1/32 Wingnut Wings Sopwith Camel F1 "Clerget"

The camel has always been my favourite WW I aircraft. perhaps it was all those Biggles books as a kid :D.. So when WNW finally released a Camel (or 5) I figured it was time to build 1.

This kit will be a number of firsts for me

• 1st WNW Kit
  • First WW I kit
  • First 1/32 kit

I've got a nice pilot figure from blackdog which I'll try to paint to a reasonable standard. Other Aftermarket is a Barracuda seat, eduard steel belts and HGW Seat belts 

I've chosen the Australian Option (flown by a Kiwi) , purely as it will be easier to get rid of when I eventually want to move it from the cabinet. 

Camel-01.jpg

After a week or so here's where I'm at

I realise stuff all of this will be seen I wanted to try out some techniques. 

The seatbelt is from HGW - it does look great but the pieces split easily when bending them, which was annoying. I've since found out that this was backing and should be removed.. Perhaps HGW should have added that little piece of info in the instructions :D .. I just glued it back together

The Seat is from Barracuda Studios and the casting is amazing... But I don't think I'd bother using one again because the kit seat is already pretty nice, most of the seat is covered in the seat belt and the whole thing will be buried in the aircraft when I put the fuselage together.

Wood effect is oil paints over Tamiya. I really enjoyed doing this and like the effects you can get. Details are painted with mainly Vallejo.

Instrument panel is from the kit. The instruments are decals and the glass effect is done with drops of UV activated glue.

I also added some extra copper wire to extend some of the pipelines. Rigging is Ezy line and invisible mending thread, I should have used plastic rod.... Turnbuckles are just paint.

Camel-02.jpg

Camel-03.jpg

Edited by Calum
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of progress images now the fuselage is together. Fit is pretty good although I had to squeeze the fuselage halves together on the underside. I ended up with a small step on the forward part of this join.

When I fitted the silver piece covering the guns I though I'd made another balls up as it wasn't flush with the rest of the fuselage. However the peices under it that were pushing out seemed like they were supposed to be there. After looking at the instructions I noticed WNW had included a photo of a Camel that shows this area nicely and confirms that the gun cover did indeed sit proud of the fuselage.

Camel-08.jpg

You can seen on the nose where I didn't clean up the sprue gate properly. Thankfully the glue didn't take so I have managed to slip a piece of sand paper in there and clean it up properly.

The rear fuselage cover part seems a tiny bit narrower than the fuselage, this may be due to me not getting the inside parts exactly right. There is a slight step on the left side as shown by the red ellipse.  

Camel-09.jpg

Edited by Calum
  • Like 6

Great work Calum, she's coming together really well... soon have that step sorted out.

I agree with the others that the wood effect looks great AND I like the seat too... looks very realistic. 

Good job :) 

The kit doesn't depict the 3 formers that run laterally across the top of the fuselage. I thought a few ways to simulate this. Probably the most accurate would be scribe a line then glue in pieces of round material, either stretched sprue, wire or plastic rod of the correct dimension. I was to lazy to do this so I used thin (0.2mm) strips of tape. I think this will look OK under some paint.

The front part around the cockpit is shown in the instructions as gloss version of the PC10.. I made it a slightly different shade by adding some black and green. I will tone it down a little as I don't like the contrast by overspraying with some light coats of PC10

Camel-10.jpg

Lots of masking and painting. The undersides are Tamiya XF 55 , as per the instructions. The upper surfaces are Mr Paint PC10 late. I lightened each of the main colours for the tapes.

Camel-11.jpg

Edited by Calum
  • Like 7

Finished the main colours. I've tried to get a contrast between the main colours and the part around the cockpit as the instructions so this part as glossy, and the rest semit gloss. I've gone for a slightly different shade

Camel-12.jpg

I'm happy enough how the tape depicting the 3 formers that run laterally across the top of the fuselage came out.

Camel-13.jpg

On the underside I simulated the underside formers by painting lighter lines, then masking over them  and painting the CDL

Camel-14.jpg

Onto the gloss coat

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

It's taken a while but I've got all the decals on and all of the sub assemblies completed, bar the bomb rack. It seems wrong to get to this stage but not have the major components assembled.

As an aside I've flat coated the model using the Australian The Scale Modellers Supply (SMS) premium flat. It dried very flat and being an acrylic lacquer it dries fast. I'm very impressed, and I think it may replace dullcoate on my paint bench as my go to flat coat.. I think I need to try their gloss.

Camel-15.jpg

• Like 7

Really lovely work, Calum.

That cabinet looked pretty full when I saw it last year - are you sure there's room for that? It would look good in my house...😉

7 hours ago, Bell209 said:

Really lovely work, Calum.

That cabinet looked pretty full when I saw it last year - are you sure there's room for that? It would look good in my house...😉

It's only little, so I think I'll find room :D 

• Like 1

Some more progress.

Following the tips in the Windsock book I have I added the pitot lines on the right hand strut. I used thin solder wire and decal for the securing straps. I had to drill a hole in the upper wing for the wire go into. 

I added the machine gun water jackets. The detail on these is as good as the Resin Eduard Brassin ones I have so I've filed those in the to sell basket.

Camel-16.jpg

Camel-17.jpg

Camel-18.jpg

Edited by Calum
  • Like 6