BF 109G-6 1/48 - My First Adult Build!

Hello folks!

I've recently joined and subsequently been encouraged to put my own build on the table so to speak.

This is the first kit I have attempted as an adult - at least 15 years since my last effort which was probably an unpainted battleship.

After a night out and a heavy head I, out of nowhere, got the sudden urge to build a model plane and tracked down my local store.

I decided to go for a slightly bigger scale than I used to go for and went for 1/48 and chose, after some discussion, this Eduard BF 109-G.

20180602_092743

20180602_092807

It has taken me 5 months to get to the stage it is at due to me struggling with it - particularly the painting which I rarely did as a kid, as well as having several other hobbies and not touching it for a while.

I've resurrected the model after almost binning it and starting again a few times.

Some of the problems I have encountered:

- bought enamels then persuaded to buy acrylics due to their usability.

- being terrible at priming. A technique I will have to get use to without putting far too much on with a spray can.

- over tidying the plastic parts off the spruce ending up with a mm or two gap in front of the cockpit along the nose which I subsequently filled and sanded down which actually turned out pretty nicely.

- breaking delicate bits and building bits in the wrong order and struggling with metal elements.

- using Mr Color lacquer based acrylics for the cockpit - using far too much paint, stinking the place out, and then swapping to water based.

- really struggling to get the right paint consistency with water based acrylics despite many YouTube videos and articles, many of which totally contradict.

- many requests for help on a well known grumpy Facebook group for many of my issues which has proven helpful.

- way too thin paint applied and paint brush marks everywhere and then way too thick! White primer wasn't a good choice although I was given it by my local shop (grey now).

- in the end I almost binned the plane out of frustration then stumbled on a decent consistency and just put a coat of RLM76 all over out of desperation.

- however the lacquer and water based paint mixed resulting in a reaction and those little lumps of paint all over the plane meaning I binned all my brushes and some paint pots whilst sanding down the whole plane.

- bought some new Humbrol acrylic which turned out to be quite dry, crusty and useless. Binned them and switched to Vallejo which are much better.

- dropped it on the floor snapping off a rear wing.

- due to reshaping the nose the cockpit needed alteration and now the plastic glazing doesn't fit properly (I will sort it out).

- not covering the model when painting session had finished resulting in hair and dust stuck to the plane (dealt with now).

- having spent a lot of time making a colour change chart from Mr Color to Vallejo I decided to paint the wings and realised I shouldn't have covered the wing in RLM76 the result being the plane has far too many coats.

- I painted the wings in RLM74 and 75 as stated but discovered the RLM75 made by Vallejo is very dark and in fact the camo pattern was barely visible so I chose 'Dark Sea Grey' and painted over the RLM75 which has turned out okay - but yet another 3 coats of paint added!

- struggled with painting the camo on the wings without having a build up of paint between colours but it has turned out okay.

- the blended paint along the flank between the camo and the underside light blue of the plane is impossible with water based acrylic and looked awful but I managed to tidy it up with masking tape and yet more paint.

- I feel the plane was rescued at this point from the bin!

How it looks now: 

20180602_092905

20180602_095524

I have recently started adding the yellow paint elements with has taken several coats and requires more:

20180602_092940

I then realised the hard way that instead of buying equivalent paint to Mr Color as I had been, I made do with a Vallejo green I already owned mainly due to being fed up with spending so much money.

The result of this is the propeller which took quite a few times to get the masking lines right looks far too light green.

Subsequently I have bought an Eduard replacement propeller which is in the post along with the correct green:

20180602_093048

This plane has fought me at every stage but I have learnt a lot and developed skills I have never had (as a boy I didn't tend to paint my models - I just liked building them).

I do feel I have picked a plane which was a bit difficult for my skill level and ideal for air brushing rather than brush painting.

I am currently experimenting with stipple brushing the mottling now and will do my best despite the limitations of brush painting.

I will finish this plane!

Feeling motivated!

Edited by Oberleutnant
  • Like 19

Yes, although an excellent model to build, that's a pretty difficult one to start back with. I also built an Eduard Profipack when I first came back to modelling, and was somewhat bemused at the tiny metal bits in the box, having never heard of photo-etched parts before. From what I recall, I did a few of the easier parts and skipped the rest. Eduard kits are often great but unforgiving of even the tiniest error or misalignment; as with many CAD mouldings, even a coat of paint on a mating surface can result in problems. You've also got a difficult paint scheme to do there: yellow and mottling! 

