Boscombe Down Harvard IIb from Heller Texan

Hi and hello,

This is FT314 from the Harvard trio that used to fly at Boscombe Down, based on the Heller T6G kit with some modifications. The seats were replaced with Pavla examples, the canopy is from the Falcon canopy set, engine is a resin example from Wings and Wheels to replace the very basic Heller engine; the wheel wells needed quite a lot of filling to cover the gaps from the kit joins; all kit raised panel lines were rescribed; resin exhaust came from the CMR kit and decals mostly from the excellent S&M sheet but various roundels and no step decals from Tasman Sea Venom set, Airfix Harvard kit and Airfix Lysander and Blenheim IV... just remembered some of the panel lines needed modification and in some cases removal.

I have since obtained an Academy Texan and plan (plan as in long term eventually etc) to do another Harvard IV in an RAF 1950's scheme.. but using the CMR vacform canopy

o5aWozA.jpg

VtGLfck.jpg

z5cTbff.jpg

JjdVd3s.jpg

ONbFAjB.jpg

8SbSzeO.jpg

mcYxBYw.jpg

fYaug00.jpg

y3Dp0Nb.jpg

QZRzi3w.jpg

hfs5vyT.jpg

1VoM5oG.jpg

XFhr7M7.jpg

KH8sioN.jpg

Edited by Slywolff
  • Like 25

That’s just great. Hopefully you have paved the way for a mainstream model manufacturer to take notice and (finally) provide us all with a decent new tooled Harvard. Having started a similar conversion with the Acaxemy kit I can see your hard work and effort has handsomely paid off.  Very well modelled. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Very nice, but I hope you don't mind me asking why it is painted MATT yellow?  The Boscombe Harvards were all painted GLOSS Golden Yellow. Perhaps you might consider giving it a coat of Johnson's Future, or a gloss laquer? 

16 hours ago, ajmm said:

Beautiful work and great finish. And thank you for showing your workings. I’ll refer back to this. 

Hi Ajmm

Thank you for your compliment, the full build was posted on Hyperscale on the Group Build 1/72 Scale forum, from January this year till yesterday so there is more information on my build on there. Only mistake I made was when using the Falcon canopy I cut off the tail/fuselage end of the canopy... a minor mistake!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AMB said:

Very nice, but I hope you don't mind me asking why it is painted MATT yellow?  The Boscombe Harvards were all painted GLOSS Golden Yellow. Perhaps you might consider giving it a coat of Johnson's Future, or a gloss lacquer? 

Hi AMB

Yes they were all gloss but I have found that model gloss paints look too glossy on scale models.. I actually used Humbrol Satin Varnish but a bit too thinly! All the photos I have don't show off the gloss as being that vibrant.

13 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That’s just great. Hopefully you have paved the way for a mainstream model manufacturer to take notice and (finally) provide us all with a decent new tooled Harvard. Having started a similar conversion with the Acaxemy kit I can see your hard work and effort has handsomely paid off.  Very well modelled. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Hi Dave,

I certainly hope so!!!! :-) as there is a need for a decent Harvard/Texan kit, Kiwi Wings in New Zealand do a conversion set for various Harvard's, the old Heller kit has been re released through Revell but is not up to scratch compared to current kits and it is a Texan, the Academy kit which is the better of the two is out of production!! I really wish Airfix would produce one, so many countries used the Texan and Harvard!!! They would sell like lots and lots.. well I would buy a couple. Thanks for the compliments!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Great looking Harvard- well made, painted and decalled- would you recommend the Falcon canopy?

Hi Colin,

Yes I would recommend the Falcon canopy, but having looked at the CMR conversion which gives you two vacform canopies I would try getting that as the frame detail looks more prominent, besides if you are doing the IIb version you'll need the extended exhaust. Thank you for the compliments!

On 6/3/2018 at 5:04 PM, Head in the clouds. said:

Very nice and one that is on my to-do list.

You obviously have a steady hand, your re-scribing is superb.

Well what you don't see is all the little gafs which have been hidden with liquid putty!! I'm getting better at the scribbing, having practiced quite a lot, I also use a small metal ruler which actually does help with the longer panels. But it does test ones patience!!! :-)

• Like 1

Hi there,

the T-6 is already a great plane and you have made a gorgeous replica. Congratulations!

You can nonetheless see that this is a Boscombe Down kite: only there would the CO demand that the numeral 4 on the wheels always looks the right way, on both side!

Great show!

JR