Three Aden Hawker Hunters

I built these for an RAF 100 Group Build on the KG144 forum. There's a full WIP there which I'll spare you. I'm fascinated by the bush wars of the twilight years of the British Empire, of which the Radfan war of the early 1960s was a pretty nasty, brutish example. I built one FGA.9 (using the Xtradecal decals), one T.7 and one FR.10, all using the newly-released Mark1 kits which are fantastic. I added a few scratch built details around the engine intakes and the ejector seat. I used the Master Hunter pitots (incredibly fine things). The 100gal small tanks are available from Whirlybird Kits (four in a packet and very reasonably priced) and the rockets on the FGA.9 were designed by immensely talented Decapod and are available from Shapeways.

IMG_6319-L.jpg

You can also see the different nose shapes between the FR.10 and FGA.9 quite nicely.

IMG_6318-L.jpg

And finally, all together.

IMG_6322-L.jpg

IMG_6320-L.jpg

IMG_6321-L.jpg

If you haven't had a crack at a 144 Hunter, I can't recommend the experience more highly. Plenty more aftermarket options that I didn't use if you're into that. Check out Brengun's etch sets and Retrokit's early Hunter conversions for starters...

IMG_6323-L.jpg

I'm very happy with the three of them.

IMG_6324-L.jpg

Thanks very much for looking!

Angus

• Like 32

Thanks very much for the kind comments everyone - they are greatly appreciated! I’m getting that well known syndrome (modelling Stockholm syndrome?!) where I’m already yearning to build another Hunter...

Happy Sunday!

Angus

Amazing attention to detail Angus and nice choice of subject. As you are keen on old British bush wars, I was on 8 Squadron from 1962-4 and my book on Hunter operations in the Middle East (Hunters over Arabia) is due for publication later in the year and might be of interest to you. Hope I don't get shot for marketing!

• Like 1

I certainly won’t shoot you but I’ll very willingly buy your book. Fascinating subject and long overdue - will absolutely look out for that. Thank you for your kind comment. 

Edit - preordered it from Amazon. Released July 30, just in time for me to take it on holiday with me... Look forward to it. 

Edited by ajmm