Its a (different) Bomber!! -++++ FINISHED ++++

On 6/3/2018 at 10:47 AM, GREG DESTEC said:

So its bomb/chocks away!

Time to have a closer look at what i'm dealing with here. Childhood memories of this kit were of shiny black plastic parts in abundance. My issue is a pale blue/grey colour. The parts don't appear warped on close examination, which is good and a dry fit of the main components looks promising. Here are some pic's for your amusement....

41629685115_2a19950d13_z.jpgIMG_2750 

LOTS of parts to play with.

40723613170_4d57faa599_z.jpgIMG_2751 

The first of many sink holes i don't remember from the first time around, or more likely, i just thought that how they were mean't to look!

27661316927_f2536c0295_z.jpgIMG_2752 

Meet the crew, the pilot and flight engineer appear to be doing the Lambeth Walk! While the gunners are eating donuts....

28658413988_f5483a5f2e_z.jpgIMG_2753 

More filling/sanding required....

41629674105_77569a7bc3_z.jpgIMG_2754

Like i said sink marks everywhere..

28658410078_2b1cb18ec8_z.jpgIMG_2755 

Full bomb load.

42480124932_2901a3fe02_z.jpgIMG_2756 

And heres where the party starts...In the office(s) for a change, not! Its a bit bare in there so i will do a bit of googling to see what i can add...

41629666475_f45a7f7600_z.jpgIMG_2757 

Check out the very detailed IP cut out and glue no less....

Well thats it for now i'm off to search for some Stirling interior shots.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers

Greg

what do you need??

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, peterairfix said:

Looks like your in for a lot of work and fun and maybe a bit of cursing.

I will  watch to see how you get on.

Thanks Peter,

I have no doubts there will be a bit of both during the process 😰

All the best Greg 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Looks like you'll be having lots of....'fun'? Looking forward to seeing it in progress. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix, 

Time will tell if it's going to be a fun build. I will do my best to enjoy it once I get going.

Cheers Greg😀

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 12jaguar said:

what do you need??

My head examined probably lol

A few reference pics initially. I have seen some stuff on the web and have gotten a few pointers. I will see what else my limited skill set can provide.

Cheers Greg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 12jaguar said:

Hi Greg

try looking at our website http://stirlingproject.co.uk/

or there's: http://sas.raf38group.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=6

John

Hi John,

Many thanks for the links. Lots of interesting info and images there to help me build my Stirling. 

Cheers Greg

• Like 2

Just came across your build Greg.

A great choice. I remember building one of these in the early nineties about age 12 and painting it in a very thick layer of gloss black! Then having it from the bedroom ceiling to collect dust.

Watching with interest

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, franky boy said:

Just came across your build Greg.

A great choice. I remember building one of these in the early nineties about age 12 and painting it in a very thick layer of gloss black! Then having it from the bedroom ceiling to collect dust.

Watching with interest

James

Hi James,

I guess most of us have done that. The ceiling in my room as a kid looked like the world's biggest dog fight. My Dad complained about filling in all the pin holes in the paperboard when we moved house 😂

Happy days. 

Cheers Greg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Nice one Greg,

I found this site after watching the video link Steve posted above, though it might be useful

http://www.macrobertsreply.net/

Good luck with the build

cheers Pat

Thanks for that Pat,

I have been a bit slack with the Stirling I have to confess 😕

I am easily distracted and have completed a couple of more straightforward models I the interim. 

As I'm off on holiday tomorrow there won't be any progress for at least a week. Once I am back at the bench I will review the whole thing and see how much time there is left to see if I can make a go of it. 

Cheers Greg

• Like 2

Hello folks,

Back again! and i have rethought matters over this build...

Seeing as Steve60 is making such a marvelous job of his Stirling i am now minded to park mine for the timebeing. My thinking is I would like to enter a different kit in to the GB that hasn't been covered (yet) and may be of more interest as i would just be retreading what Steve has done already. I wil return to the Stirling as it is a great subjcet but for now it has rejoined the stash.

