Its a (different) Bomber!! -++++ FINISHED ++++

7 hours ago, Foxbat said:

Looking forward to the next reveal on this one.

As an aside, just finished reading Nemesis by Max Hastings. Was surprised to find out how hated and feared the B-29 was by it's own crews due to the loss rate caused by mechanical failure. Definitely one of those "We've built it so we're using it" planes combined with a bit of unhealthy inter service rivalry, the AAF command not wanting the Navy to beat Japan on their own.

Andy

Hi Andy, 

I read that book too. The Superfortress only ever saw action in the Pacific in WW2 and despite its initial entry in to service being problematic it was effectively the plane that epitomized the defeat of Japan. 

Cheers Greg

• Like 1

Greetings!

More progress made on what is becoming the biggest model in my collection. Even in 1/72 this thing is huge!!

Fuselage got joined last week and i have spent the interim modelling sessions sanding, filling and sanding. Only the application of primer will tell if i have done enough. Regarding the moving parts...

Bomb doors do open but dont close too well and are sticky! These have been a nightmare while handling the model and sanding down. Luckily i haven't broken them ..yet! The top turret behind the cockpit has stuck! I assume capillary action from the liquid poly has bound it in place. The turret apertures were more than snug to start with so the rest (that do move) are a bit stiff. The rear guns elevate and depress but like the bomb doors are a working hazard while handling the model. I have placed a clamp over the tail to try and protect them a bit. Nose wheel goes up and down aokay.   

I have taped the wings in place to allow a preview of the size of the beast and as you will see it fills the work bench. Anyway heres the pics....

44058321402_5e9b879bd5_z.jpg

42297912060_6d18b7afa2_z.jpg

42297912460_1baeef7842_z.jpg

44107456341_60459fddcd_z.jpg

42297912310_b93d9222ae_z.jpg

44107455581_86d1beb6c3_z.jpg

42297912100_cc720c3e91_z.jpg

44107455121_f1ab14b73b_z.jpg

And that is it for now. I'm off to sort out the engines and nacelles with the main landing gear, which dry fit wasn't looking to clever...

Thanks for looking.

Cheers Greg 

• Like 9

So good to see you building this kit with as many working features as possible. I’m sure its harder than we all think and as you’ve clearly discribed seems like a nightmare to negotiate as you’re putting this all together. 

Keep going though Greg, your doing a grand job. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

So good to see you building this kit with as many working features as possible. I’m sure its harder than we all think and as you’ve clearly discribed seems like a nightmare to negotiate as you’re putting this all together. 

Keep going though Greg, your doing a grand job. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the kind comments😀

Building this kit now makes me wonder how I managed as a nipper with less tools and experience to get it all together. 

However I am making steady progress, and should have her all ship shape in time for the finish.

All the best Greg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

More progress made on what is becoming the biggest model in my collection. Even in 1/72 this thing is huge!!

Excellent stuff Greg, you're right it is a big rascal. I remember staring longingly at this kit each time I visited the cycle shop where I used to by my kits, I never did get one. :goodjob:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nimrod54 said:

Excellent stuff Greg, you're right it is a big rascal. I remember staring longingly at this kit each time I visited the cycle shop where I used to by my kits, I never did get one. :goodjob:

Thank you 😁

Size wise it is an impressive model. Not so much so in the buildability side. You really do need to juggle things to get the fuselage joined with all the bits inside. The moving parts do not make some aspects of it very realistic. However is is a real blast from the past and back them how many of us really knew any better. 

Maybe Airfix will reissue it as part of their classics range. Approach with caution if they do 😉

Cheers Greg 

• Like 1

I'm enjoying seeing this one come together a lot.

Memories keep reappearing. The kit seemed even bigger at the time, much like a Monogram 1.48 kit would to me now. I know the Airfix one was far too big for my shelves back then. I can't remember how I displayed it after all these years. I do remember the silver paint I used left appalling brush marks all over it and the paint stank to high hell as well!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TonyW said:

I'm enjoying seeing this one come together a lot.

Memories keep reappearing. The kit seemed even bigger at the time, much like a Monogram 1.48 kit would to me now. I know the Airfix one was far too big for my shelves back then. I can't remember how I displayed it after all these years. I do remember the silver paint I used left appalling brush marks all over it and the paint stank to high hell as well!

Thanks Tony,

My boyhood B_29 was suspended by thread from my ceiling. It would have been under attack from every other axis aircraft my collection could muster 😁

This one may end up hanging on the ceiling of the cave as I have tried it on the widest shelf and its too big. 

I am going to rattle can this one rather than my usual brush painting.

Cheers Greg 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MarkSH said:

It is a biggun innit! I have never built one, wouldn't know what to do with it if I did. coming together nicely.

Thanks Mark!

