A bit of a jet...Airfix Mig-15 OOB except where it's not...

Most certainly a blast from the past.

There are so many examples of 1/72 Mig-15 kits recently produced, so good luck with bringing this one up to speed. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

Ok...first blush.  I figured I'd do some priming.  Then I discovered this lovely situation.  I think it sat in the store window too long.  

42516640041_a1d295a724_z_d.jpg

42464859112_518005708c_z_d.jpg

Any thoughts on rectifying this terrible situation?  The fuselage halves are warped in several different directions...

The wings are suffering from the same disfunction...😢

Alternatively, I have a bagged Mig-15 (MisterKit? HobbyCraft?) and it seems to be from the same mould.  

42516769671_249e5c37bd_z_d.jpg

I need a ruling on this please.  

--John

• Sad 2

That looks identical, doesn't it. Scalemates shows a boxing by MRC in 1978 - is that what you have got? Are all the other parts identical? If so, it looks a safe bet that it came from the Airfix mold.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Ok...first blush.  I figured I'd do some priming.  Then I discovered this lovely situation.  I think it sat in the store window too long.  

42516640041_a1d295a724_z_d.jpg

42464859112_518005708c_z_d.jpg

Any thoughts on rectifying this terrible situation?  The fuselage halves are warped in several different directions...

The wings are suffering from the same disfunction...😢

Alternatively, I have a bagged Mig-15 (MisterKit? HobbyCraft?) and it seems to be from the same mould.  

42516769671_249e5c37bd_z_d.jpg

I need a ruling on this please.  

--John

OMG - wobble city...

• Like 1

I checked Stalemates and if you follow the kit from Airfix, then to MRC...MRC then goes to MasterCraft (my bagged kit).  Now...the Mastercraft kit was released in the 1990s.  Hmmm...the parts all look identical except for the walkways on the wing roots.  In the Airfix kit they are smooth.  MasterCrap MasterCraft has a ridged texture.

The wings on the Airfix kit, while warped, are not as bad the fuselage.  Some hot water and clamps could easily fix them.  Would the judges allow me to use the MC fuselage and the rest from the original Airfix blister pack?

What say ye?

I just checked the other 2 blister packed Airfix kits--Chipmunk and Cessna Bird Dog...Chippie has a similar problem (not as bad), the Cessna has not.  The Chipmunk is moulded from the same sliver-grey plastic as the Mig.  The Oscar...no.  Different stuff.  Hmmm...

• Confused 1

Hmmm...well, I have thought about it for a few minutes and I think I might shelve this one for the time being.  I do want to build it, but I think I'll wait for a broader GB and serve it up as a cannibalized Mig...onto something else...

• Sad 1

A method I have heard of is taping/rubber banding the piece of plastic to some wood so it is the desired shape and then immersing it in hot water to relax the plastic, taking out and leaving to cool. The water needs to be hot enough to soften the plastic but not too hot e.g. boiling. The advantage of this method is that the heating and cooling is immediate and evenly spread over the whole piece of plastic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Ratch.  Good idea.  I was thinking of something like that too...

I'll scratch build all kinds of things but that isn't worth my time.  It is better to get a new (old) kit, which I have done.  It's enroute...along with the Eduard etch set for the little bits!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Ratch said:

A method I have heard of is taping/rubber banding the piece of plastic to some wood so it is the desired shape and then immersing it in hot water to relax the plastic, taking out and leaving to cool. The water needs to be hot enough to soften the plastic but not too hot e.g. boiling. The advantage of this method is that the heating and cooling is immediate and evenly spread over the whole piece of plastic.

Top tip Ratch :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Just catching up on this one. I say, those warpy photos are quite disturbing, however really glad that the hosts have given this the blessing to proceed. I think common sence had prevailed here, which is something I'm not quite used to these days! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Sorry to burst your bubble...and I am glad too, that the powers-that-be have given their blessings...but I am waiting for another Mig kit to arrive so I don't have to struggle.  I will save the two MIg-15 Airfix/MasterCraft kits in a bag and build a combined aircraft later.  I do like the Mig-15, so I won't cry over this one.

In the meantime, I have begun another thread in this GB...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well...it finally arrived!  I am so excited.  Even the 2 or 3 days I have off-island and not building something has given me the delirium tremens...😵

A quick look confirmed that all the parts are there, nothing is warped and the decals are even in great shape.  I will be using the red stars on a Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter in another GB...😉

here 'tis...

28127358237_8621b5ff63_z_d.jpg

• Like 5

Before I clean up and prime the pieces of the Airfix kit, I decided took at the photo etch and compete it to the kit pieces.  

Hmmm...yes...well...it seems the photo etch is actually for the new Mig-15 (which I might have ti build someday)  not the old, classic mould which is sparse to say the least regarding the interior.

I will not be deterred, however and have decided to go into the home plumbing business.  

I will build a bathtub.  I think I will also scratch build the landing gear.  

Does anyone mind if I use the Eduard kit pieces as template for this?

42100480395_20f979dc7a_z_d.jpg

This will be fun.  It has been worth the wait.

--John

Edited by John D.C. Masters
  • Like 3