Its a (different) Bomber!! -++++ FINISHED ++++

9 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Great choice Greg I was hoping a B29 would turn up,looking forward to this.

Cheers Steve,

I am going for a good OOTB build. Progress pics later today hopefully.

All the best Greg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Cheers Steve,

I am going for a good OOTB build. Progress pics later today hopefully.

All the best Greg

Great stuff Greg,I got the B29 as a present way back when it was reasonably new and I just know it never got finished,these thing's are now fetching

£30-£50 with the pre-owned seller's you can bet a £30+ price tag if Airfix ever re-released it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Lawzer said:

i remeber building the b29 and using some kind of silver rattle can for it.  Sure it needed 2 😁

In your dreams Ian - 2 cans - I'll bet it was more like 4.  I'm glad I have moved over to my airbrush - but I'm still using up various rattle can colours - waste not want not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

In your dreams Ian - 2 cans - I'll bet it was more like 4.  I'm glad I have moved over to my airbrush - but I'm still using up various rattle can colours - waste not want not.

i seem to remember it was quite a novelty using a can.  Inside.  With probably not even a door open. 🙄

I've been trying to think what the final resting place of the kits I did way back then.  I know a few would have fallen fowl of an air pistol but I cannot (ok it IS a long time ago) remember ever throwing out a finished model.  Who knows, they may still be in a cardboard box in the loft of the house I grew up in......now THAT would be an interesting "attic find"....🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lawzer said:

i seem to remember it was quite a novelty using a can.  Inside.  With probably not even a door open. 🙄

I've been trying to think what the final resting place of the kits I did way back then.  I know a few would have fallen fowl of an air pistol but I cannot (ok it IS a long time ago) remember ever throwing out a finished model.  Who knows, they may still be in a cardboard box in the loft of the house I grew up in......now THAT would be an interesting "attic find"....🤣

I used to love that programme on telly - 'Cash in the attic'.  Mrs X wasn't so keen and used to call it 'Tat in the attic' - she is so witty at times - too sharp for her own good...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BIG X said:

I used to love that programme on telly - 'Cash in the attic'.  Mrs X wasn't so keen and used to call it 'Tat in the attic' - she is so witty at times - too sharp for her own good...

Sssshhhhhhhhh!! She might hear you!!!! 🤣

• Haha 2

Right,

Progress has been made. Needless to say that as this is a 1960's mould the @detail@ is somewhat sparse but this will not matter much when the fuselage is joined.

I have built most of the internals and so far have only secured the gun positions with liquid poly. The other parts will be painted before  i secure them to the fuselage halves. Memories of the first time i built this recall the joining of the halves challenging and i will be doing a lot of dry fitting etc before committing to the adhesive. A s you will see from the photos there is quite a lot in there and i have only managed one of the bomb racks of which there are 8 with two bombs apiece. Airfix suggest making the bomb doors open and close, which would allow me to display the payload if needs be. 

My plan is to have as many of the moving features move - gun turrets, props, bomb doors, and the undercarriage just for fun! Heres the pis, thanks for looking.

Cheers Greg. 

43565852122_0c3f80264a_z.jpg

29743244948_0d4f43d938_z.jpg

43613244921_6fa5ec3999_z.jpg

29743237308_ffce19c89d_z.jpg

• Like 11

4 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

My plan is to have as many of the moving features move - gun turrets, props, bomb doors, and the undercarriage just for fun! Heres the pis, thanks for looking.

Fantastic idea Greg. If you are doing a 60's kit, treat it as you did as a kid. I was always disappointed if I got glue in the wrong place and things didn't turn/drop/twist etc.  Will be pulling up a chair for this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This looks like a lovely kit - and all those bombs! Maybe a bit of sanding of rotating surfaces and a touch of ptfe lubricant will keep those turrets moving when you close it all up. Great build.

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

This looks like a lovely kit - and all those bombs! Maybe a bit of sanding of rotating surfaces and a touch of ptfe lubricant will keep those turrets moving when you close it all up. Great build.

Thanks Mike,

The turret bodies are moving freely at present. The painting stage will require careful masking keep them that way. 

So far so good..

Cheers Greg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, depressed lemur said:

Fantastic idea Greg. If you are doing a 60's kit, treat it as you did as a kid. I was always disappointed if I got glue in the wrong place and things didn't turn/drop/twist etc.  Will be pulling up a chair for this.