Instaed i am going to proceed with this....

41782115660_cd557309ab_z.jpg

A bargain fom Woolworths before they closed down. When i saw this i just could not pass it up! I recon i will go with the B-29, and time allowing will follow it up with the B-24.

These are two golden oldies, the Superfortress  was first issued in 1966, and the Liberator is from 1963, so its moulds are as old as i am!

43543162872_7a9b100ef9_z.jpg

A big box full of bits..

29719796858_5f4fccfc26_z.jpg

She is a big beastie!! I am going to do a no frills build on this and go for a nice solid finish (i hope!)

Thanks for looking.

Cheers Greg

• Like 11

59 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Hello folks,

Back again! and i have rethought matters over this build...

Seeing as Steve60 is making such a marvelous job of his Stirling i am now minded to park mine for the timebeing. My thinking is I would like to enter a different kit in to the GB that hasn't been covered (yet) and may be of more interest as i would just be retreading what Steve has done already. I wil return to the Stirling as it is a great subjcet but for now it has rejoined the stash.

Instaed i am going to proceed with this....

41782115660_cd557309ab_z.jpg

A bargain fom Woolworths before they closed down. When i saw this i just could not pass it up! I recon i will go with the B-29, and time allowing will follow it up with the B-24.

These are two golden oldies, the Superfortress  was first issued in 1966, and the Liberator is from 1963, so its moulds are as old as i am!

43543162872_7a9b100ef9_z.jpg

A big box full of bits..

29719796858_5f4fccfc26_z.jpg

She is a big beastie!! I am going to do a no frills build on this and go for a nice solid finish (i hope!)

Thanks for looking.

Cheers Greg

Those are very solid 1960's looking sprues - I bet they will need some cleaning up when you snip them off.  I see where you are coming from on the Stirling - but there is a school of thought that you can't have too many Stirlings...

I've never been anywhere near a Super Fortress - so this should be interesting.  Are you going for 'silver' with a few selected panels in slightly different colours perhaps...

I'll be following this one - Good luck with it Greg.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Those are very solid 1960's looking sprues - I bet they will need some cleaning up when you snip them off.  I see where you are coming from on the Stirling - but there is a school of thought that you can't have too many Stirlings...

I've never been anywhere near a Super Fortress - so this should be interesting.  Are you going for 'silver' with a few selected panels in slightly different colours perhaps...

I'll be following this one - Good luck with it Greg.

Hi Steve,

It will be a silver bird, and I will try and go for tonal variations for the finish. I have been looking at AM decals for this and have still to decide on what markings I will use. But it will definitely feature lots of silver!

Cheers Greg 😁

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Hi Steve,

It will be a silver bird, and I will try and go for tonal variations for the finish. I have been looking at AM decals for this and have still to decide on what markings I will use. But it will definitely feature lots of silver!

Cheers Greg 😁

'shiny' is good - 'shiny-shiny' is even better :D

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Looking forward to seeing this in progress.

....and I still miss Woolworths........

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix,

Woolies was where I got my first Airfix kits, and latterly some good bargains 😕

I miss it as well.

Cheers Greg 

• Like 3

Never seen this boxing before.  I wish i'd gone to woolies before they shut.....an institution of my yooth....

i remeber building the b29 and using some kind of silver rattle can for it.  Sure it needed 2 😁

Looking forward to this! 👍

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Never seen this boxing before.  I wish i'd gone to woolies before they shut.....an institution of my yooth....

i remeber building the b29 and using some kind of silver rattle can for it.  Sure it needed 2 😁

Looking forward to this! 👍

Hi Lawser,

The bombers boxing may have been a series of releases when Airfix was under the Humbrol banner. There was also the Stirling paired with the Mitchell but I had both of those separately. 

Last time I built the Superfort it was brush painted. Probably using one of my Dad's decorating paintbrushes. 

I have started now, and will post some progress pics tomorrow.

Cheers Greg 😁

• Like 2