The Argonauts

Who were the Argonauts? Well, they were a band of ancient Greek heroes who crewed a ship called "The Argos" and helped Jason steal the Golden Fleece from Colchis, a kingdom on the shores of the Black Sea.

The myths tend to disagree on members of the crew, but certain names consistently show up; Heracles and his nephew, Iolaus, are almost always included in the story, and other important Argonauts were the shipwright Argos himself, the huntress Atalanta, the musician Orpheus, plus dozens of additional demigods and kings.

They would undertake a number of adventures, fighting some of the most famous monsters in Greek mythology. First stop on the journey was at Lemnos, where the women of the island had been cursed by Aphrodite into killing all men – on sight. Escaping the island, more or less intact, the Argonauts would next fight the fearsome Harpies. Having released a prisoner of the Harpies, (who just happened to be a blind seer???), Jason now learned the location of Colchis and how to pass the Clashing Rocks that stood guard over the sea lanes.

On arriving in Colchis, the goddesses Hera and Aphrodite caused Medea, daughter of King Aeëtes, to fall in love with Jason and help him kill the Hyrda – the dragon-like guardian of the Golden Fleece.

King Aeëtes then sewed the teeth of the Hydra which immediately grew into ghastly skeletal warriors. Fighting off these boney opponents, the Argonauts hightailed it out of Colchis, taking both the fleece and Medea with them, but not before she secured their escape by cutting her brother into pieces and throwing him into the sea.

This piece of foul play kind of upset the gods a bit, so they delayed the Argonauts journey home, causing them to deal with multiple storms and other hazards; including the witch Circe, the Sirens and the animated bronze statue, Talos.

As usual in Greek mythology, the legend didn’t have a happy ending, especially not for Medea. But that’s a different story.

The diorama base is paper mache painted with Vallejo earth tones, then static grass shot onto it. Additional details from Reality in Scale, and the "weird & wonderful" section of my spares box.
All figures are white metal kits from Pegaso, EVD, Alexandros, Ares, etc.....with a special guest star appearance of a Ray Harryhausen creation from "The 7th Voyage of Sinbad". 

a. The Argonauts

b. The Argonauts

c. The Argonauts

d. The Argonauts

e. The Argonauts

f. The Argonauts

g. The Argonauts

i. The Argonauts

h. The Argonauts

j The Argonauts

Edited by Cadman
spellin'
  • Like 22

28 minutes ago, bhouse said:

How on earth did you paint that head of Medusa? Do your use a microscope and a single hair brush?

Busy trying to make an old Eva Cassidy song fit into a slideshow of my Boudicca diorama for a mate of mine in the States right now.

Can't remember if I ever posted that one up here on this forum -- but if I did, then the photos are long gone -- to that hopefully awful place down below where the Evil Photobucket Demon now resides. 

Gimme a wee while and I'll try and post them up in a new thread.

Cheers

Cadman's Studio Cathay Productions....😁

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Your brushwork is amazing.

Aaaiieeeeh.

Please don't say anything like that around my wife. The months-long campaign she's been waging to get me to repaint the living room has me almost at breaking point.

😢😢....😭😭....😲

• Haha 3