BF 109G-6 1/48 - My First Adult Build!

1 hour ago, KelT said:

Is that a clever pun?

I've had no problem with the paint so far and I've given up worrying. Time will tell I guess. I'm just glad I found a way to work with the Vallejo as I really like the way they lay down and as you mentioned the lack of fumes is a big bonus. I did read that the Revel Aqua range were pretty good too but we don't get those in this dark corner of the world.

For brush painting though I can't recommend enough watching Plastix's video, it's like watching someone paint, but it's worth watching all the way through, I learned so much from it. The only mistakes I made outside of what I learnt from Plastix were the ones where I didn't follow his advice due to lack of confidence in my own ability, I soon discovered that taking the leap and just giving it a go his way actually worked. No primer, no masking (for most of the job), thin layers and a confident hand. Of course I have a long way to go but Plastix's advice shortened the journey. Oh I should mention though that the Future as a thinner was my own idea, not from Plastix, so if you do try it and it doesn't work then I'm the one to direct the law suit at :)

Haha, noted!

I will give his video a go.

Does he paint directly onto plastic then?

18 hours ago, Oberleutnant said:

I had real trouble with the correct thickness of paint - way too wet and it was like water and then too thick!

The yellow bits towards the tale I actually missed off thinking they were part of the decal so had to add at a later date and it was really tricky putting it on top of existing multiple layers - actually sitting very proud!

It will tidy up though as the decal sits above and over the top of the yellow and will mask the dodgy bit!

It´s trial and error regarding the paint to be honest, but once the first coat of thinned paint is dry, then the other will cover much better.

Before building my version of your model, I actually checked online (while I had the model in front of me) if the yellow decals for the tail were included, that´s how I base my model purchases, though I´ll get to paint the bands sometime in the future.

• Like 2

I've managed to tone down the dark mottling by using a wet cotton bud which has had the added benefit of removing some of the strange shapes I made!

It has also wiped off some of the other mottling colours but I'll add them back in whilst gingerly adding new dark green to the bare areas.

Before:

IMG_20180820_205237[1]

After: 

IMG_20180821_205527

Before:

IMG_20180820_205204[1]

After:

IMG_20180821_205516

Looks a little better I think - just needs some touching up.

Edited by Oberleutnant
  • Like 9

That looks really good, the cotton bud made a huge difference, although I didn't see the "Before:" at first and I sat thinking it looked just like it did last time until I scrolled down :)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KelT said:

That looks really good, the cotton bud made a huge difference, although I didn't see the "Before:" at first and I sat thinking it looked just like it did last time until I scrolled down :)

Cheers.

Its not perfect and now has some bare areas but I'll sort those out.

Tbh it will never look brilliant using a brush - just a case of making the best you can I think.

Will be using pastels next time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Oberleutnant said:

Tbh it will never look brilliant using a brush - just a case of making the best you can I think.

You’re right, it’s not so easier work even if you use an enamels. But every hand-painted model looks unique, it’s represents your artistic style well - it’s not so evident with an airbrush.

Your «109» looks great, keep up the good work! The paint coats looks like an eye candy for me 👍

Cheers! 🙃

• Like 1

Hello Oberleutnant,

Hey, you did great with your first adult build !!

Struggling with Möttling :evil_laugh:…. I'm in too with my 190D-9

I used to prime in white for the yellow panels, it's easier !

Really amazing work !! Congrats !

CC

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:35 PM, Learstang said:

He is Soviet Marshal Georgiy Konstantinovich Zhukov, four times a Hero of the Soviet Union (and well-deserving of these titles). In my opinion, he is the one general most responsible for defeating Nazi Germany. I feel having his stern visage looking out at my posts gives them a gravitas that they don't deserve.

Best Regards,

Jason

Oh Thanks Jason,

I mistook him for the General Zhakarov !!

Sorry Dear, I really like Zhoukov too and I fully agree with you !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Oberleutnant,

Hey, you did great with your first adult build !!

Struggling with Möttling :evil_laugh:…. I'm in too with my 190D-9

I used to prime in white for the yellow panels, it's easier !

Really amazing work !! Congrats !

CC

Hello!

Thank you,

Do you have a link to your work in progress?

It looks great, wait till you put the decals on it and sit back, bet you will feel better then, decals lift the whole model. I wish my first build looked like that! Power through then get another and go again.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Oberleutnant said:

Hello!

Thank you,

Do you have a link to your work in progress?

Hello Oberleutnant,

Here it is

And about @Learstang alias, I was thinking about this guy

WP_20180822_22_03_49_Pro

He was nicknamed the Bear !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

On 8/22/2018 at 11:45 PM, corsaircorp said:

Hello Oberleutnant,

Here it is

And about @Learstang alias, I was thinking about this guy

WP_20180822_22_03_49_Pro

He was nicknamed the Bear !!

Sincerely.

CC

Good work bud!

The long nose variant as well - interesting choice.

The German stuff is interesting but they love making difficult paint schemes!

