British Airways Boeing 727-230 (Yes BA!!) FINISHED

Unfortunately one of my intended builds for the Airfix group build has been ruled out as this particular version dates originally from 1983.

20180601_175218

So I'm intending to build the 1/44 Airfix Boeing 727-200 in the time span of the group build.  This will be one of the few 727s ever to carry British Airways livery via its franchise partner Comair of South Africa, who operated five aircraft of the type on the Johannesburg to Cape Town route.  My chosen example is ZS-NOV in the "Delftblue Daybreak" livery - the only BA 727 to have ever worn this livery.  Decals are from F-DCAL - I've recently purchased a few of their sets and hope that they are easy to apply.

20180601_175243

The first stage will be to remove the raised panel lines and fill in the windows...……….more to follow.

Regards

Mike

Edited by FortyEighter
Title change
  • Like 8

Hi Mike,

Hope you don't mind me offering some advice on your Airfix 727 build but, following on from your 737 GB BA duo, I know you care about accuracy and wanted to point out a few of the areas the kit falls down if you weren't already aware of them. The three main areas are as follows,

Firstly, you might want to insert another Daco cockpit piece as the Airfix nose isn't very good at all in much the same way as the 737-200. I haven't tried the Daco part but I would imagine it would fit with a little fettling.

Secondly, the wings do not include the leading edge fences but instead have fictional trailing edge fences instead! So these will need to be corrected.

Thirdly, the crease where the centre intake meets the leading edge of the tail is depicted as being in a straight horizontal direction, this also is not quite right but should be angled down towards the exhaust area and be blended in so it is 'softer' than on the kit. The intake also can be improved with a piece of 8.2mm diameter plastic tubing in place of the kit intake.

There is an article in the March 1999 issue of Airline Modeller which details some other corrections that I can scan and send you if you like.

Looking forward to your progress.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Mike,

Hope you don't mind me offering some advice on your Airfix 727 build but, following on from your 737 GB BA duo, I know you care about accuracy and wanted to point out a few of the areas the kit falls down if you weren't already aware of them. The three main areas are as follows,

Firstly, you might want to insert another Daco cockpit piece as the Airfix nose isn't very good at all in much the same way as the 737-200. I haven't tried the Daco part but I would imagine it would fit with a little fettling.

Secondly, the wings do not include the leading edge fences but instead have fictional trailing edge fences instead! So these will need to be corrected.

Thirdly, the crease where the centre intake meets the leading edge of the tail is depicted as being in a straight horizontal direction, this also is not quite right but should be angled down towards the exhaust area and be blended in so it is 'softer' than on the kit. The intake also can be improved with a piece of 8.2mm diameter plastic tubing in place of the kit intake.

There is an article in the March 1999 issue of Airline Modeller which details some other corrections that I can scan and send you if you like.

Looking forward to your progress.

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks for these "heads up" Ian, will look at them as I get to those stages.

Cheers 

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update:

Windows filled and panel lines on fuselage sanded off (probably won't reinstate them as not very visible in this scale).  Wings smoothed off and panel lines rescribed as ther ARE visible.

Have also decided to use my last Daco 737 nose

20180612_174310

You may notice a slightly sunken band behind the cockpit window, which needs some more filler.  Having cut out the original just behind the side windows I was surprised to find that the Daco part was much narrower than the kit fuselage.  Turns out that the kit windscreen is too far back and moving the cutout forward gave a good fit to the width.

When glued together both wings decided to warp downwards approx two thirds of the way to the tip.  Some brute force has got them looking better but I won't join them to fuselage permanently for a couple of weeks just in case more attention is needed.

• Like 4

Will have to check on Planespotters what happened to Dan Air's 727 fleet.  They still  had six when the airline finished (according to my usual source aka BA History by Keith Gaskell) but I didn't think they went to BA.

Somewhere in my brain is a little spark saying I saw an Ex-Dan Air 727 with British Airways titles at Gatwick immediately after the take over by BA.  

