Out of the Box Models 1/72 Yak-9T (Crowdfunding)

John Thompson

The key message to all concerned is the old one:  if it looks far too good to be true, then it probably is.  I didn't buy into this, mainly for that reason.  I'm glad that Dan turned out to be honest and just overambitious, but do feel that success does require rather more understanding of just what is involved in meeting promises and a better grasp of the costs involved.

• 9 months later...

Dude!  $20 for the chance of a new YAK-9T.....That was always worth a punt.

I'm sad that it didn't work out, but fair play to Dan for giving it a shot and also for looking after his backers when things didn't turn out as he hoped.....What more could you ask of him?

• Like 2

On 10/27/2019 at 12:26 PM, Aardvark said:

As for me, it’s completely not clear why to make another Yak-9T at 72m scale in resin if there is a model from Dakoplast?  

Since the project of this topic will no longer be implemented, as is clear from the messages of the author of the project, I will probably answer my own question.

The information was available to me relatively recently, so the answer is only now, besides piston engine fighter (also bomber, cargo e.t.c) it's not my thematic, but I always try to spread information that can help other modelers, even if this information is not a priority for my collection and me personally.

So, the main problem of the Yak-9 from Dakoplast and their clones from Valom (if I remember correctly) is the irregular shape of the engine nacelle from the top in section. On model top section nacelle close to egg, but on real aircraft top section nacelle close to section nacelle Spitfire, 

that is, it is flatter on top than on the Dakoplast models! With this shape of the engine nacelle, a real VK-105 scaled down to scale 72 would simply have pierced the upper sides of the fuselage of the Dakoplast model!

For best understand this  photo correction set which was made by one modeler, for himself and some modeller's from the site scalemodels.ru:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/img_1617177_1588742241_5.jpg.html

Link to topic where is the photo correction set:

(Yes, it's topic where topicstarter building Yak-28 from A-model, and in process maked  nacelle correction set and for Yak-28, and for Yak-9! 😁):

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic.php?t=80743&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

So there really on today is no accurate Yak-9 in 72nd scale.

B.R.

Serge

P.S.

I also apologize,  about  my  not correct

statements (

of course they would not have been if the reaction had been faster)

in this topic regarding the author of the failed project, because he turned out to be a decent and honest person. 

5 hours ago, Aardvark said:

So, the main problem of the Yak-9 from Dakoplast and their clones from Valom (if I remember correctly) is the irregular shape of the engine nacelle from the top in section. On model top section nacelle close to egg, but on real aircraft top section nacelle close to section nacelle Spitfire, that is, it is flatter on top than on the Dakoplast models!

For best understand this  photo correction set which was made by one modeler, for himself and some modeller's from the site scalemodels.ru:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/img_1617177_1588742241_5.jpg.html

Link to topic where is the photo correction set:

(Yes, it's topic where topicstarter building Yak-28 from A-model, and in process maked  nacelle correction set and for Yak-28, and for Yak-9! 😁😞

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic.php?t=80743&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

So there really on today is no accurate Yak-9 in 72nd scale.

B.R.

Serge

Thank you for that, Serge! I hope you don't mind me editing your post just to reduce its size. As much as I like the Dakoplast Yak-9 kits, you are right, and the market is wide open for a manufacturer (finally!) to produce an accurate and well-detailed 1/72 kit of this very important aircraft.

The correction parts shown in the first link look very much like the upper cowling sections from the Amodel Yak-9P, Yak-9U, and Yak-3/VK-107A. I believe these could be used to correct the Dakoplast nose, with a bit of work, even though these aircraft had the VK-107A engine. If so, at least one of the three Amodel kits has two of these panels, so robbing one to correct the Dakoplast nose would not prevent you from building the Amodel kit. Hmmm - well, excuse me - I have something important to do in the basement - thank you for the inspiration!

