Out of the Box Models 1/72 Yak-9T (Crowdfunding)

John Thompson

Hi Dan! With major thanks to Sergey Kosachev for his guidance, I've forwarded a new set of drawings to you; please let me know when (or if!!) you receive them. I had some problems on my end, probably due to file size.

John

Edited by John Thompson
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2018 at 6:19 AM, John Thompson said:

Hi Dan! With major thanks to Sergey Kosachev for his guidance, I've forwarded a new set of drawings to you; please let me know when (or if!!) you receive them. I had some problems on my end, probably due to file size.

John

Got them, thanks, I gave them to the engineer. He is still reviewing them

it might be just me, but it seems that the tail unit's leading edge angle to fuselage is slightly off? To my eye, it should "lean forward" slightly from where it is now, to reflect typical Yakovlev's tail shape better.

But, it is subjective and I might be wrong... 

Hello!

I know it may be rude to give advice without anyone asking so pardon that.

When I saw how You approach the fuselage modelling, I thought to describe how I would do the WING and EMPENNAGE 3d modelling (I do something similar for living).

For the aerodynamic surfaces You will need:

1. Root airfoil and chord and location to datum

2. Tip airfoil and chord and location to datum

3. The possible geometric twist (I think the Yak-9 had no twist = root and tip arifoil do have the same incidence angle)

So in 3d world you need two curves (only). Create blend  (Creo) or extrude (Solidworks) between them - distance between them has to be known - and you are done for the basic wing or similar geometry (after mirroring, of course).

Wing/empennage tips are challenging. I have got best results by using airfoils with exact chord taken from top planform geometry (not too many!) the one at tip very tiny. Soliworks has somewhat better tools to handle the extreme tip.

For surface details I have no advice. But Yak had wooden wing covered with thin fabric, puttied and painted. Upper side smoot  as a silk save the fuel filler cap and fuel meter (round gauge, Pilawskii's site used to have good info EDIT it's still alive!: http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/Research/Yakovlev/FuelGauges/index.php ). The fuel tank covers on underside wings are visible. Of course landing flap gaps/hinge and aileron gaps, too.

Yak-9 used 14% thick YH Clark airfoil at root and 10% thick YH Clark airfoil at tip. Thickness% is local (wing) thickness divided by local chord ( t/c).

http://m-selig.ae.illinois.edu/ads/aircraft.html

Clark Y and YH family airfoils are almost flat at bottom most of the chord:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clark_Y

You sould get the Clark Y airfoil coordinates from here:

http://m-selig.ae.illinois.edu/ads.html

Empennage airfoils (horizontals and verticals) are almost always 10% or thinner and symmetric airfoils like NACA 0009 (9% thick). Even if not, it approximates reality better than most of kits.

Wing and empennage thicknesses seem even today be problem for many kit manufacturers. Getting them right will make any kit looking better..

Have to stop now.  I wish You a success with this project,

Kari

Edited by Kari Lumppio
clean up after hasty typing
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

That's really excellent, Kari! Thank you for taking the time to give Dan and his team the benefit of your expertise; I assume they can follow up with you if they require any explanation. It's good to see some of the "heavy hitters" like you and Sergey offering support for this project.

John

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the latest update. If the overall shape looks right, we can move on to surface details and more internal details, I attached a picture of our first run at the cockpit.

43513150681_850ce512e0_b.jpg43513151211_c916280fed_b.jpg

• Like 4

Good to see some progress! It's hard to tell a lot from one angular view, but the windscreen's centre panel is much too narrow; also, you might want to double-check the shape of the wingtips.

John

19 minutes ago, John Thompson said:

Good to see some progress! It's hard to tell a lot from one angular view, but the windscreen's centre panel is much too narrow; also, you might want to double-check the shape of the wingtips.

John

What you see is the left half of the whole windscreen. For a reason, the fuselage is displayed in merged left + right parts but the windshield only in half.

8 hours ago, UpperDeck said:

What you see is the left half of the whole windscreen. For a reason, the fuselage is displayed in merged left + right parts but the windshield only in half.

Thanks for clearing that up. I assure you that everything is as close to the drawings as we can get, but I will have Goran double check the wing tips

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, orionfield said:

I think unless you guys see an glaring mistakes, we can proceed to breaking the kit up into parts, and start test printing, so maybe a month or two away from shipment?

That seems like an aggressive timetable, but it would be great if you can achieve it! I'd love to see a really accurate big-gun Yak in 1/72nd scale.

Best Regards,

Jason

16 hours ago, orionfield said:

I think unless you guys see an glaring mistakes, we can proceed to breaking the kit up into parts, and start test printing, so maybe a month or two away from shipment?

Might be a good idea to send a test print to someone like @John Thompson first, so he check it out physically, rather than just looking at the CAD. Once he's happy with it, then production printing can proceed. I wouldn't want to have you ship out all the kits, only later to find there was an issue. But perhaps this was your plan all along?

I can't wait to see the kit. It will be my first exposure to 3D printing in this hobby.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 4

On 8/31/2018 at 9:37 AM, Navy Bird said:

Might be a good idea to send a test print to someone like @John Thompson first, so he check it out physically, rather than just looking at the CAD. Once he's happy with it, then production printing can proceed. I wouldn't want to have you ship out all the kits, only later to find there was an issue. But perhaps this was your plan all along?

I can't wait to see the kit. It will be my first exposure to 3D printing in this hobby.

