Fokker F27-100 Friendship Aer Lingus

As promised in chat here is my first ( and probably only entry given my rate of progress) entry the 1/72 Fokker Friendship in in it's original form. Full written instructions and all . Decals look usable . Here's whats in the box . Good luck to all on the trip down memory lane. 

Martin H

GbccLEL.jpg 

• Like 8

Nice one - it's amazing how many old kits pop up and you think 'I remember making that'.  I seem to remember making a Friendship - 'back in the day' - but I don't remember the scheme - pretty sure it wasn't Aer Fungus though...

Enjoy - I know I will :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Hi All 

A few bits and pieces started Cabin windows fitted Flight deck ready for detail painting . Still undecided as to whether the crew will make an appearance . More soon

Thanks for looking 

Martin H

xPggnvv.jpgJsf9jSr.jpg

• Like 7

Hello Grandboof,

I have recently had the pleasure of building the Airfix Friendship, it was a later release with the two nose options, and I must say I was very happy with the way the old kit went together. In fact, it was so good I was able to paint the fuselage and wings separately and fitted them after all the rest was done - not a spot of filler or fettling required! (Except for the nose but that was another story!).

Looking forward to seeing your progress,

Ray

• Like 3

I’ll be following this. Never built this one, had been thinking of getting hold of one to build in Manx or Air UK colours. Maybe this will rekindle that.

Does anyone know which boxings have the alternative noses?

• Like 2

On 6/10/2018 at 11:28 AM, zebra said:

I’ll be following this. Never built this one, had been thinking of getting hold of one to build in Manx or Air UK colours. Maybe this will rekindle that.

Does anyone know which boxings have the alternative noses?

I believe the noses were in the "TAA" boxing . I built the Braathens one many years ago and it didn't have nose options . Will check my stash and see 

Martin H

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Grandboof said:

I believe the noses were in the "TAA" boxing . I built the Braathens one many years ago and it didn't have nose options . Will check my stash and see 

Martin H

That is right, I have recently finished the TAA boxing, and it had the nose options.

Hope that helps,

Ray

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grandboof said:

Martin H

1 hour ago, Ray S said:

That is right, I have recently finished the TAA boxing, and it had the nose options.

Hope that helps,

Ray

Thanks! I’ll look out for that boxing then.

• Like 2

My Dad built this kit for me when it was first released, after we saw one at Heathrow in the early '60s.

Now I'm curious as you seem to have TWO versions of the kit here?  Post#1 shows the kit in the box in its original silver-grey plastic, but in Post#4 the fuselage halves with

windows inserted appears to show the later release in light grey plastic ?? 

• Confused 1

Photo in post 4 is after a quick prime in light grey to lighten up the cabin a bit ( not that much will be seen after close up) 

Thanks for looking

Martin H

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All 

Here are the crew prior to permanent internment . Not the best photo ( Sorry) Will have to work on that. Should be all closed up by the next post.

Thanks for looking

Martin H

KzlRJk4.jpg

• Like 4

Hi All 

All closed up but forgot nose weight 🤬 Should be able to load through the cargo door. Fit was good not much filling to be done

Martin H 

pcnuMg7.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Evening All 

A little more progress . Weight issues solved hopefully . Sub structures assembled . Dry fitting indicates no major fit problems so the wings and tail feathers will be painted before assembly .Engine nacelles ,props and main undercarriage should be done by the weekend with clean up and priming to follow. Thanks for dropping by .

Martin H 

ZFn9yVb.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2018 at 8:50 PM, Lawzer said:

Looking good! 👍

On 7/19/2018 at 1:10 AM, AdrianMF said:

It seems to be going very well! I’m surprised at how good some of the late 50s/early 60s kits are.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian and Lawzer Hopefully the result won't disapoint

Basic sub assemblies complete except for a minor set back , While trying to straighten one U/C leg it broke and the piece has vanished . I should have another kit I  can raid if the search is not succsessful . The result should look like the lower picture . The hole for the stand will have to be filled before final clean up and priming . Thank for looking in 

Martin H

lMRVuUp.jpgiNQYETL.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Martin, did you find a replacement undercarriage leg for this Fokker?!? Looking forward to seeing this one come together. (Just had a look at your Viscount over on the 'Brits Abroad' GB and that is coming along well too). Cheers. Mike

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All 

Finally some progress . First the plastic gremlins returned the missing U/c parts . Some cabin windows have vanished into interior so Clearfix replacements will be made .The first touches of colour have been added . The fin is white although not really visible in the pic . Hope to get some green on tomorrow after some masking . I have scanned the decal sheet and printed a paper copy to use as a masking template . Still trying for the deadline .

Thanks once again for looking in 

Martin H

XeD0U4q.jpg

• Like 5

On 7/18/2018 at 4:10 PM, AdrianMF said:

It seems to be going very well! I’m surprised at how good some of the late 50s/early 60s kits are.

Regards,

Adrian

I agree some, not all, are really piquing my interest. This kit is one that I’d like to have a go at.

Great job, looking good.

• Like 2

I restored one of these years ago, landing gear up, no frills at all. It was the first time I had seen the model , never having built one before . I thought the result was very attractive.

I'm not sure where the poor reputation for the old Airfix issues came from, the quality of the kit seemed pretty high to me. Around the same time Airfix released the B17, Sunderland and Heron, all cutting edge then and still OK in my book today.

This build is another from the GB I'm really enjoying seeing come together. What on earth are we all going to do when the GB ends?

Edited by TonyW
spolling
  • Like 1