After all your tribulations, I'd have given up, so credit to you for continuing and getting such a good result

• Like 4

Well, to me, it looks great in the pictures.  Not bad for a first adult build.

Re priming, when using a rattle can, make sure the paint is not stone cold and shake it for a goodly amount of time.  After that, it's a case of not spraying too close to the model and never, never, start spraying pointing at the model.  Start to one side and sweep over the model in long slowish sweeps.  If you stop sweeping and point at the same part of the model for more than a second or so, you'll get runs.  Lots of thin coats are better than one over thick one, so take your time.

re painting yellow, it's very translucent and doesn't cover well, so its best to undercoat in white before starting.

BTW, I don't think the prop blades look too light.

regards

Martin

• Like 3

Sounds like a completely "normal" grownup build to me :). I sometimes miss the days when one coat of "something close" was good enough.

Having read all all your trials and tribulations I was actually surprised to see that it has furned out really nicely! Looking forward to seeing it progress.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

You chose an advanced model to start with but, despite all the problems you mentioned, it is turning out really nicely. Congrats on that and on the perseverance!

I'm sure all the experience you got till now solving those difficulties, will help you have an easier second build.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, jrlx said:

You chose an advanced model to start with but, despite all the problems you mentioned, it is turning out really nicely. Congrats on that and on the perseverance!

I'm sure all the experience you got till now solving those difficulties, will help you have an easier second build.

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks mate!

Yes the next one will be easier having ironed out all the issues on this one.

I will keep this build for future comparison too.

• Like 1

Ive built the overtrees of this kit. As far as im concerned probably the best 109G6 out there. Next time try the weekend edition ... Same kit less aftermarket and stress. I know that will ruffle the Tamiya lovers feathers. I love Tamiya Hate the cost, Its that simple. Hope youre enjoying the kit ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

Wow. After reading your bullet list of difficulties at the beginning I was expecting to see something looking like a watermelon squashed by a falling bear, but no, it actually looks pretty great.

I too chose a difficult model for my first (well I actually didn't choose it was bought as a present, or a punishment, for me - still undecided which) but I feel it really paid off in the long run. Just think how many easier models might have turned out not quite right as you learned all you have on this one. I have yet to overcome my first brush painting of those large surface areas and I'm not looking forward to it but you've got to stat somewhere right, just so long as you don't lose sight of the fun.

I really look forward to seeing how you progress and thanks for sharing all your errors and difficulties, it's not easy when surrounded by all these other amazing modellers but it does help other beginners like myself learn and perhaps avoid, or at least feel less alone in, our mistakes.

• Like 2

Very nice work there, keep persevering and you'll wind up with a great finished model!

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Slight addition.
  • Like 1

Hello Oberleutnant.

IMO I think your model looks fine.

I have one caution from my own experience when taking up modelling again. 

When building one's first model back, it may be wise to forego the exacting details one sees an expert add on a site such as this. The goal is to complete the model. This first model is a practice build. Perhaps it's best not to expect miracles and over reach. To not add pressure that really doesn't exist outside one's imagination. Building the model is hard enough without adding the exacting details to get it right. It will never be 'right'. 

As for build mistakes and losing parts... It happens. While carefully studying instruction a few days ago, double and triple checking, I made a mistake. I have also lost a small part. (It is around here somewhere...but where?)

My experience with brushes is limited to minor works. Having said that, I find Tamiya acrylic matt paints are very easy to use. Water can be used for clean up.

If a coat of paint is too thick, fine sand paper can help.

I am not much of a modeler and am struggling to do a decent job. I hope my thoughts were of some use.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KelT said:

I have yet to overcome my first brush painting of those large surface areas and I'm not looking forward to it but you've got to stat somewhere

The trick is to really thin the paint down to a watery consistency. Then multiple coats to build the color up. If you get a chance look up a member with the screen name of PlaStix his builds are all brush painted. He did a Youtube video as well. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 5

23 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ive built the overtrees of this kit. As far as im concerned probably the best 109G6 out there. Next time try the weekend edition ... Same kit less aftermarket and stress. I know that will ruffle the Tamiya lovers feathers. I love Tamiya Hate the cost, Its that simple. Hope youre enjoying the kit ? 

Yeah more or less haha!

