/48 Seafire XVII

The PR.XIX is finished as a 541 Sqn aircraft from 1944, using Xtradecals. 

1/48 Spitfire PR.XIX

Finally the F.22. Not my favourite Spitfire mark - the big fin spoils the look for me. Finished in the markings of 603 (City of Edinburgh) Sqn RAuxAF, using Alclad high speed silver. To be honest I'd prefer to have built the original Airfix kit rather than the Eduard rebox - didn't really enjoy working with the resin parts and didn't feel like they were worth the effort, although the decals were nice. I'm tempted to buy the Airfix re-release when it shows up in the shops here and use the Syrian decals from the Eduard sheet on it.

1/48 Spitfire F.22

thanks for looking

Z

• Like 17

Thanks everyone 

@stevej60 what’s next is about 6 weeks of travelling so no modelling for a while. I’m off to Kuala Lumpur for work today, then a week after I get back we’re off to the UK for a month. There might be no modelling but I’ll be seeing some aircraft - very excited to be going to RIAT for the first time since 2010 and I’m going to try and take in a museum or two.

But when I get back I’ll be joining in the Airfix GB and Brits Abroad GB. I have a Caravelle, Skyvan and Belvedere for Airfix - probably won’t have time for all three though - and top of the list for Brits Abroad is a RAAF Beaufighter target tug.

• Like 1