If the GB hadn't come along I don't know when I would have built it. Storage and display is going to be a problem 😨

Cheers Greg 

• Like 3

On 7/24/2018 at 3:53 PM, Lawzer said:

i seem to remember it was quite a novelty using a can.  Inside.  With probably not even a door open. 🙄

I've been trying to think what the final resting place of the kits I did way back then.  I know a few would have fallen fowl of an air pistol but I cannot (ok it IS a long time ago) remember ever throwing out a finished model.  Who knows, they may still be in a cardboard box in the loft of the house I grew up in......now THAT would be an interesting "attic find"....🤣

That's exactly where all mine are. Still in my Dad's loft! Including the B29 and Stirling.......

Ian

• Like 2

yeah it's a fair monster!

I remember seeing the monogram 1/48 kit in a model shop MANY a year ago.

Dread to think how big a house you'd need to display that thing!!! 🤣

Very nice work! 👍

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

More progress on the B-29. It has been a bit of a slog this week with lots of filling and sanding on the wings/engines. In fact i hve had to order new sanding sticks!!

I am nearing primer time, which is a bit scary as this will no doubt show up the flaws in my sandathon....

Glazings are all in place and fitted relatively well given the vintage of the kit. They are as thick as milk bottle bottoms and i am glad i didn t spend time putting in lots of internal details.

Anyways here are the pics, thanks for looking

Cheers Greg

42446965510_2a39d78b1e_z.jpg

44205912462_6bacf09ab2_z.jpg

42446965420_9f3e031818_z.jpg

44205912422_6bacf09ab2_z.jpg

42446965310_8c18b9069c_z.jpg

• Like 13

Nice work on the Bombay doors and the main under carriage Greg, I'm sure the primer will show that you've got any joins covered.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

Nice work on the Bombay doors and the main under carriage Greg, I'm sure the primer will show that you've got any joins covered.

Cheers Ozzy!

I hope you are right about the joins 😨

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GREG DESTEC said:

It has been a bit of a slog this week with lots of filling and sanding on the wings/engines. In fact i hve had to order new sanding sticks!!

It has been worth the effort Greg, those seams are looking very neat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have got to agree with Ozzy and John - you seem to be doing a fantastic job with this huge aircraft! Hope the painting goes well.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

It has been worth the effort Greg, those seams are looking very neat.

Thanks John, 

I have tried harder than usual to get a good result on the seams. I dread to think what the one I built as a kid looked like as I didn't have filler in those days 😮

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

I have got to agree with Ozzy and John - you seem to be doing a fantastic job with this huge aircraft! Hope the painting goes well.

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix :thumbsup:

I got the wings and stabilizers on this afternoon so priming is next .......😯

• Like 2

I'll join the others regarding seam clean up - two big ticks for you Greg. Actually starting out on some of Airfix's less detailed and horrid fitting kits (read poor Jockney's Gosling) is probably a good test of ones sanding / blending ability and modelling patience. We all know it's as boring as bat poo but it's such as essential chore that this hobby demands. I've build Tamiya kits that still need seam clean up afterwards so it'll probably be with us until every kit is made via 3D technology! Love the two shots of the Main Landing gear, looks like photos from some type of technical manual. 

Cheers and great modelling.. Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I'll join the others regarding seam clean up - two big ticks for you Greg. Actually starting out on some of Airfix's less detailed and horrid fitting kits (read poor Jockney's Gosling) is probably a good test of ones sanding / blending ability and modelling patience. We all know it's as boring as bat poo but it's such as essential chore that this hobby demands. I've build Tamiya kits that still need seam clean up afterwards so it'll probably be with us until every kit is made via 3D technology! Love the two shots of the Main Landing gear, looks like photos from some type of technical manual. 

Cheers and great modelling.. Dave

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the kind comments. I am going to be disappointed if after applying primer I can see a seam. As you rightfully observe the chore that is seam/joint hiding is an art form of its own in this hobby. I struggle with it on a lot of my builds so it makes my day when it actually turns out well. Let's hope this one turns out as well as I hope it will. Silver or NMF paint jobs show no mercy on flaws. 

All the best Greg 😉

• Like 2

It’s looking great Greg. The seam clean up is a pain but I’m sure it is going to look spectacular in NMF. I have seen pictures of one of the prototypes in Olive Drab over Neutral Grey and it looked strange...

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

It’s looking great Greg. The seam clean up is a pain but I’m sure it is going to look spectacular in NMF. I have seen pictures of one of the prototypes in Olive Drab over Neutral Grey and it looked strange...

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian 👍

If my NMF looks half as good as your  B_25 then I will be happy. 

Cheers Greg 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lawzer said:

very nice work so far!

Seeing the glazing on takes me back ;)

Thanks Lawser :thumbsup:

I always like getting the cockpit glass on. It means I am getting closer to the finishing line. Got the wings and rear stabilizers. So I am preparing to get the primer on.

Cheers Greg

• Like 2