• Haha 1

This is getting somewhere herr Oberleutnant :).

so you would now go for some fading and shadowing. I would advise the basic colours for this. Go to a hobby store and buy oilpaint, dark brown and white. Coat all the model in gloss laquer. Let dry at least 24 hours. Then  start with stippeling white on a part of the model (like the wing and not too much, you can build up), take a flat brush dampened in thinner and smear this out. Make sure raised detail and centers of panels get more of this treatment. Then let this dry for at least 24 to 48 hours. Then you take the dark brown, mix it with thinner to milk consitency. Smear this out on your model, let dry for 18 hours. Now take a cloth damped with thinner and gently wipe all off. You will see that the paint sticks to the recessed areas, like you want. 

when done share the results and we will see further :).

greetings TC

1 minute ago, Twentecable said:

This is getting somewhere herr Oberleutnant :).

so you would now go for some fading and shadowing. I would advise the basic colours for this. Go to a hobby store and buy oilpaint, dark brown and white. Coat all the model in gloss laquer. Let dry at least 24 hours. Then  start with stippeling white on a part of the model (like the wing and not too much, you can build up), take a flat brush dampened in thinner and smear this out. Make sure raised detail and centers of panels get more of this treatment. Then let this dry for at least 24 to 48 hours. Then you take the dark brown, mix it with thinner to milk consitency. Smear this out on your model, let dry for 18 hours. Now take a cloth damped with thinner and gently wipe all off. You will see that the paint sticks to the recessed areas, like you want. 

when done share the results and we will see further :).

greetings TC

Thank you Twentecable.

I need to actually do some modelling now.

Slow progress from me.

• Like 1

Looks great, unfortunately paint looks quiet thick, but it’s not a huge problem. It’s difficult scheme, but you painted it very well ! Cheers !

Hi guys,

I just posted a fresh topic but stupidly put in on the WW1 discussion page!

The topic is as follows which I would like advise on please:

............................................................................................................................................

HI folks,

Some of you may know I'm undertaking a build of a BF109.

I've just sprayed a coat of Humbrol Acrylic Varnish (Gloss 35) ready for applying decals and the following has happened to the paint work as an immediate reaction:

IMG_20180829_174417

Its seems to be concentrated in one area for some reason.

IMG_20180829_174214

I swear I have read elsewhere people having problems with the product but checking the Amazon reviews now they're mostly very positive.

I researched the prep required for the varnishing and I shook the can for 30 seconds, placed it in warm water for 2 minutes and then further shaked the can for 30 seconds and then applied it outside.

I applied across the aircraft from approx 20cm.

This has not happened to the top surfaces which I applied yesterday.

Any ideas what has happened here please?

Is it a mistake from me or is this a poor product which I need to replace?

I've also got the acrylic matt coat from Humbrol which I intend to finish with but I'm now worrying all my hard work will go down the pan!

Opinions very much welcome please.

IMG_20180829_175305

Having read through your post I would say that with all the different paints you have tried and the thickness of it, is that it may not have hardened off fully underneath and the gloss coat has caused a reaction on the soft paint

The top of the plane looks to be a thinner coating which may have hardened fully and has been OK with the gloss coat

I have used the satin and gloss Humbrol acrylic varnishes over Tamiya acrylics and have had no issues

As rudolf24 has said in the post above, it does look like a reaction between acrylic and enamel paints

At the end of the day it may be better to rub down and clearcoat with future then matt coat after decalling

t's all part of the learning curve as I've found out since getting back into modelling so don't give up

Ian

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Having read through your post I would say that with all the different paints you have tried and the thickness of it, is that it may not have hardened off fully underneath and the gloss coat has caused a reaction on the soft paint

The top of the plane looks to be a thinner coating which may have hardened fully and has been OK with the gloss coat

I have used the satin and gloss Humbrol acrylic varnishes over Tamiya acrylics and have had no issues

As rudolf24 has said in the post above, it does look like a reaction between acrylic and enamel paints

At the end of the day it may be better to rub down and clearcoat with future then matt coat after decalling

t's all part of the learning curve as I've found out since getting back into modelling so don't give up

Ian

Thanks Ian.

I went in to my local shop and asked him as he sold me the product.

He recons as you have said that it does not look like I have waited long enough for the layers of acrylic paint to set before adding another coat meaning the paint is quite soft and its reacted with the clear spray.

Also that I was probably spraying a bit too much, possibly layers on top as I sprayed back and forth.

I know I have used lots of paint coats so I reckon that that is the problem.

The enamels I binned a long time ago and were not applied liberally so its not that.

It actually looks like an ice build up in Russia so I'll leave it I think and put it down as a learning curve.

Hope yours is going well.

1 hour ago, Oberleutnant said:

It actually looks like an ice build up in Russia so I'll leave it I think and put it down as a learning curve.

Hope yours is going well.

Glad you've got to the bottom of it

Leave it a few days, rub it down lightly and coat with future as that shouldn't react with anything, add your decals then matt coat later and see how you go

Hopefully your next build will go better as we all learn as we go along 

I'm doing a Hunter in the cold war group build at present and it's going ok at the minute thanks, it's in primer waiting for paint at the minute

Ian

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Glad you've got to the bottom of it

Leave it a few days, rub it down lightly and coat with future as that shouldn't react with anything, add your decals then matt coat later and see how you go

Hopefully your next build will go better as we all learn as we go along 

I'm doing a Hunter in the cold war group build at present and it's going ok at the minute thanks, it's in primer waiting for paint at the minute

Ian

Any picks?!