CANT Z.1007 Question

dogsbody

The bit of sprue that they forgot to trim off?

I have no idea what that is. First guess was a fuel dump, but it's in a really silly place for that and it doesn't look right either. Antenna for something? Odd place, and I don't think that the Italians had much in the way of special radio gear. It's a doozy and no mistake! I can't even find it noted on the few cutaways that I can access. Here's hoping that some Italophile shows up and tells us...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Fuel vents, according to Giancarlo Garello's book C.R.D.A. Cant Z.1007 from Ali d'Italia series. Cheers

Jure

For venting fuel overboard or to keep the fuel tanks from getting vacuum-locked as the fuel is pumped out to the engines?

That's about the only Ali d Italia book I never could get. Would it be possible for you to post a scan of that information?

Chris

Edited by dogsbody

Unfortunately I have no idea, Chris. It is part of a photo caption which reads: ˝Thanks to its robust structure, this CANT Z.1007bis from 193rd Squadriglia (87th Gruppo) will soon return to service. The unit codes on the fuselage seemed to have been deliberately painted over with hasty strokes of white paint. The vertical tubes near the wing tips are fuel vents.˝.

That is all. Cheers

Jure

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dogsbody said:

For venting fuel overboard or to keep the fuel tanks from getting vacuum-locked as the fuel is pumped out to the engines?

That's about the only Ali d Italia book I never could get. Would it be possible for you to post a scan of that information?

Chris

They are to prevent vacuum-locking. Information coming from the official air force "assembly and regulation" manual.

To vent fuel overboard there was a vent on the lower fuselage.

If you can read Italian, or know someone who can help you, you can check this and other manuals at this page:

http://www.avia-it.com/act/profili_daerei/libretti_velivolo/avianew_profili_aerei_libretti_miana_velivoli.asp

Really though, even if you can't read Italian the amount of information available in those manuals as pictures and diagrams is unvaluable for any Italian WW2 aircraft enthusiast...

Manuals with a CN are the so-called Catalogo Nomenclatore, that is the list of all parts in the aircraft. And I mean really all parts, including bolts and the like

Those with a MR are assembly and fitting manuals

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Thanks 1