Will be pleased when its finished. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, KelT said:

Wow. After reading your bullet list of difficulties at the beginning I was expecting to see something looking like a watermelon squashed by a falling bear, but no, it actually looks pretty great.

I too chose a difficult model for my first (well I actually didn't choose it was bought as a present, or a punishment, for me - still undecided which) but I feel it really paid off in the long run. Just think how many easier models might have turned out not quite right as you learned all you have on this one. I have yet to overcome my first brush painting of those large surface areas and I'm not looking forward to it but you've got to stat somewhere right, just so long as you don't lose sight of the fun.

I really look forward to seeing how you progress and thanks for sharing all your errors and difficulties, it's not easy when surrounded by all these other amazing modellers but it does help other beginners like myself learn and perhaps avoid, or at least feel less alone in, our mistakes.

Yes, its great source of knowledge on this forum as well as inspiration.

Just don't expect to get to that level straight away!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ham Hands said:

Hello Oberleutnant.

IMO I think your model looks fine.

I have one caution from my own experience when taking up modelling again. 

When building one's first model back, it may be wise to forego the exacting details one sees an expert add on a site such as this. The goal is to complete the model. This first model is a practice build. Perhaps it's best not to expect miracles and over reach. To not add pressure that really doesn't exist outside one's imagination. Building the model is hard enough without adding the exacting details to get it right. It will never be 'right'. 

As for build mistakes and losing parts... It happens. While carefully studying instruction a few days ago, double and triple checking, I made a mistake. I have also lost a small part. (It is around here somewhere...but where?)

My experience with brushes is limited to minor works. Having said that, I find Tamiya acrylic matt paints are very easy to use. Water can be used for clean up.

If a coat of paint is too thick, fine sand paper can help.

I am not much of a modeler and am struggling to do a decent job. I hope my thoughts were of some use.

Yes they are, thank you.

I'm trying not to do too much but at the same time I am using it as a test bed to try different techniques.

I will be at least having a go at weathering.

13 hours ago, Ham Hands said:

One more thing. (I forgot)

This may be of help when searching for equivalent paints between brands.

Hobby color converter app.

Cheers Ham!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Oberleutnant said:

Yes they are, thank you.

I'm trying not to do too much but at the same time I am using it as a test bed to try different techniques.

I will be at least having a go at weathering.

Cheers Ham!

I totally understand. This then come under the heading, Practice. ;)

We all seem to do this. :)

Good luck.

Oh, one primer in a can I find very useful is Mr. Finishing Surfacer 1500 Black. It is excellent IMHO. :)

• Like 1

He is Soviet Marshal Georgiy Konstantinovich Zhukov, four times a Hero of the Soviet Union (and well-deserving of these titles). In my opinion, he is the one general most responsible for defeating Nazi Germany. I feel having his stern visage looking out at my posts gives them a gravitas that they don't deserve.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Given the litany of issues you have had I would say it's looking pretty damn nice! 

It's all been said already above me here, but you are tackling some things I avoid still, and I have been 'back' in the hobby for years. Yellow I avoid like the plague - especially as I don't have an airbrush. I find it a real nightmare to work with. Mottling the same for the same reasons. 

And it took me ages to get the hang of PE parts - which still often drive me to distraction. So don't worry - in short! Looking great. 

best,

Bruce

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Learstang said:

He is Soviet Marshal Georgiy Konstantinovich Zhukov, four times a Hero of the Soviet Union (and well-deserving of these titles). In my opinion, he is the one general most responsible for defeating Nazi Germany. I feel having his stern visage looking out at my posts gives them a gravitas that they don't deserve.

Best Regards,

Jason

I have should have guessed really!

Poor from me.

1 hour ago, bruce bay said:

Given the litany of issues you have had I would say it's looking pretty damn nice! 

It's all been said already above me here, but you are tackling some things I avoid still, and I have been 'back' in the hobby for years. Yellow I avoid like the plague - especially as I don't have an airbrush. I find it a real nightmare to work with. Mottling the same for the same reasons. 

And it took me ages to get the hang of PE parts - which still often drive me to distraction. So don't worry - in short! Looking great. 

best,

Bruce

Thanks Bruce.

Yes I agree especially with the yellow.

No matter how many coats you can still see the colour underneath!

I must have done about 6 layers on the nose and its still not enough.

Next time I won't use a base coat and just paint straight onto primer.

I have changed to grey primer but actually for light colours like white and yellow white would be better.