Badger's build number 2 - 1/72 Sopwith Pup

Morning All,

For this build I'll be attempting my first aircraft for 20+ years and my first ever biplane! Yes I will be rigging it!

I have chosen the Airfix Sopwith Pup as I have had this in the stash for at least 20 years, making it a top three contender for oldest stash resident.

This was a blister carded issue - I've mislaid the card (with the instructions) so will add this in if I find it.

Airfix Catalogue information:
Series: 1
First Issued: 1974
Catalogue Ref - 12th Edition (1975): 01062-1
Catalogue Ref - 14th Edition (1977): 01062-1
Catalogue Ref - 15th Edition (1978): 01062-1
Catalogue Ref - 1983 Edition: 9 61062

This is the kit:

IMG_20180531_202855

Decals were beyond repair and were binned years ago, so will be replaced with this blue rider sheet - I'll be building the green one.

IMG_20180531_203124IMG_20180531_203140

There will be a small amount of detailing added to the cockpit using various generic detail sets.

IMG_20180531_203044

I may not use all (or any!) of these.

This is my reference material - rather different than the Chieftain! 

IMG_20180531_203103

Not a bad looking kit for it's age and a dry fit shows a decent fit of the fuselage halves.

All the best

Ben

Edited by badger
Added photos
  • Like 11

Its a loverly kit. Airfix even supply two plastic guides for setting the wing stagger - although I never needed them cos it all goes together very easily

If you are going to fit a control column afair the Pup had a square topped one

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Smashing pix and a good looking kit.  I like the way the spars have those spacers that sink into the wings - nice idea.  Nice looking scheme too and all that after market - GO FOR IT BEN

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice choice badger, if you get a chance check out Kermit Weeks Fantasy of Flight video of his Sopwith Pup he's recently finished restoring on YouTube.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've always wanted to tackle this little Pup and am sure you'll build will help inspire my long held desires. 

Rigging scares me more than snakes and spiders, however I'm sure I'll have to tackle my fears one of these days. 

This is an excellent choice and all that AM stuff will ensure this thread is one to keep a sharp eye on. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I actually figured out a way to rig the Pup using the 'shoelace' method...drill the holes in the ends of the struts--all the struts--and when the build is completed , start with a piece of monofilament in one hole, glue it.  Then lace up the remaining bits.  Once it is all glued and dry, go around with the tip of a very sharp Exacto and snip snip snip what you don't need.  

It actually worked!  I though it up in the shower.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for looking in everyone.

Pretty sure I'll need all the advice and encouragement I can get for this one as I know virtually nothing about aircraft.

Last one I built was the airfix 1/72 jaguar about 23 years ago!

All the best

Ben

20 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

I actually figured out a way to rig the Pup using the 'shoelace' method...drill the holes in the ends of the struts--all the struts--and when the build is completed , start with a piece of monofilament in one hole, glue it.  Then lace up the remaining bits.  Once it is all glued and dry, go around with the tip of a very sharp Exacto and snip snip snip what you don't need.  

It actually worked!  I though it up in the shower.

Thank you - I'll try this!

• Like 3

If you can't find your instructions;

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/viewtopic.php?f=280&t=28608

courtesy of the Airfix Tribute Forum

But really, how hard can it be? Just mind which side the struts with the pitots go on; starboard afair

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, badger said:

Thank you - I'll try this!

Don't...it worked but it was problematic.  There are actually easier and better ways to do this.  I was just being OCD about the process.

• Thanks 1

After a bit of a think I have decided this will be a background build whilst I work on the Chieftain, as this is the more complex of my two entries.

However I still intend to try to get this finished for the gb as I have another 50 odd WW1 aircraft in the stash I would like to build.

All the best

Ben

• Like 3

Looking at this whilst filler dries on the Chieftain I have discovered some interior detail - in places that will never be seen and some ejection marks in places that will!

I'll need to add something inside to represent the framework and will be replacing the seat, adding a control column (square topped - cheers Black Knight!) and detailing the instrument panel.

Also fairly sure as a trainer it wouldn't have the gun fitted so will be leaving that out and building a representation of the shell chute.

Lots of work ahead!

All the best

Ben

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, badger said:

Looking at this whilst filler dries on the Chieftain I have discovered some interior detail - in places that will never be seen and some ejection marks in places that will!

I'll need to add something inside to represent the framework and will be replacing the seat, adding a control column (square topped - cheers Black Knight!) and detailing the instrument panel.

Also fairly sure as a trainer it wouldn't have the gun fitted so will be leaving that out and building a representation of the shell chute.

Lots of work ahead!

All the best

Ben

all that AND rigging - respect is due...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Steve!

Some progress on this build. The ejector pin marks are cleaned up and a rough floor measured up and added from scrap plastic rescued from a vacform building I have in the stash. Waste not - want not!

2018-06-03_09-39-20

All the best

Ben

• Like 3

10 mins bodging brings this - framework for the pilots foot trays (is that the right name?), and the spar the control column fits to. Needs a final trim once the glue has dried.

All recycled scrap from built kits.

2018-06-03_10-08-31

• Like 4

Pilots foot trays added from a bit of old decal backing paper and rudder bar added.

None of this is measured as it is only meant to be an approximation as little will be seen once it's all together anyway.

2018-06-03_10-26-56

• Like 4

Missing framework and bracing added to left fuselage half from evergreen strip and stretched sprue.

2018-06-03_10-47-47

• Like 5

Just had a look at the etched seats I have and none are the correct shape.

As it appears the Pup had a metal seat not wicker I've decided to use the kit one but thin it out as the back support was about 6ft thick if scaled up to actual size!

This will allow me to use the original seat mounting holes so saves having to make a new fitting. 

I'll dress it up with some etch belts.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, badger said:

Just had a look at the etched seats I have and none are the correct shape.

As it appears the Pup had a metal seat not wicker I've decided to use the kit one but thin it out as the back support was about 6ft thick if scaled up to actual size!

This will allow me to use the original seat mounting holes so saves having to make a new fitting. 

I'll dress it up with some etch belts.

6ft thick... Now that is what I  call seat armour.

As for stretching sprue - the thought terrifies me - I'd probably burn the house down.

Coming on great though - amazing what can be achieved in such a short time :goodjob:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1