Its a (different) Bomber!! -++++ FINISHED ++++

Well folks this one has sneaked up on me a bit!

I got a sharp reminder while perusing the GB's for what was happening to see lots of you were piling in with some great choices.

So with out further a do here's mine....

27608294107_141b0a1c4e_z.jpgIMG_2743 by G DSC, on Flickr

Box art from a 1992 issue made in France no less....

41576434995_51951f0d70_z.jpgIMG_2744 by G DSC, on Flickr

A big box full of bits, which i hope to make in to a Stirling shape!

42478946211_5f06296828_z.jpgIMG_2745 by G DSC, on Flickr

And, yes it does have the tractor and bomb trolley too.

Looking forward to this immensly as i haven't made a 1/72 4 engine type in years.

Cheers Greg

Edited by GREG DESTEC
change of plans!
  • Like 15

2 minutes ago, BIG X said:

There are bombers and there are BOMBERS - this is definitely the latter.  Chocks away Greg

Cheers BX,

It was a choice between this and my B_29 B_24 combo 😯

Who knows if this one goes well and there's time I may get them out next! 

Roll on Sunday 😀

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

@GREG DESTEC I always wanted this kit as a kid.....

great to see it here!! 👍

Hi Lawser,

I was lucky enough to get one back in the day, and when I returned to modelling in the early 90's I got this one, and its been in the stash ever since. Now's the time to get it done. I may even put it on a base as I have the refuelling set somewhere as well.....

10 minutes ago, MarkSH said:

Absolutely agree, was hoping we'd get another Stirling to watch being built. Good luck with it!

Cheers Mark, I hope my build is worth watching.

All the best Greg

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Roll on Sunday 😀

SUNDAY - begga that I'm starting 00.01hrs Friday night / Saturday morning :lol: No time to waste...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This GB somehow wouldn't feel right without one of these beauties being built. 

I still remember the catalogue quoting a whopping 273 parts are included in this fantastic box, complete with tractor and bomb trolleys. 

This really is a classic Airfix kit and deserves a little (a lot?) of TLC to get her over the line. 

Well done Greg and nice to hear from you again after the Matchbox GB. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Excellent choice, GregB. I 'bought one of these for my son' when he was about 5 and reading a picture book titled 'Tail End Charlie' - although that was about a dad's experiences in a B-25. I used poetic license and went for a Stirling build. I had both my son and SWMBO at me all day - 'is it finished yet...?' Finished in natural black and in the repair shop every day thereafter trying to keep up with the battle damage. Still got the bomb trolleys and tractor to build though and the stash has since been re-stocked with another kit for a more relaxed build someday. Looking forward to your build.

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Excellent choice Greg,I've pencilled this kit for my build too I haven't got the kit yet I was hoping to pick one up at the weekend show

so might switch to a Halifax instead be nice to have two type's in the GB.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

This GB somehow wouldn't feel right without one of these beauties being built. 

I still remember the catalogue quoting a whopping 273 parts are included in this fantastic box, complete with tractor and bomb trolleys. 

This really is a classic Airfix kit and deserves a little (a lot?) of TLC to get her over the line. 

Well done Greg and nice to hear from you again after the Matchbox GB. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

Hi Dave,

Good to see you here too. I am hoping for as good a GB as the Matchbox group.

I intend to add a few bits of my own to this one as kits of this vintage need a little extra effort to get a nice result.

Can't wait to get going shortly.

All the best Greg😉

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Excellent choice, GregB. I 'bought one of these for my son' when he was about 5 and reading a picture book titled 'Tail End Charlie' - although that was about a dad's experiences in a B-25. I used poetic license and went for a Stirling build. I had both my son and SWMBO at me all day - 'is it finished yet...?' Finished in natural black and in the repair shop every day thereafter trying to keep up with the battle damage. Still got the bomb trolleys and tractor to build though and the stash has since been re-stocked with another kit for a more relaxed build someday. Looking forward to your build.

Thank you!

