A bit of a jet...Airfix Mig-15 OOB except where it's not...

Earyl Airfix plastic can get a bit confusing.

The first issue MIG 15 had a cross hatched pattern cast at the wing roots on both wings. Later isues had just a raised outline in its place.

On some kits the early versions were a whole lot cleaner than the later ones when Airfix first employed their famous riveter The Spitfire, Ju87, Typhoon and Hurricane all come to mind here. All had much more restrained detailing than the later ones.

• Like 1

Yes Tony.  Restrained is a good word.  Sparse, too...very few rivets here, which is good.

I have constructed some new landing gear.  We'll see.  I'll post some pictures when the glue dries fully.

• Like 1

Ok...I have made a decision after sleeping on it.  I'm going to save this photo etch for the new tool Mig-15.  I tried my hand at scratching the gear and they didn't work out well.  I'm not happy with it.  I'l stick to OOB as much as I can.  Sorry if this disappoints anyone.

As for the DDR camo, this one is a silver job.  I picked up some new colour at the LHS in Athens that I want to try out.  

• Like 5

By the gods...what will it take for me to build this thing?  So many false starts, "will I?"  "won't I"...I finally made up my mind and just started.

The kit looks pretty good  and even the decals are alright--no yellowing, no cracks.  This was a properly stored vintage box for sure.

In fact, as I write this, I am tempted to use the Polish markings as 346 and keep it as OOB as possible...hmmm...well, lets get cracking!

Primer first!

29170083468_f984f4cff9_z_d.jpg

The plastic is quite thin, especially along the leading and trailing edges.  The lack of detail in some areas (air brakes, cockpit, landing gear) will allow for a certain amount of detailing that will, I hope, fill in the visual gaps in this very rudimentary, Level 1, kit.  

Tak, moi drodzy...Podjąłem decyzję!  Srebrny Polski ptak!  Zdrowie!

-John

• Like 4

On might think a small charge has gone off on the desk...This happens occasionally.  I suddenly realize that I have used 15 different tools and not put them back in their jars.  Chaos!  

I have been trying to fit some Evergreen into the spaces fore and aft of the cockpit.  I will need a place to mount the gunsight in front and fill in the glaringly large hole behind the headrest.  You can just see them, in yellow, attached to one half of the fuselage.  In the end these will not be the right size but will serve as support for something more slick.  I hope.

42332560084_6580bf174b_z_d.jpg

Next...the pilot's seat gets an upgrade from this...

41240739470_6628a84bcd_z_d.jpg

...to this.

42332559614_a8d2efdc6c_z_d.jpg

It's not perfect, but it will certainly look better beneath the canopy.  'Nuff for tonight...

--John

• Like 4

Oh Evergreen, oh Evergreen, what I do without you...🎶

I have built this kit before, but not like this. I blame all of you, Moa especially...😉

Exhaust tube, air brakes and cockpit doo-dads...

The opening for the non-existent exhaust tube measures 5mm.  The diameter of a common drinking straw is 6.5mm.  So I snipped off a bit of straw, cut it lengthwise and it actually rolled up into smaller diameter!  Guess what size?  Yes...5.5mm.  This means it fits loosely, but snug right inside the opening.

29193484088_d69b9b6133_z_d.jpg

Air brakes.  Yuck.  The kit supplied units are horrible.  Thick with two large sinkholes.  What shall I do?

29193483738_da68cbc858_z_d.jpg

That's better! Not perfect, but better.

29193483198_52e37e5e2f_z_d.jpg

The 'hinges' will be scrapped for something  little more realistic looking.

The cockpit details are important, but I have no idea what any of these dials and knobs do.  Visually, it think it will work.  The two rectangular pieces will go on either side of the inside fuselage, next to the seat, facing slightly downwards.  That solves my bathtub conundrum.  I've already measured and they will all fit.

43015793622_fa0b894016_z_d.jpg

Next up...seatbelts; support structure for the inside of the canopy; nose weight; put together the cockpit, close her up and then figure out what to about the terrible fit of the nose ring.

--John

• Like 5

Ready to close it all up...didn't forget the nose weight!

