Out of the Box Models 1/72 Yak-9T (Crowdfunding)

John Thompson

Out of the Box Models is crowdfunding a 1/72 3D-printed Yak-9T project; see here if interested:

https://outoftheboxmodels.com/collections/crowdfunding-projects/products/crowdfunding-1-72-scale-yakovlev-yak-9t

The goal is 20 preorders before the project goes ahead.

John

• Like 2

I gave it a shot, ordered one sight unseen and with absolutely no knowledge of the company or its capabilities. Sometimes you just gotta live on the edge.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 9

53 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

I gave it a shot, ordered one sight unseen and with absolutely no knowledge of the company or its capabilities. Sometimes you just gotta live on the edge.

Cheers,

Bill

Yeah, strap in, Goose - we're heading for the Slightly Risky Zone! Actually I'm thinking of bumping my order up to maybe three units, if the postage cost is negotiable for a larger order, but that's just me being psychotic...:rolleyes:

John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Thompson said:

Yeah, strap in, Goose - we're heading for the Slightly Risky Zone! Actually I'm thinking of bumping my order up to maybe three units, if the postage cost is negotiable for a larger order, but that's just me being psychotic...:rolleyes:

I have one of the Dakoplast kits, plus most of the (admittedly meager) available aftermarket. I think I'm more interested in seeing the quality of a fully 3-D printed kit, which I have to believe is the future of the hobby.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Sometimes you just gotta live on the edge.

I almost joined you but I’m guessing UK postage would make it a dumb idea

$8.00 shipping for me, and sales tax was added...which means, I suppose, that the manufacturer is in New York state (where I am). Ah...just looked at the web site again. They're in "Central New York."

Cheers,

Bill

Posting this for Dan at Out of the Box because he doesn't (yet) have an account here:

"Just FYI to anyone who has ordered a Crowdfunding unit, your shipping has been refunded, and there will be no shipping costs any new orders. Even international."

So, free shipping on any and all orders for at least this Yak-9 project - c'mon, guys, let's get those orders happening! :thumbsup:

A further comment from Dan:

"I don't have an account at Britmodeller, so if you be so kind as to let them all know about the policy change, that would be great! I really want to make this project, and any future projects a reality...Anyone up for a Boeing T-43?"

(And no, I have no personal stake in this, except to help in whatever way I can in order to get that Yak-9T in my mucky little paws...)

John

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

I received the refund on the shipping (and associated tax as I'm in NY). Thanks Dan!   :)  :)

Cheers,

Bill

Same here - $18 US express shipping cost from US to Canada, refunded to my PayPal account.

John

Sold out now.

The initial production batch is 20. There is likely an opportunity to purchase after successful completion which would entail less risk but more cost.

Those who have purchased may want to also invest in Foxbot Decals 72-001 which contains a good number of Yak-9T schemes.

http://foxbot.com.ua/72-001-u.html

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

..So there's only one preorder left now, who will it be we wonder?  :hmmm:

That could be me. I initially went on the site & was part way through the ordering process when I came across the staggering postage rates whereupon I aborted the order. Dan noticed & mailed me to ask why I had not completed. I told him I'd like to support him but at $20 for the kit & $18 for the postage I felt it was a non starter. Anyway, long story short, he decided to cancel the postage so I placed my order again. Pretty psyched to see how this works out,

cheers,

dave

• Like 1

I just wanted to thank everyone who participated in our first aircraft Crowdfund! I will be starting a development thread here and on a couple other sites, so that you guys can full transparency into what we're doing, and can give your input we go. Now that Out of the Box has funded 3 crowdfund successfully, and are 3 and 5 units away from completing two more, I think we have a good idea at how to get these done now. We are going to limit crowdfunds to 4 at a time per model type, ie. 4 Ship crowdfunds, 4 Planes funds, 4 railroad funds, and 4 armor funds if anyone ever suggests one. Any other nominations we get will go into a queue and be released as soon as one of the 4 existing funds either gets funded, or time runs out. 

• Like 6

Thanks Stew! Its come to my attention that some people have been asking for sample photos of our previously 3D printed projects. You can get some sense of two of our three printing options here. I will update that page as soon as I get some stuff printed on our new Formlabs Form2 3D Printer. Mind you, the M88A1 in those photos is printed in N scale (1/160) so its pretty tiny, but we put a lot of detail into it. 

yes, thanks saw those. Wondering what a 3D-printed aircraft looks like.  Does it come "pre-assembled" as it were? You do say there can be some variation in part size over a certain size

55 minutes ago, FalkeEins said:

yes, thanks saw those. Wondering what a 3D-printed aircraft looks like.  Does it come "pre-assembled" as it were? You do say there can be some variation in part size over a certain size

Good questions.  It wont be one piece. The parts breakdown would be similar to a resin kit, definitely less parts than an injection Molded kit. It will not be pre assembled, it will go together like most any other kit you're used to. It may require slightly more sanding than a normal kit, bit it shouldn't be too bad. 

As far as variation, Shapeways is having some calibration issues, and parts that over 100mm aren't guaranteed to be accurate when printed in their FXD and FUD formats, so our solution to that is not use them for parts larger than 100mm. GoEngineer has no such issues, and don't foresee it being a issue for us, since we have 3 different printing methods to choose from.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, orionfield said:

Thanks Stew! Its come to my attention that some people have been asking for sample photos of our previously 3D printed projects. You can get some sense of two of our three printing options here. I will update that page as soon as I get some stuff printed on our new Formlabs Form2 3D Printer. Mind you, the M88A1 in those photos is printed in N scale (1/160) so its pretty tiny, but we put a lot of detail into it. 

At first I thought that was a (not very good TBH) Braille model, so to discover it's actually 1/160 was a great relief.....I'm intrigued to see how this project comes out, I can certainly think of zillions of things you could make if the detail's up to it.