Cheers,

Bill

Well, I wouldn't say no to that idea, although the only subject I consider myself to be an expert on is rhubarb pie. Sure, Dan - if this idea is agreeable to you, please PM me on this board and I'll give you my mailing address, if you haven't already got it.

John

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Being somewhat persistent, I have been in touch with Dan from OOBM and here's an edited version of his latest statement.........

Out of the Box is essentially a one-man operation, and this is a side project. I employ a number of freelance engineers to execute the projects, and I manage them all in my free time, but this is not my full-time job.  I just don't have the time to update every channel for every project. I want everything we release to be of the highest quality possible, and that takes time. The Yak-9T had to be completely redone because it was not created properly for 3D printing. My chief engineer has been working nonstop to get it printable and the CAD work is almost done. We will get this done and released as soon as we can.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I have had a couple of emails from Dan of Out of the Box Models. I have appointed myself his nemesis, PR consultant and forum agent. I am not sure he appreciates this but at least he is replying to me. He says............

I am really sorry. The Yak is done, but we're having issues printing it. Trying to make some small modifications, but I have really spread myself too thin right now to post on ANY forums.
I wish I could give you a date. I am hoping to have a test print done some time in the next few weeks. If it turns out alright, I will get the orders out!

So, all is not yet lost on the Yak 9T front!

On 6/16/2018 at 1:08 AM, John Thompson said:

I'm sorry to contradict you, but the several preserved Yak-9 aircraft you've identified are all later aircraft, either Yak-9U or Yak-9P. These aircraft had the VK-107A engine, and a substantially different fuselage and other details from the earlier, VK-105-powered versions of the Yak-9.

Some resources say that the VK-107 engine was so unreliable that instead of it, the VK-105 was installed.

With engines in general, everything is very interesting.  I personally watched (and shoot photo) the engine with the Yak-1M, which was found here, on which VK-106 was written!  What luck I thought then, because the VK-106 is a very rare series Yak-1! But....the engine plant just made of the remnants of the bodies of the VK-105 engines not launched into the VK-106 series ... leaving behind the stigma of the VK-106.

B.w. Jak-9T was unification with  Jak-9M, and have modification Jak-9TD with 20-mm gun & more fuel tank inside.

About Yak-7/Yak-9

have 43 pages  topic on Russian:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9320&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

There you can find answers to many questions.

On 6/17/2018 at 5:08 PM, John Thompson said:

Also interesting to know the background on the Yakovlev OKB collection and its new owner - another oligarch enjoying his wealth? 

History Yakovlev OKB collection???

The collection was formed at the Yakovlev Design Bureau in accordance with the personal order of Yakovlev  in Soviet period.

After the collapse of the USSR, Yakovlev Design Bureau actually went bankrupt, because ...... we will not talk about politics ...... and there was a threat over the collection to be thrown into a landfill. Something as a result of fraud and dirty deals turned out to be in the West (such as the Yak-3

http://rucompromat.com/articles/vadim_zadorozhnyiy_prikryivaetsya_vitse-premerom_chtobyi_ne vozvraschat_yak-3_feroponta_golovatogo_v_saratov

), but the main part was bought by Zadorozhny for his museum.

https://ru.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Музей_техники_Вадима_Задорожного

There is no Wikipedia article about Zadorozhny himself, but there is something here:

https://automobili.ru/live/persons/culture/a-matter-of-life/

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Squadron commander 265 IAP, Senior Lieutenant Konstantin Ivanovich Golberg - 12 air victory ...and + 12 locomotive destroyed on the ground, three times awarded the Order of the Red Banner.went missing in the area of the town of Valga, the Estonian USSR, in fact was captured.  In the summer of 1945, he repatriated from captivity and passed a special inspection in 33 reserve infantry divisions of the Moscow Military District.  After passing the test, he continued his service in air defense aviation.  By the Decree of the USSR AFP from 08-07-1967 he was awarded the honorary title "Honored Military Pilot":

26668239.jpg

Charging the ammunition for the NS-37 in Golberg plane.  (From  Journal Combat Action 265 IAP

records: "By-passing attack destroyed: by Mr. Skryag - 2 cars, st.lolt Golberg knocked out a tank." (15-08-1944)):

26668240.jpg

Double aircraft number (new white "19" 

265 IAP & old factory "42")

with quick identification element - white fin:

26668253.jpg

Resource with main article:"265 IAP: in August 44th ..." & more 

photo here: 
https://zaika70.livejournal.com/61373.html

Important information.  Be very very careful with using this photo for commercial purposes without agreeing with its owner 

https://zaika70.livejournal.com

It is also not desirable to post photos without link to 

https://zaika70.livejournal.com

for non-commercial purposes.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 3

Nice photographs, Serge - look at the size of those shells! It's interesting to see how the Hucks starter 'dog' fit around the 37-mm cannon barrel.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

• 2 months later...

Any further news on this scam? I've seen on several ship model sites that some of the other crowdfunding projects from this company have run into 'unexpected' problems with plans, printing, etc. 🙄, with it quite likely nothing will ever be delivered or heard from these guys again. If it's too good to be true...

• 4 weeks later...

No, there is no further news beyond an apology from Out-of-the-box Models!

I did my best to keep him motivated, but............

I really wanted to get this to work, but even my optimism is running out. Believe me. We don't have any money...we have been broke for a while. I really wanted this to work, but it just didn't. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1