Badger's build number 2 - 1/72 Sopwith Pup

24 minutes ago, BIG X said:

I've been watching with great interest - can I go to bed now - I've got work in the morning :winkgrin:

Me too.

One last photo. The Airfix seat mounts are very wrong and put the seat in at a weird angle.

The wingnut instructions and a quick google search suggest the seat fits much lower and perpendicular to the fuselage bottom.

I therefore trimmed off the mounting bracket and build two new ones from evergreen strip. As these were much closer to scale I didn't trust them to support the seat so put a spacer under it and glued it to the cockpit floor.

The kit seat mounting holes were then filled.

This is the current progress so far.

2018-06-04_12-10-14

All the best

Ben

• Like 8

7 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Nice to see another Pup.  I think we'll see a lot of them in this GB.  In my opinion, the Airfix Pup was one of the jewels of the Airfix line. You are doing it proud!

Many thanks - most of my additions are of the "if it looks right" type as very little will be seen once it's all together.

12 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Coming on nicely ben! 👍

Many thanks - I did more than I expected last night as things were going well

• Like 2

1 minute ago, badger said:

very little will be seen once it's all together.

Mine too, but as my father once reminded me, "How will they fly the plane without the controls?"

Your build has elevated the field a notch or two. 

• Like 3

I will be very interested to see how you guys handle the polished wood grain propeller - painting wood that looks like 'wood' is way beyond my skill set :popcorn: 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BIG X said:

I will be very interested to see how you guys handle the polished wood grain propeller - painting wood that looks like 'wood' is way beyond my skill set :popcorn: 

Hmmm - interesting question and to be honest I hadn't thought about it. I'll be happy if I get that far though!

I have some wood grain decal if all else fails.

• Like 1

Well thanks to this thread within this GB, I’ve just put an offer in for one of these little Pups on eBay. We’ll see how it goes, however this kit looks quite neat and might be an ideal start to my bi-plane building collection. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Well thanks to this thread within this GB, I’ve just put an offer in for one of these little Pups on eBay. We’ll see how it goes, however this kit looks quite neat and might be an ideal start to my bi-plane building collection. 

Cheers.. Dave

High praise indeed! Thank you!

It's been a pleasant build so far - we'll see what the rest holds but I'm quietly hopeful it will stay that way.

Hopefully more after dinner

All the best

Ben

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, badger said:

High praise indeed! Thank you!

It's been a pleasant build so far - we'll see what the rest holds but I'm quietly hopeful it will stay that way.

Hopefully more after dinner

All the best

Ben

Dinner... Dinner...  Tea lad Tea...  Well 'up north' anyway :winkgrin:

• Haha 1

Looks like my offer has been accepted so I’d better stump up for the funds now. I’m sure my Pup won’t make an appearance during this GB, however I’ll now be following both these kit builds on here a little more closely. The problem is, I’m a real doofer for changing my mind at a moments notice (see what growing up with three elder sisters does?) so I might get all enthused and add a third pup to this Airfix kennel. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BIG X said:

Dinner... Dinner...  Tea lad Tea...  Well 'up north' anyway :winkgrin:

Sorry - have to blend in so as to not upset the locals!

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Looks like my offer has been accepted so I’d better stump up for the funds now. I’m sure my Pup won’t make an appearance during this GB, however I’ll now be following both these kit builds on here a little more closely. The problem is, I’m a real doofer for changing my mind at a moments notice (see what growing up with three elder sisters does?) so I might get all enthused and add a third pup to this Airfix kennel. 

Cheers.. Dave

Hi Dave

It's a fun little kit so pretty sure you'll be pleased with it.

Be great if you do decide to build it - the more the merrier!

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

Time for a mini update.

The kit has a reasonable instrument panel with some raised bezels which would probably paint up ok.

The main problem is that I want to add the spent cartridge chute which fits behind it so the kit part is way too thick.

It also has only 4 bezels where my reference photos show 5.

Out with a piece of card from an eduard etch set and some ancient fotocut deluxe etched bezels and we have:

2018-06-04_09-17-43

Kit part is in the left for comparison.

Rather pleased with this!

All the best

Ben

• Like 5

More progress.

The last part to scratchbuild for the cockpit floor was the control column.

This was a couple of different sized pieces of albion alloys tube with the grip bent to shape with needle tweezers.

IMG_20180604_214206

Next was the gun spent cartridge chute. As I'm building a trainer, then I figured it wouldn't have the gun fitted but (artistic licence in play), would have the fittings for the gun.

I've started trimming the top cowling to expose the area where the chute will go.

Need to do the right hand side next

2018-06-04_10-02-08

All the best

Ben

• Like 5

Last update for tonight as pretty tired now.

I've trimmed out both sides of the cowling (got a bit carried away on the right fuselage half and have had to fill it a little).

Have recycled the old instrument panel as a blanking plate and attached this further down the fuselage than its usual place.

IMG_20180604_223625

I now need to scratch three complex shapes to represent the spent cartridge chute,ammo belt winder and gun mount(I think).

Will be raiding the bits box tomorrow to see what I have I can use.

All the best

Ben

Just noticed I still need to clean up the filler on the old seat mounting holes!

Edited by badger
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

This is amazing stuff!  :o

@badger building a biplane!  :o

And from a pre-1980 Airfix kit that seems to feature reasonably accurate interior fuselage detail!  :o

WTF?  :o

WTF indeed Sgt - Badger's a man of many talents - that's for sure...

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

This is amazing stuff!  :o

@badger building a biplane!  :o

And from a pre-1980 Airfix kit that seems to feature reasonably accurate interior fuselage detail!  :o

WTF?  :o

Wonders never cease! Either that or you have entered a weird parallel dimension where everything is not as it seems! 

12 hours ago, BIG X said:

WTF indeed Sgt - Badger's a man of many talents - that's for sure...

Thanks - not sure I deserve that but I'll happily take it!

• Haha 1