I tried building a Sunderland with my youngest son but he lost interest a while ago. He still comes in to the workshop to see what I'm building but never wants to do any more with it despite it sitting on the shelf of doom. Being a big model its very hard to ignore.

Cheers Greg

Edited by GREG DESTEC
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Excellent choice Greg,I've pencilled this kit for my build too I haven't got the kit yet I was hoping to pick one up at the weekend show

so might switch to a Halifax instead be nice to have two type's in the GB.

Hi Steve!

Build a Stirling if you want to there's always room for one or two more 😀 the Halifax would be good to see too mind.

Cheers Greg

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Hi Steve!

Build a Stirling if you want to there's always room for one or two more 😀 the Halifax would be good to see too mind.

Cheers Greg

Yes a stirling is a sterling idea (we certainly need one in the gb!).

see what i did there??

Oh dear....i'll get me coat 😁

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Watching with interest Greg, this was the first kit me and my dad built.

Cool!

My Dad introduced me to modelling too. I will try to do it justice,

All the best Greg 😉 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Yes a stirling is a sterling idea (we certainly need one in the gb!).

see what i did there??

Oh dear....i'll get me coat 😁

You forgot to add that it was probably also payed with pound Sterling!! 

Oh dear - you got another coat there Lawzer? 

Cheers.. Dave (who hales from a land where Aussie sheckles don't but too many Pommy pounds these days!) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So its bomb/chocks away!

Time to have a closer look at what i'm dealing with here. Childhood memories of this kit were of shiny black plastic parts in abundance. My issue is a pale blue/grey colour. The parts don't appear warped on close examination, which is good and a dry fit of the main components looks promising. Here are some pic's for your amusement....

41629685115_2a19950d13_z.jpgIMG_2750 

LOTS of parts to play with.

40723613170_4d57faa599_z.jpgIMG_2751 

The first of many sink holes i don't remember from the first time around, or more likely, i just thought that how they were mean't to look!

27661316927_f2536c0295_z.jpgIMG_2752 

Meet the crew, the pilot and flight engineer appear to be doing the Lambeth Walk! While the gunners are eating donuts....

28658413988_f5483a5f2e_z.jpgIMG_2753 

More filling/sanding required....

41629674105_77569a7bc3_z.jpgIMG_2754

Like i said sink marks everywhere..

28658410078_2b1cb18ec8_z.jpgIMG_2755 

Full bomb load.

42480124932_2901a3fe02_z.jpgIMG_2756 

And heres where the party starts...In the office(s) for a change, not! Its a bit bare in there so i will do a bit of googling to see what i can add...

41629666475_f45a7f7600_z.jpgIMG_2757 

Check out the very detailed IP cut out and glue no less....

Well thats it for now i'm off to search for some Stirling interior shots.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers

Greg

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

I have just finished one of these - it was given as a Christmas present a couple of years ago. I have done three or four in my past, and there are definitely things in the kit that I don't recall! Like the sink marks especially. As you say, perhaps we saw things differently when we were young (and internet/references free)!

Looking forward to your progress.

All the best,

Ray

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Ray S said:

I have just finished one of these - it was given as a Christmas present a couple of years ago. I have done three or four in my past, and there are definitely things in the kit that I don't recall! Like the sink marks especially. As you say, perhaps we saw things differently when we were young (and internet/references free)!

Looking forward to your progress.

All the best,

Ray

Thanks Ray,

Did you post your most recent one here? 

Cheers Greg :thumbsup:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Thanks Ray,

Did you post your most recent one here? 

Cheers Greg :thumbsup:

No, I didn't! I did not think it was up to scratch really, even though I really enjoyed it. I may do though in the end!

All the best,

Ray

• Like 4

10 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Yes all look's familiar Greg,once you decide which squadron I'll do the other I'll let you get ahead so I can copy lol !

Cheers Steve,

Thanks for the head start 😆

But you'll still beat me to the finish line mate. I don't know if the old Airfix transfers will work come the time for finishing but I was going to do a mark 1. 

All the best

Greg 

• Like 3