RAF Phantom R.3 (RF-4E)

iainpeden

42476199291_dee8c9328e_k.jpgPhantomr3 011 by Iain Peden, on Flickr

42476203751_375997fe08_k.jpgPhantomr3 005 by Iain Peden, on Flickr

RAF R.3 Phantom

When F-4 Phantom production ended in 1978, McDonnel Douglas were left with a small number of Iranian Phantoms which they were not allowed to deliver due to sanctions imposed after the Iranian revolution and the associated siege of the US embassy in Tehran; these became known as “The Iranian Stores” and took up space at the back of one of the St. Louis hangars.

The introduction of the Tornado GR.1A was intended to modernise the RAF’s reconnaissance capability allowing the Phantoms serving with 2 and 41 squadrons to convert to the air defence role and the Canberra PR.7s and PR.9s to be retired. However software problems with the GR.1A were proving insurmountable and it was realised a capability gap existed – something seen as more important then than it is now.

The Canberras were worn out and the air defence units needed all the airframes they could get.

A British Aerospace executive happened to be visiting St. Louis to discuss the proposed Super Phantom upgrade and noticed the “spare” airframes. Realising that these could be the answer to the RAF’s reconnaissance needs, and looking to make a quick buck for Bae, he organised a private sale – company to company – of the RF-4Es which then sold them on to the RAF at a distinct mark up.

A few modifications were made, RWR on top of the fin (but no ILS), an additional data link behind the canopy and most noticeable a refuelling probe plumbed into the USAF system similar to that used by the Spanish Air Force on their RF-4Cs. Wiring to allow the carriage of the EMI pod on the centreline station was also added. Unconfirmed reports say the HIAC pod could also be carried but no photographic evidence exists.

13 squadron retired its Canberras at RAF Wyton on the 1st of January and stood up again on the 1st April 1982 at Wattisham (where it gave useful experience in the servicing of J-79 engined aircraft before the F-4Js arrived)

The serials given were in the XV520 series; these had been put aside for an additional buy of FGR.2s which never materialised. The sharper eyed may notice that this aircraft appears to carry the serial XV495. Nothing to do with a misinformation programme, simply a point in time when the RAF where beginning to use stickers for everything  rather than painting markings on and some poor erk got the wrong stickers out of the box. (and he didn’t do it very well, hence the silvering).

The Phantom RF-4E (UK) – sometimes labelled as the Phantom R.3 – was the final version to serve with the airforce, being withdrawn in 1996 and sold to Malta, by which time they had all been painted in grey overall.

(This also explains why the F-4J (UK) were so titled as F-4 Phantom F.4 is a little convoluted)

The model itself is the 1/72  Esci RF-4C/E with refuelling probe and blade aerial from the Kinetic Harrier T4 (1/48). Decals are from the spares box.

I have still to add the recon nose windows and the EMI recce pod.

27605606407_6f8eb770e9_k.jpgPhantomr3 003 by Iain Peden, on Flickr

42425904462_339f545d4a_k.jpgPhantomr3 001 by Iain Peden, on Flickr

• Like 10

Great model of a great whif. If i had done this i would've just changed the WSO’s right panel to a USN/RN blank wall. Then i would've scribed the USN Refueling probe door that was outside of the cockpit. It would look a bit cleaner than having the big probe exposed on the Fuselage. 

I like the idea.  My personal preference is to use the new Airfix kit. I have the carcase of an Italeri RF-4C from which I am going to remove the nose and, graft it on to the Airfix kit. It would of course also be capable of carrying the EMI Reconnaissance pod

Allan