Badger's build number 1 - 1/76 Chieftain Mk 2

Morning all.

This will be my first build:

Airfix Chieftain

An ebay purchase, still sealed in its shrink wrap.

Think this is the right catalogue info for it:

Airfix Catalogue information:
Series: 2
First Issued: 1970
Catalogue Ref - 7th Edition (1969): A205V
Catalogue Ref - 8th Edition (1970): A205V
Catalogue Ref - 9th Edition (1971): A205V
Catalogue Ref - 10th Edition (1973): 02305-8

I have the 1973 boxing judging by the box number and artwork.

Contents

Airfix Chieftain

This will be built as an early(ish) Mk2 as this is what the kit depicts.

The chieftain went through many upgrades during it's service life but I'd really like an early one to go with several cromwell resin kits I have of later versions.

This is my reference pile - can you tell I rather like chieftains?

Airfix Chieftain

I'll be using these add ons. The matador set is to convert it to a Mk 3 which I won't be doing, but a couple of the bits will be needed.

Airfix Chieftain

The wee friends running gear set replaces the horrible vinyl tracks and corrects (in my opinion) the one main failing of the kit - the strange multi-ridged roadwheels.

Airfix ChieftainAirfix Chieftain

I've built this kit before (as a later version), so have some idea of the challenges the build will throw up.

The main issue is the fit of the roof top so I'll be paying special attention to that!

Looking forward to making a start. Roll on the weekend!

All the best

Ben

• Like 10

Nice one Ben - with all that reference material and after market tackle I am sure it will be super accurate - proper 'silk purse from a sows ear territory.  I am sure I'll learn a lot from this one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Badger, I know next to naught about tanks, so congratulations on being the first armour entry to enrol into this GB. 

I think you'll find that the oval Airfix logo will probably date this around the late 70's to early 80's. Ratch will come along to correct us all. 

Cheers and welcome.. Dave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to all for the interest and release details.

I'll be starting this tomorrow as have had visitors down for  a few days who.have now gone so I can get back to the desk.

My biggest concern with this build is the metal running gear as not sure how well it will go together and line up. I can see making a jig in my future!

More tomorrow

Ben

• Like 2

Progress!

Sadly the couple of progress photos I took earlier seem to have vanished off my phone, so I've taken a few to shown where this is now after a couple of hours work.

So far it's gone together ok. Careful dryfitting and constant trimming and adjustment paid off as I've got this together much more tidily than the last one I made.

Hull:

2018-06-03_08-37-28

2018-06-03_08-37-51

Turret:

2018-06-03_08-38-08

The gun barrel was replaced by a spare from the kit I built previously (that has a metal one), as it had a huge sinkhole in the fume extractor.

2018-06-03_08-38-23

This looks a bit rough but its a known problem area with the kit and will need some filler.

Hull & turret together:

2018-06-03_08-38-54

The turret still needs the rear plate fitting which is the next job.

All the best

Ben

Edited by badger
Poor spelling
  • Like 3

Good job I ordered a new tube of this last week ready for the gb!

2018-06-03_08-59-44

Think I'll be using a bit on the turret!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not forgotten this - have another tank almost finished that I want to clear up first before getting back to this

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 16/06/2018 at 17:09, badger said:

Not forgotten this - have another tank almost finished that I want to clear up first before getting back to this

..and that other tank is looking good. Looking forward to the Chieftain moving on too. Cheers Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, Courageous said:

I bet you have Ben? I'm looking to getting one of these kits, just to do an early one, and would like a little more action on this build.

Stuart

Hi Stuart

Yep - definitely a resident of the shelf of shame now. 

I've just ordered the Takom twin pack of the mark 10 and 11 but still plan on building this as the mark 2.

Am away at the moment but might revisit it when I finish off my t-34 for the group build. 

All the best

Ben 

• Like 2