29209901468_01791cde08_z_d.jpg

And the support structure for the rear of the canopy.  A test fit shows that the canopy itself fits poorly.  There are big gaps that will have to be filled.

29209900698_3a8d7f8209_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 5

• John Masters changed the title to A bit of a jet...Airfix Mig-15 OOB except where it's not...

The landing gear issue had to be addressed.  I re-built the rear gear using the kit piece as a template for the gear doors.  A kit piece is next to them for context.  The nose gear has been adapted from the kit supplied gear.  Also shown is the canopy with the support installed, and some small detail work on the interior bay of the air brakes.  In fixing, i.e.. sanding down a lot, the nose ring (and puttying, and sanding, and puttying some more) I removed the off-set gun-camera.  I have replaced that with a slice of Evergreen rod cut on a bias.  Looking alright, I think.  

Tonight the wings go on; I'll mask the canopy and attach that; maybe get it all together if I have couple of hours to do so--gun pods, etc....  Tomorrow I'll hit it with Vallejo Glossy Surface Primer and wait until Sunday to Aluminize.

42186206745_c3da05d6f6_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 3

Wings on and the gaps in the wing roots filled.  Same for the gun pods.  Canopy masked and attached.  So...

43056911352_a189075891_z_d.jpg

And on with the new primer.  This is a new way for me...black primer beneath aluminum...

43056911562_5627537876_z_d.jpg

And it airbrushed brilliantly!

43056910032_f44d5dbf51_z_d.jpg

I really will have to let that dry for many hours before attempting anything else.  Thankfully we have cool, dry air today, so I am hoping by 10PM or so I can handle the aircraft without worrying about any tackiness.  If that is not so, then tomorrow morning the aluminum goes on.  

--John

• Like 5

Lovely!

I remember building this as part of the dog-fight double with the Mirage. I'm sure it will look a whole lot better with your upgrades!

Ian

• Like 1

They aluminum went on late last night and dried very quickly.  I hand painted the anti-glare black on the nose as well as the walkways on the wing roots.  Next time I'll airbrush these as well.  

I was pleased with the White Aluminum from Vallejo.  Very shiny.  The guys at the LHS in Athens told me some people have actually been able to buff this to a higher shine.  Hmmm...we'll see.  I'll get the landing gear in and the decals on today.  Radio antennae, some little details I have seen on other build, etc... give it a light acrylic coat and then some light weathering.  Pretty close to being finished here.

41312691840_072479ec84_z_d.jpg

42219537165_839d208d2e_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 5

Thanks Steve...I am not sure 'tamed' is the right word.  I have certainly had to make it a bit more interesting.  It's coming together.

I have certainly learned a lot from building it and taken some educated chances.

Ok...pitot tube, assorted radio antennae, landing gear, air brakes, some paint touch-ups and decals...phew!

One of the nice things about summer here is that it can be very dry, so everything dries very quickly--paint, decals, etc...which can also be a drawback if one is not careful!

I should have scribed some access panels on the nose so I could paint those little red clasps...next time.

43129564631_fd6a60fc76_z_d.jpg

29257410848_3d0384ce8b_z_d.jpg

Not a perfect landing gear re-build, but much better than what Airfix offered me.

43129565631_72b899f381_z_d.jpg

Now...I'll let that dry for a couple of hours and then seal it all with some clear acrylic.  I'm happy with the kit decals.  

No silvering and they slid on without a hitch!

43129563291_bbff62b504_z_d.jpg

Then a bit of pin washing in some strategic spots, the radio wire from the tail...almost there!

--John

• Like 8

Well Comrades...it's time to break out the Luksazova and the pierogis...

It started out as a GDR Mig-15 and ended up a Lim-2...who'd a thunk it?  Actually it started out as a bag of warped plastic that held no future.  I am grateful that I was able to pick a better one up on the Big Online Auction Site.

So I present, Lim-2, Black 346.  I think there are too many markings, but it is an Airfix and they are so very enthusiastic!

42427458414_83d27cc600_z_d.jpg

The rest are in the gallery...

-John

• Like 6