92 Squadron BoB decals

Harry_the_Spider

Because radar would not work over land, observing the movement of aircraft relied upon visual observation by the Royal Observer Corps and other reporters.  The black wing, like the previous black/white combination, allowed spotters to readily identify friendly aircraft.  Or the enemy, too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Very interesting topic indeed. 

As it is known the Cobras changed code letters from GR to QJ somewhere in June/July period. But there have always been a problem with shapes of code letters, especially G during GR period. 

But as we are discussing the BoB period I have theory. It's taken for granted by many decal makers that Q looked same as in QJ-B, so a kind of generic font. But when you look at Havecroft's QJ-P the "hook" has different shape. So theory goes that those Spits which survived Dunkirk had Q letters painted by the same hand as G in GR code. The "generic" Q appeared with replacement aircraft. But, so far there are only Havercroft's photos where we can see these unusual Q letters. 

On the other hand Allan Wright's Spit from Pembrey had unusual finflash. 

I hope one day we'll see more Pembrey period photos of Spitfires used by the Cobras. 

Cheers 

On 6/1/2018 at 6:25 PM, BIG X said:

...or if you are a 'bodger' like me - you can even get a 'P'...

DSCF3636.jpg

Big X: Is that the 1/24 Airfix kit? If so, nice build. Always a pleasure to see one of those old "Superkits" built as nice as this.

Steve

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

Big X: Is that the 1/24 Airfix kit? If so, nice build. Always a pleasure to see one of those old "Superkits" built as nice as this.

Steve

Hi Steve - it certainly is the 1/24 Airfix MKIA.  When I built it back in late 2016 it was one of my first 'projects' after getting going in the hobby.  I love it dearly - but I wish I knew then what I know now about Humbrol dark green - ie - it is completely 'wrong'.  I was only working with rattle cans back then - but I have an airbrush now.  There is a proper RFI on it here...

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235024348-spitfire-mk1a-124-airfix/ 

Thanks! I'll have a look at the RFI.

I've got an Airfix Mk Ia I need to finish off. I threw everything and the kitchen sink at it, and scratch built a new interior. That was 12 years ago! It's ready for paint, but I spent so much time on it, I can't bring myself to paint it in case I muck it up! How silly is that?

I know what you mean about Humbrol 30. I do wish Airfix would stop pushing it as the colour for RAF dark green.

Steve

• 1 month later...

Holy Thread Resurrection Batman!

About to start on this today. Apparently Geoff Wellum's aircraft was QJ K. I have QJ B. I'll have a go at painting a K on my poor old Hawk Test Pig and see how it comes out.

"K" would be quite an easy letter to make a mask for because there are no closed in areas like a "D" and no curves.  Make the thickness of the lines the same as the other letters and draw it in a rectangle the same dimensions as your other letters (I did it for a 1/48 Fulmar).

Make it using de-tacked tape, cover any other decals with a post it or cling film before putting your mask in place..  

Good luck...