Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Lancaster.

Laying down my marker for an interesting build for me, hopefully I can complete the whole set within the time limit but it should be a fun project.  Here's the set I will be using.....

41759657534_02a2b8f323.jpg

Edited by Blitz23
link correction
  • Like 7

Just now, Blitz23 said:

Laying down my marker for an interesting build for me, hopefully I can complete the whole set within the time limit but it should be a fun project.

41759657534_02a2b8f323.jpg10600-BBMF_1 by Lee Baker-Wilmot, on Flickr

Which one are you doing first - or do you have a big enough bench to work on all 3...

...it would save time when it comes the dark earth / dark green painting sessions.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Which one are you doing first - or do you have a big enough bench to work on all 3...

...it would save time when it comes the dark earth / dark green painting sessions.

Probably tackle the fighters first, don't get a lot of time at the bench as I'm away a lot in the week but it should be fairly easy to get the fighters done.  Hopefully the decals are useable if not at least I get to choose some new schemes for the memorial flight 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Ratch said:

I made this set many times - a nostalgia trip for me 😍

I believe I ma have seen your build of this set on Airfix Forum, unless it's someone who goes by the same name.  Certainly holds some nostalgia for me, I remember getting this one Christmas as a kid.

• Like 2

Yup that was one of them. I also remember buying a load of constituent kits that had been split up by a trader at Duxford (I think they were the 10999 sets) 🤓

• Like 3

This set will be a worthy addition to the GB. 

With three kits in the box having all different year releases, I'm not quite where to place it within the GB build list. 

I might make up a seperate section for these 'multiple boxings' as I'm sure we will get more than one. 

Cheers and good luck with all these builds.. Dave 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

This set will be a worthy addition to the GB. 

With three kits in the box having all different year releases, I'm not quite where to place it within the GB build list. 

I might make up a seperate section for these 'multiple boxings' as I'm sure we will get more than one. 

Cheers and good luck with all these builds.. Dave 

Hi Rabbit Leader, I'm considering not doing the authentic BBMF schemes and choosing other schemes available to give it my own take but that could be pricey with all the aftermarket decals I'd have to buy. So if needs be I could make separate threads for each build, but I plan to display them on the stand flying.

• Like 3

The only problem with doing the BBMF as authentic models...is that you may well need to modify the kits as the planes and markings are often not completely historically accurate (though I think they are more so nowadays).  For example I have a set of older aftermarket decals for P7350 that when so marked sported go-faster prop and exhausts compared to its period appearance!

Still, the advantages are no weathering or matt finish are required!

I'll get me :coat:

Cheers

Will

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Chaps just a quick correction, it's actually this boxing I'll be modelling...

20189SDC15710

Kit is on order, looking forward to cracking on with the builds!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Blitz23 said:

Chaps just a quick correction, it's actually this boxing I'll be modelling...

20189SDC15710

Kit is on order, looking forward to cracking on with the builds!

Blitz23, I just recently did a check on these sets for someone else and the Hurricane IIC is post 1980 - other boxings of the BoB set had the Hurricane I which was pre-1980. Worth checking when it arrives - sorry. The Lancastet B.III was OK and I thought that the Spitfire IIA even though issued after 1980 was OK as just 'new parts' added to the pre-1980 Spitfire I. All sounds a bit complicated, doesn't it? Regards, Mike.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

Blitz23, I just recently did a check on these sets for someone else and the Hurricane IIC is post 1980 - other boxings of the BoB set had the Hurricane I which was pre-1980. Worth checking when it arrives - sorry. The Lancastet B.III was OK and I thought that the Spitfire IIA even though issued after 1980 was OK as just 'new parts' added to the pre-1980 Spitfire I. All sounds a bit complicated, doesn't it? Regards, Mike.

Ahhh bugger, well I shall see what it says when the kit turns up.  Maybe I'll just focus on the Lancaster for the GB but regardless I was keen on having the set anyways as a nice little display piece and just to think I very nearly bought an Airfix Hampden yesterday too!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It was me who asked about this kit, which I snuggly bought for £8, because of the doubt I have decided to turn the Lanc into  a Lincoln using the Paragon conversion and as soon as I can get to it a good old Bristol Bulldog will be my GB instead.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bristol boy said:

It was me who asked about this kit, which I snuggly bought for £8, because of the doubt I have decided to turn the Lanc into  a Lincoln using the Paragon conversion and as soon as I can get to it a good old Bristol Bulldog will be my GB instead.

What a bargain, I'll post up the year of each kit in the set when it arrives for everyone's info. 

• Like 1

So kits arrived box a bit worse for wear but all the kits still neatly sealed.  Looking over the kits I can't find any date stamps anywhere on any of the plastic so that's leaving me with a dilemma on whether all 3 will be entered into the GB.  Debating on just entering the Lancaster on its own, also no stand with this boxing so now I  have to source an appropriate stand to display them in flight.  If anyone knows any suggestions that would be rather handy. Finally the decals aren't looking to hot, the spitfire ones seem to have to have some sort of overspray on so they're definitely out but I may have spares.  Overall though I'm happy and eager to get started!

• Like 2

On 01/06/2018 at 14:32, Ratch said:

The Hurricane is actually the Heller kit (269) from 1977 😉

And a lovely little kit in it's own right too.

• Like 1

Few sprue and obligatory box shots...

20180609_201306

20180609_201316

20180609_201417

So looks like the Hurricane is off the menu so I'm now left with just the Spitfire and the Lancaster.  Decals for the spitfire don't seem great so I'm going to research previous BBMF schemes or just choose another one I like.  As for the Lancaster I'm leaning toward doing the Phantom of the Ruhr scheme with the 100 Sqn codes one side and 550 Sqn the other. Considering  just building the Lancaster for the GB though now, I'm back at work so I'll mull it over for the week 🤔

• Like 4

If you do the Lanc then I will be watching very closely.As I have the same boxing and am still wanting to do it but only time will tell.

Regards:

Shaun

• Like 1

Browsing the web tonight I found this, 

41883326325_f1a885250a_b.jpg

Thought this set of A/C would quite cool to model, would mean acquiring a Mk V but Kingkit have them cheap and I've sourced all the decals on Hannants 👍🏻 Anyone know where I can find stands for 3 ship or 5 ship formations? I only have a two ship airfix one. Will be making a start on the Lanc this weekend.

• Like 3

A small update of what I managed to do this weekend, unfortunately no where near as much as I wanted...

20180617_172217

Primed the fighters interior ready for paint next weekend. I have decided this GB for me will focus on the Lancaster but as they're a set I will document all 3 for the fun of it.  I've had a few ideas floating round my head which could even include replacing the Hurricane and Spitfire with alternative kits such as the Academy Mk iib and AZ Model Mk IX Spit to give me the BBMF line up I want. As I plan to do them all in flight the Heller kit doesn't make this an easy option. Although another idea I've had is the Spit and Hurricane wheels down on a coastal kits base with the Lancaster flying over but we shall see.

Back to the Lanc though and some assembly has began, going old school and building within the box lid.

20180617_172918

Starboard wing was as far as I managed to get this weekend bar cutting out parts and sanding them, needs some gaps filling and sanding.  I'll make up the Port wing next and then focus on the turrets and interior.

• Like 6