Its a (different) Bomber!! -++++ FINISHED ++++

Well its been two weeks since my last update but i am finally getting there with this dinosaur of a kit!

Really this is turning in to a marathon effort and i am thinking i should have chosen one or two smaller more fun kits to build.

Deciding to make all the moving parts "move" has been a bit optomistic, although they are mostly moving....just not the way i want them to! The tail surfaces are a bit loose and tend to flap about. The bomb doors stick open or (nearly) shut, and the undercarridge folds up when the enormous weight of the airframe rests on it. Ah well, it will all come out in the wash so to speak, i hope!

Pics...

30681463798_3c3b0d471e_z.jpgIMG_2856 

42742804040_8c4f9da043_z.jpgIMG_2857 

30681463168_bf9351f6ff_z.jpgIMG_2858 

The last two are outside photos taken a few minutes ago. Its too big for the work bench, and i am now working on the engines and turrets before deciding whether to add some toned areas to the very shiny silver airframe.

Given the extended deadline i will no doubt get the beast in to the gallery in the not so distant future.

Thanks for looking, cheers

Greg

• Like 13

That's mighty impressive Greg and I think you've really taken one for the team doing this big monster build.

It's looking exceptionally good and we all look forward to the Gallery Glamour shots.

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Fantastic job!

I think it's magical to see old aifrix kits (this and ALL the other builds) brought back to life!

14 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Excellent progress with the beast Greg! It is a large model! Hope you manage to get the moving parts sorted okay.......:fight:

Kind re

14 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Fantastic job!

I think it's magical to see old aifrix kits (this and ALL the other builds) brought back to life!

gards,

Stix

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That's mighty impressive Greg and I think you've really taken one for the team doing this big monster build.

It's looking exceptionally good and we all look forward to the Gallery Glamour shots.

Cheers.. Dave

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

Look's superb under paint Greg,can'twait for those decal's to go on!

Thank you all for the kind and positive comments.

Without your support this kit would have ended up on the shelf of doom. Also without the GB to take part in I dunno when in would have got round to building it. 

I am hopeful of getting it finished by next weekend. 

Cheers Greg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

I don't think that I could afford the paint for such a beast. :lol: Well done buddy.

That's a really good point actually...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MarkSH said:

Great stuff, this big ole' bird looks fantastic.

Thanks Mark,

It's one of these models that's best viewed from three feet away though as the silver paint has shown up a few flaws that I am passing off as repaired battle damage 😉

Cheers Greg 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

That's a fantastic looking metal finish Greg, and a great, but rather large looking model too. I don't think that I could afford the paint for such a beast. :lol: Well done buddy.

Cheers Nimrod54,

I primed the model with brush painted Revell aluminium then rattle canned on Humbrol acrylic silver, which took about two full coats and emptied the can.

Still to highlight a few panels before costing it in a bucket of floor polish, then it's transfer time.

All the best Greg

• Like 4

So.....

Not as far on as i hoped i'd be by now, but you know, the best laid plans and all that !

I have been dabbling with tone on the airframe, and have masked off and painted sections of it to try and replicate the different shades often seen on NMF aircraft. Its a bit difficult to see in the pics but they are there, honest!!! What i did with the engines was use different shades of silver, which looks a bit too strong a contast to the human eye. So on the wings etc i tried tinting matt varnish, which produced a more subtle but still noticable variation to the overall colour. Here's the pics...

.https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1936/43928596725_9740a6182b_z.jpg[/

43928596965_0e143e6840_z.jpg

44789541262_db10e356b2_z.jpg

44789541002_1825fa25a7_z.jpg

A couple of shots of the wheels and bomb bay doors open/closed (thats as closed as they get!) and thats it for now.

This is a dangerous point in the build for me as i am at the faffing stage. Y'know indecision/pottering a bit and so close to the end i am in danger of rushing it through.

More soon, i hope,

Cheers

Greg

• Like 10

Looks fabulous, big and silver! Write yourself a list of work items to do and cross them off as you do them. It’s daunting at first but it helps you see that you are making progress. Try not to add too many list items as you go!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Greg. Don't give up now! You've come a long way and it's looking really good! :clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

Never fear Stix I will not quit at this late stage. 

However I am now being distracted about what I may build next 😀 which I am sure happens to a lot of us. 

The end is in sight with my "silver machine" 🎸 

Cheers Greg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looks fabulous, big and silver! Write yourself a list of work items to do and cross them off as you do them. It’s daunting at first but it helps you see that you are making progress. Try not to add too many list items as you go!

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian,

That's a good idea about a to do list. Saves me missing bits 😮 and will help focus on the job at hand.

Cheers Greg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TonyW said:

That's an impressive looking beast!

Things will really start coming together once the decals go on, always my favourite part of any build.

Hi Tony, thanks for the kind comments.

It certainly is a huge model. I don't know where you would store a larger scale version. In 1/72 it takes up a lot of room. 

Decals are next...fingers crossed 😰

Cheers Greg 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

And, its FINISHED!!!

At long last. I never intended this build to be a marathon but it just turned out that way. I am not too disappointed with the end result but its not my best work.

These old kits need a lot more TLC than i gave to this old boot!!

Anyway theres pics in the gallery but heres one that shows how big the beast is sitting alongside a 1/72 P-51d.

44222627275_3a832e1cbd_z.jpgIMG_2870

Well thanks for watching folks, its been a blast (from the past)

Cheers Greg

• Like 14

Well done Greg, this big beastie was never going to be easy, however you’ve certainly come out on top with this great build. 

Cheers, well modelled and thanks for taking part.. Dave 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Well done Greg, this big beastie was never going to be easy, however you’ve certainly come out on top with this great build. 

Cheers, well modelled and thanks for taking part.. Dave 

Cheers Dave,

Thanks for all the comments and encouragement along the way.

• All the best Greg 👍
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

It does look very impressive. And now you have to work out where to store it ;)

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian 😁

I think I will hang it from the ceiling of the man cave as its too big for my shelves.

Cheers Greg 

• Like 1