Badger's build number 2 - 1/72 Sopwith Pup

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

TBH I was mostly playing.....Ben and I discuss many of our madder projects, so I was aware of his many talents, although this one did catch me by surprise.  ;)

Are you having a go at this one Sgt.  I'll bet you have plenty of vintage Airfix armour floating around...

• Like 1

I certainly do, but sadly I don't think I can commit to this one.....Too many things going on at once.  :(

PS - If Airfix hadn't just decided to abandon military vehicle models completely I might feel a little more inclined to join in.  :angrysoapbox.sml:

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

After a turgid week at work which has thrown my mojo way off course I have managed to do a bit more on this.

Whilst building a display base for one of my tanks I had some polyfilla left over so have started the scenic base for the pup.

This is a wooden base from an old mug tree rescued from the bin during an office move. I have covered this with a thin layer of watered down ready mix polyfilla (actually cheap homebase equivalent!) applied with an old tea spoon and roughly smoothed out with a wet finger.

2018-06-10_10-08-54

After 5 mins drying I have sprinkled coarse and fine shotblasting powder over the top to add texture. The excess is shaken off (and returned to the tub for reuse).

Once dry this will be painted as soil and grass added to make a simple grass runway. I'll add a figure or two to add interest once the pup is done.

2018-06-10_10-12-24

I need to paint the edges that are currently bright red in gloss black to match my other models and will add a name plate once everything is finished.

That's all for tonight but feels good to at least be doing a little more on this.

All the best

Ben

Edited by badger
  • Like 5

OK - Homebase it is for me this week.  I'm really glad to see you getting stuck in - slow and steady as she goes - looking forward to more soon.

All the best - Steve

• Thanks 1

Thanks Steve

Really want to build this but haven't felt like it for a few nights.

Hopefully, as you said, a bit here and there will move this along.

Biggest stumbling block with it at the moment is scratch building the gun mounts. Need to dig in the bits box to see what I have that can help.

Any interior filler works fine - I buy a tub of the ready mixed variety but usually water it down a touch so its nice and smooth. I have several pots of fine gravel, sand and the shot blasting powders for adding surface texture, depending on what I want to represent.

Happy to help when you're ready to have a go.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/4/2018 at 5:52 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

Well thanks to this thread within this GB, I’ve just put an offer in for one of these little Pups on eBay. We’ll see how it goes, however this kit looks quite neat and might be an ideal start to my bi-plane building collection. 

Cheers.. Dave

If you don't win it, PM me. I have a spare one you can have if you want it, although it's somewhere in between Boston and Abu Dhabi at the mo!

Ian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, limeypilot said:

If you don't win it, PM me. I have a spare one you can have if you want it, although it's somewhere in between Boston and Abu Dhabi at the mo!

Ian

Thanks for the offer Ian, I successfully won the Pup and it has already winged its long way from the UK to Australia. I’ve got a few more GB models to finish, so this won’t get started for a while yet. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 10/06/2018 at 23:00, badger said:

Thanks Steve

Really want to build this but haven't felt like it for a few nights.

Hopefully, as you said, a bit here and there will move this along.

Biggest stumbling block with it at the moment is scratch building the gun mounts. Need to dig in the bits box to see what I have that can help.

Any interior filler works fine - I buy a tub of the ready mixed variety but usually water it down a touch so its nice and smooth. I have several pots of fine gravel, sand and the shot blasting powders for adding surface texture, depending on what I want to represent.

Happy to help when you're ready to have a go.

All the best

Ben

Any bits added to this Pup as yet? I know you have two tanks on the go and have mentioned plenty of removals/disruptions in the household but surely you are due some calming modelling time? I was interested to see a size comparison between the Pup and the Bristol F.2B - the Bristol feels small in the hands but I bet the Pup is tiny! All the best. Mike.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Mike

Sadly not- haven't touched any models for a couple of weeks now as life got in the way.

Have finished all the DIY now so hopefully I can pick this up again.

I hit a stumbling block with the gun mounts, then went through a surprise redundancy at work which threw me off kilter (luckily I was the one selected so have kept my job).

I need to pick this back up again as I would like to get it finished.

Thanks for looking in 

All the best

Ben

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward to it Ben...  I am having router problems at home as of last night - so don't do too much over the bank holiday weekend or I might miss it ;)

All the best - Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, BIG X said:

Looking forward to it Ben...  I am having router problems at home as of last night - so don't do too much over the bank holiday weekend or I might miss it ;)

All the best - Steve

Haha - don't think that's overly likely :cwl:

All the best

Ben

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Well sadly this one didn't make it to the finish line.

Problems at work totally killed my mojo for this build and I never managed to get it back.

Oh well - there's alway the KUTA gb.

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, badger said:

Well sadly this one didn't make it to the finish line.

Problems at work totally killed my mojo for this build and I never managed to get it back.

Oh well - there's alway the KUTA gb.

All the best

Ben

Hey Ben - I look forward to 'bumping into you' in the KUTA GB.  I have a very nasty Gypsy Moth that has been 'haunting' me for over a year now and that could be the time to finally 'swot it'.

All the best

Steve

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Ben

Really sorry to hear about all the troubles at work. I can appreciate how unsettling that has been.

I hope your modelling mojo returns, remember you have lots of mates all over the planet here on BM, who are always on your side when you need us.

take care Pat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All good Ben. At times life has a nasty way of killing off ones modelling mojo, however the good news is it’ll return in some shape and form and usually in a bigger way. We’ve all been there and back so look forward to seeing this one finished a little later. 

Thanks for taking part.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers for the support chaps! Very much appreciated.

Although it wasn't pleasant, things have settled down a bit now workwise but I just haven't been able to get back into this build.

Luckily I have managed to finish off a couple of tanks so all is not lost.

Taking a few weeks off at present and working on some wargames stuff for a break as I sometimes find a change of subject helps.

All the best and thanks again

Ben

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, badger said:

Taking a few weeks off at present and working on some wargames stuff for a break as I sometimes find a change of subject helps.

Brilliant news Ben - I'll be in touch - Steve

• Like 1