Pete's Airfix 1\300 Golden Hind

I have decided to throw this one in as a practice kit before the main event and having checked out scalemates I hay have a contender as the earliest mould as it seems to date back to 1952 with only reboxings please correct me if I am wrong40686958430_3afd16e051_c.jpg

• Like 4

The Golden Hind was the first official Airfix kit. The Ferguson Tractor was earlier but was a promotional item done for Ferguson dealers and was not commercially available until later. The Golden Hind probably wasn't available for sale until 1953 or 54.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is James May territory stuff - he might be on soon to comment about this. (I often wonder if he does look at forums like this?) I believe this 1952 entry will sit at the very top of the GB build list so that's one way to see yourself on top of the perch. Good luck and please photograph both ships together once there done as we all love those 'scaled' photographs that appear every now and again. 

Cheers.. Dave . 

• Like 3

Yes, this is definitely 'an original' - no sign of new tooling anywhere. My Dad built one of these before I even got started - the waterline kit on a 'sea' base, all painted too! Hope you don't get cross-eyed painting yours!

• Like 2

I'm really pleased to see this one too :)

My earliest recollection of my dad making an Airfix kit was also a small galleon, but a waterline (like Ventora3300's dad).  I'm pretty sure it was the Santa Maria.

• Like 2

Great to see you doing this. 

It was my first ever model made without help from my father. I didn't know it was also the first Airfix kit

Thanks for posting 

Colin 

• Like 1

Peter, the flags should be flying towards the bows of the ship rather than the stern as that's the way the wind is blowing. If you can turn them round it will be much better :innocent:

• Like 1