Sea Hawk 1/72 in a plastic bag!

Hi guys,

it is plain freezing here, and working on the Sea Hawk helped me forget about winter!

Anyway, the strip of plastic has been sanded to shape and the angle between wing underside and fuselage is a lot more convincing. At least forward of the wheel well. Not too sure yet how it is suppose to shape up at the rear end... More surprise?

The wheel well still needs to have its innards rebuilt. Looking forward to that!

Sea Hawk o'

I have started as well to reshape the inside of the air intake. The fuselage carries on flush into the intake: when this is sorted out, the fun will start with creating the back wall and all the fences inside the intakes... 

I should have chosen something with a prop and an in-line engine... Simple, no sweat.

Sea Hawk p'

Apologies for the snail's pace of this build. 

Such fun!!!

JR

• Like 10

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/07/2018 at 21:31, jean said:

Hi guys,

it is plain freezing here, and working on the Sea Hawk helped me forget about winter!

Anyway, the strip of plastic has been sanded to shape and the angle between wing underside and fuselage is a lot more convincing. At least forward of the wheel well. Not too sure yet how it is suppose to shape up at the rear end... More surprise?

The wheel well still needs to have its innards rebuilt. Looking forward to that!

I have started as well to reshape the inside of the air intake. The fuselage carries on flush into the intake: when this is sorted out, the fun will start with creating the back wall and all the fences inside the intakes... 

I should have chosen something with a prop and an in-line engine... Simple, no sweat.

Apologies for the snail's pace of this build. 

Such fun!!!

JR

Looking forward to seeing how the air intakes turn out - I am definitely going to build this one again before the year is out so paying attention... Cheers. Mike

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Looking forward to seeing how the air intakes turn out - I am definitely going to build this one again before the year is out so paying attention... Cheers. Mike

Hi there,

against all evidence, I have not stopped on the Sea Hawk, and the wheel wells and air intake are progressing.

It is more a case of never being at home these days: Harare, South Africa, Harare, various National Parks, etc. Frustration is the key word!

I am really enjoying this build and will post some pictures when I next have a minute to myself!!!

Have a go yourself: challenging but satisfying.

JR

PS: I hope the plastic on your kit is less atrocious than on mine. Have fun!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Murphy's Law did strike again and as a result I ended up being away from home for far too long.

The Seahawk was one of the casualties.

So the air intakes are far from finished, and only the spliter plate near the fuselage has been sorted out. The wheel wells have been started and are proving a tad trickier than I expected.

Here are a couple of photos, showing the work in progress. Everything will hopefully end up nice and tidy!!!

Seahawk q

Seahawk r

I am under no illusion: I will never finish this build in time for this group build, but I will carry on with it in the Work in progress section.

Hopefully I will have finished one air intake completely before October 7th.

Cheers.

JR

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

This Sea Hawk shall be finished... one day.

In the meantime I am still proceeding at a snail's pace, thanks to the Universe doing its utmost best to stop me modelling... and almost succeeding! Emphasis on almost.

I am carrying on with the left air intake as a proof of concept, while mulling the head ache the main wheel wells have become.

Here are a couple of photos to show the extent of the carnage:

Sea Hawk u

I have glued the back of the air intake. I am afraid I broke the forward end while trying to bend it to shape a bit too enthusiastically... But it will not be noticeable once the upper wing is in place.

Sea Hawk t
  • Like 4

Weird things are happening wit my post, as a goodly portion has disappeared during the save. So here we go again.

As a result of the air intake and wheel well surgery, the side of the upper wing abutting the fuselage keeps being amputated a little bit at a time. Not much is left, and I am not finished yet!

Sea Hawk s

Hopefully I will manage to erase all traces of surgery once this is over.

Cheers.

JR

• Like 4

I am sad to read that your Seahawk won't make the deadline Jean, but your build to date has given me some tips for improving mine should I ever get around to building it. Keep up the good work and I hope that you continue to have fun with this one.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

I am sad to read that your Seahawk won't make the deadline Jean, but your build to date has given me some tips for improving mine should I ever get around to building it. Keep up the good work and I hope that you continue to have fun with this one.  

Hi John,

well, I live in the middle of nowhere, and it would be normal to think that I can model all day long. Unfortunately the truth cannot be more different.

I think I have come to term with this curse.

Nonetheless, as soon as the GB is over, the Sea Hawk thread will be moving to the Work In Progress section and carry on over there. As I said earlier, this Sea Hawk has a personal meaning and shall be finished, hopefully before the next glaciation.

It is partly my fault, mind you, as I am tinkering as well with the Airfix A-4B, the HobbyBoss D 520 and the Revell Hurricane Mk IIc... I should maybe seek treatment.

Anyway, if you really want to build your Sea Hawk, I cannot stop you, but there must be less painful ways to atone past sins...

Keep having fun. I know I will.

Cheers

JR

• Like 4

• 1 month later...