John

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Out of the Box Models lives again! Here is their range of 3D-printed Yak-9's:

https://ootbmodels.myshopify.com/search?q=Yak-9&options[prefix]=last

@orionfield

Yes, I ordered one of each!!! :thumbsup:

Other OOTB news:

Currently Available: 
Yak-9D
Yak-9P
Yak-9T
PGM-11A Redstone
Jupiter A Rocket
Jupiter C Rocket
Juno I Rocket

Currently in Progress:
Boeing Skyfox
Mercury Redstone Rocket
Windecker YE-5A

Future Aircraft Queue:
Vought V-354 Corsair Trainer
Vought XF4U-1 Corsair
Vought XF4U-3 Corsair
Vought V-326
Vought V-141
Vought V-143
Northrop 3-A
North American TF-51D Mustang
Cavalier TF-51D Mustang
Cavalier F-51D
Piper PA-48 Enforcer
Beechcraft SNB-3Q
Bell XH-40
Ikarus S-49
Thomas-Morse MB-3
Vought VE-7

Future Rocket Queue:
Redstone-Sparta
Little Joe
V-2
Bumper
Atlas A
Atlas B
Mercury Atlas
Atlas Agena
Atlas V Rocket with CST-100 Starliner
Gemini Titan
Saturn IB
Little Joe II
Saturn V
Saturn V Skylab
R-7 Sputnik
R-7 Vostok
R-7 Voshkod
Soyuz FG
Electron
SLS
Delta IV Heavy (Exploration I)
New Shepard
Falcon 9 Crew Dragon
Falcon Heavy
Starship Prototypes
Starship Ship 20, Booster 4
Starship Ship 24, Booster 7

John

• Like 6

I'll wait till you receive your kits, John, before plunking down my money. It will be interesting to see if they got the wing placement correct on the Yak-9P. Hopefully all the kits will be very nice!

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Learstang said:

I'll wait till you receive your kits, John, before plunking down my money. It will be interesting to see if they got the wing placement correct on the Yak-9P. Hopefully all the kits will be very nice!

Concur. We need the expert opinion of Mr. Yak hisself in order to make an informed purchase. That said, woo hoo!    😀

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Learstang said:

Regards,

Jason

Yes, I was wondering about the same thing. We'll soon know - I got a shipping notification from OOTB this afternoon.

2 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Concur. We need the expert opinion of Mr. Yak hisself in order to make an informed purchase. That said, woo hoo!    😀

Cheers,

Bill

Oh, please - but thank you (I think); I'm only an eager enthusiast, not an expert. I don't know how objective I can be!

John

• Like 2

4 hours ago, John Thompson said:

Out of the Box Models lives again! Here is their range of 3D-printed Yak-9's:

https://ootbmodels.myshopify.com/search?q=Yak-9&options[prefix]=last

@orionfield

Yes, I ordered one of each!!! :thumbsup:

John, the prices in his shop are shown in Euros. The shipment is made from Europe?

TIA

Carlos

33 minutes ago, CarLos said:

John, the prices in his shop are shown in Euros. The shipment is made from Europe?

TIA

Carlos

The page seems to be programmed to show the price in any currency, based on where you're located. I keep getting it displaying in Canadian dollars, because that's where I live. The product is made in, and shipped from, the USA.

John

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, John Thompson said:

The page seems to be programmed to show the price in any currency, based on where you're located. I keep getting it displaying in Canadian dollars, because that's where I live. The product is made in, and shipped from, the USA.

John

Entering the page from a smaller nation (Norway), the prices come up in USD.

I think it it will show major currencies like Euro and CAD based on the IP addresses.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 352nd Fighter Group said:

never built a 3D kit are thay good 

It depends on your skill level. if you are confident building a good quality resin kit you should have no problem. My first and second 3D printed kits (FK.3 and DH.50) are here.

I did not have any real problems and the DH.50 would have to be at the difficult end of kits. I pretty much guarantee that the Yak-9 will be easier to assemble.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Learstang said:

Regards,

Jason

16 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Cheers,

Bill

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I'm keen to see how John gets on with this. The price to New Zealand seemed reasonable, I might well look at a 9T, the mentioned Piper Enforcer got the heart beating quicker though. 🤞

Steve.

No pressure... :frantic::whip:

John

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/18/2022 at 12:07 PM, 352nd Fighter Group said:

never built a 3D kit are thay good 

are thay Limited run or ilke a Eduard kit 

is the fit good or bad ?

The models are printed in Resin, so they should go together like any other resin kit. (expect that the parts fit together better, cince 3D printing is more precise than casting.)

To add onto the, discussion, I was having some printing issues with the Yaks, and had to give the files to a friend to fix, I am hoping to have that done this week finally, and get the orders sent out finally.  

Edited by orionfield
Mistake
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1