Thanks,, 

I am hoping to make it all as I would have as a kid but without the gaping seam along the top and bottom of the fuselage, and glue all over the canopy 😨 

Cheers Greg 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again,

I have not been slacking with this despite the lack of posts. Theres been a bit going on in small stages, and i am nearing the big joining of the fuselage, while trying to balance all the moving bits and aligning the internal parts. I still have the rear gunner to add as well as the bombs to the port side. Wing construction has commenced nad as you may see from the pics fit has been a bit iffy. You ger the choice of a step to the leading edge or a gap at the trailing edge! Nevermind, i will plow on regardless. 

42166711250_f50b5cf462_z.jpg

1/72 Hurri to see how big the wing is. Total span will be greater than my 1/24 Spitfire!!

42166714250_3b5ffc9689_z.jpg

42166717410_9164a31b7a_z.jpg

Well thats it for now. I'm off to complete the bomb load and hopefully glue thr sides together. If this pans out i will post more pics tomorrow.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers Greg

• Like 10

10 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Great progress!

I guess you'll need to wedge in a load of weight up front to avoid a tail sitter ;)

Thanks Lawzer 😀

There's not much room up front but Airfix provide  a crew ladder at the tail access which apparently will allow the B-29 to sit on all six tyres. Whether or not it will support the weight of this monster is another matter. 

Cheers Greg

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Thanks Lawzer 😀

There's not much room up front but Airfix provide  a crew ladder at the tail access which apparently will allow the B-29 to sit on all six tyres. Whether or not it will support the weight of this monster is another matter. 

Cheers Greg

If your going to use the ladder Greg, just make sure the glue is dry before you let it all rest on it. I built one when I was a lad ( so last week) my glue hadn't dryed, the ladder went through the door and ended up in the crew tunnel. Never to be seen again.

• Like 2

Just now, stevej60 said:

Great progress Greg,interior look's superb.

Thanks Steve,

It will all disappear once the fuselage is joined up. It's taking longer than I thought to get to this stage. I also have the wings and tail surfaces joined now and am preparing the engine nacelles. More soon I hope.

Cheers Greg 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

If your going to use the ladder Greg, just make sure the glue is dry before you let it all rest on it. I built one when I was a lad ( so last week) my glue hadn't dryed, the ladder went through the door and ended up in the crew tunnel. Never to be seen again.

Thanks for the heads up Ozzy. I had planned on having the wheels go up and down but testing the fit of the main gear struts shows that the gear will not lock fully down unless I cut a bigger space to the rear of the wheel well so I need to decide to have wheels up or fixed down. Decisions, decisions......😨 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Thanks for the heads up Ozzy. I had planned on having the wheels go up and down but testing the fit of the main gear struts shows that the gear will not lock fully down unless I cut a bigger space to the rear of the wheel well so I need to decide to have wheels up or fixed down. Decisions, decisions......😨 

No worries Greg, I'm sure your a more patient modeller than I am.

That was the bonus of the old B17, it allowed the free movement and you could lock them off.  As a boy I built all kits wheels down to maximise building, if I remember there's a bit of clearance with wheels down and Bombay doors open.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

No worries Greg, I'm sure your a more patient modeller than I am.

That was the bonus of the old B17, it allowed the free movement and you could lock them off.  As a boy I built all kits wheels down to maximise building, if I remember there's a bit of clearance with wheels down and Bombay doors open.

Yeah patience is a virtue I'm told ! I am not sure that always applies to me though 😆

I will see what I can do with the wheels....

Meanwhile I got the fuselage joined tonight. I fear there will be filler a plenty once the pegs and tape comes off tomorrow. 

Cheers Greg 😉

• Like 2

Hi Greg. Hope you are well. Good to see there's been more progress. Great idea to include the Hurricane in the photo - really shows how big the B29 was!!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Looking forward to the next reveal on this one.

As an aside, just finished reading Nemesis by Max Hastings. Was surprised to find out how hated and feared the B-29 was by its own crews due to the loss rate caused by mechanical failure. Definitely one of those "We've built it so we're using it" planes combined with a bit of unhealthy inter service rivalry, the AAF command not wanting the Navy to beat Japan on their own.

Andy

Edited by Foxbat
Removed grocer's apostrophe
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Greg. Hope you are well. Good to see there's been more progress. Great idea to include the Hurricane in the photo - really shows how big the B29 was!!

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix,

I am fine thanks. Just getting back in the swing of things after the summer holidays. The B-29 is a big model in 1/72 and when all in one piece will be longer and have a bigger wing span than a 1/24 scale fighter. 

Despite its great size I don't think it could carry a bigger payload than a Lancaster.

Cheers Greg

• Like 3