20 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

Somewhere in my brain is a little spark saying I saw an Ex-Dan Air 727 with British Airways titles at Gatwick immediately after the take over by BA.  

Your'e correct, BA leased a Series 100 from ATA which wore ATA colours and BA titles. 

Edited by AMB
  • Like 1

On 6/14/2018 at 4:02 PM, AMB said:

Your'e correct, BA leased a Series 100 from ATA which wore ATA colours and BA titles. 

Thank you.  I knew that little spark had something behind it.  I probably have photo's in the 30 or 40 aircraft films I have upstairs undeveloped from the 80's 90's upstairs.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 4:02 PM, AMB said:

I somehow missed this reply while on holiday - have now found a picture of it in Keith Gaskell's book - N284AT

Work has progressed slowly but it's now looking more like a 727;  horiz stabs are not glued in as they need to go on after the tailfin decals

20180704_105444

Wing to fuselage joints required a small amount of plastic putty (more underneath than on top)

PS

Forgot to say that while on holiday the starboard wing decided to warp again, so have sourced another kit to get a spare wing.  Gluing trailing edges, leaving to set and then gluing leading edges appears to have given a truer wing.

Edited by FortyEighter
Correction
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Decals applied to one side of tail area

20180729_163501

The decal for the vertical section comes as one piece but I decided to cut it into four sections to aid positioning - luckily this version of the DelftBlue design has some gaps, which helped.

• Like 7

This looks interesting and different ! ... Not a fan of those BA world thing colours . Try working on a pan looking for .. was it a tablecloth or piece of pottery/ African looking thing ? at 1am and chucking it down in Stuttgart

Here is your kite in Landor scheme , weird seeing a 72 in that. It's almost like a what if  but it's a what was !

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/6032920

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Ray S said:

That livery looks nicely different, you have done a cracking job on the kit.

All the best,

Ray

Thanks Ray, I must admit this is one of my favourites and must remember when it's finished to pose it alongside my DelftBlue 737

15 hours ago, Turbofan said:

This is looking really good Mike, on the home stretch now!

Cheers,

Ian

Well I've still got to do the windows etc on RHS Ian but at least progress can be seen once you start to apply decals to an airliner

15 hours ago, bzn20 said:

This looks interesting and different ! ... Not a fan of those BA world thing colours . Try working on a pan looking for .. was it a tablecloth or piece of pottery/ African looking thing ? at 1am and chucking it down in Stuttgart

Here is your kite in Landor scheme , weird seeing a 72 in that. It's almost like a what if  but it's a what was !

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/6032920

And some of them lasted long enough to have the current livery! https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/188034

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

have the current livery

Love that, thanks very much.... Still a bit weird though.. Sometime in the very late 60s or early 70s BEA had a visit in secret from a Boeing sales team with a 727 visit them with a view to get them off the Trident habit or on the 727 one anyway . Think it flew from Scotland ,probably Prestwick with BEA wheels on board . Obviously either Ted Heath or Basil Fawlty's 'arold bloody Wilson had other ideas

• Like 2

On 01/08/2018 at 18:39, bzn20 said:

Love that, thanks very much.... Still a bit weird though.. Sometime in the very late 60s or early 70s BEA had a visit in secret from a Boeing sales team with a 727 visit them with a view to get them off the Trident habit or on the 727 one anyway . Think it flew from Scotland ,probably Prestwick with BEA wheels on board . Obviously either Ted Heath or Basil Fawlty's 'arold bloody Wilson had other ideas

Boeing even allocated the customer code 18 (ie 727-218) to BEA in anticipation of orders. 

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, halcyonjet said:

Boeing even allocated the customer code 18

Thanks for that info . Didn't know  that .18 is still BEA , I just checked the list of Boeing codes , never been reallocated which is surprising . Do you think it could been for the 737s ? They were after those around the time BAC came up with the 1-11 -500 and again stamped on anything not British for BEA by the Govt.

Edited by bzn20