1911 Rolls Royce

I'm pretty excited about this group build and this kit. First released in 1955, I don't know if there have been changes over the decades since. I wonder what they mean by Special Edition.

IMG_7380

Many small sprues, like a modern low-production kit. Includes a sheet of acetate for cutting windshields.

IMG_7382

Comes with a really good driver figure.

IMG_7383

• Like 9

Looks good Ted. As a 1955 release kit this is now offically the oldest Airfix mould to be built during this GB.

I say, the old fella looks a bit shifty? Make sure you don't position his arms in any compromising positions when the GB green lights starts!!   

Cheers and welcome .. Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Thanks guys, after dumping out the sprues the voice inside my head started listing the parts that I should replace with scratchbuilt bits : lamps, seats, convertible roof, dashboard... :frantic:

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Ted said:

Thanks guys, after dumping out the sprues the voice inside my head started listing the parts that I should replace with scratchbuilt bits : lamps, seats, convertible roof, dashboard... :frantic:

I hope you leave 'some' of the original kit in the build - :giggle:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

I hope you leave 'some' of the original kit in the build - :giggle:

I'll definitely not compromise the integrity of this wonderful relic. :whistle:

• Haha 3

And we're off! This is what the interior of a Rolls Royce looks like:

IMG_7389

I sanded and puttied the ejection pin marks, while that was drying I looked through the rest of the parts and noticed a luggage rack is included in the kit. If I've learned one thing from armour modelling it's that you can distract from, and cover up many blemishes with stowage. So this model will get these bits.

IMG_7393

After the putty was dry and sanded I used some styrene sheet to add some very basic detail to the interior.

IMG_7399

Then I started the process of gluing the two halves together.

IMG_7400

banana

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Ted said:

And we're off! This is what the interior of a Rolls Royce looks like:

IMG_7389

I sanded and puttied the ejection pin marks, while that was drying I looked through the rest of the parts and noticed a luggage rack is included in the kit. If I've learned one thing from armour modelling it's that you can distract from, and cover up many blemishes with stowage. So this model will get these bits.

IMG_7393

After the putty was dry and sanded I used some styrene sheet to add some very basic detail to the interior.

IMG_7399

Then I started the process of gluing the two halves together.

IMG_7400

banana

I agree! You cant beat a bit of decent stowage or luggage to jazz a vehicle model up! 

• Like 1

On ‎02‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 14:16, Ted said:

If I've learned one thing from armour modelling it's that you can distract from, and cover up many blemishes with stowage. So this model will get these bits.

IMG_7393

I love the stowage - but I doubt it will distract anyone from that bonnet - or do we call it a hood in Ontario - power on Ted

• Haha 3

I managed to wrastle the body straight. I needed to use some reinforcements.

IMG_7402

IMG_7403

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

I got a bit done after returning from holiday. While away I picked up a tin of Humbrol Oxford Blue, figured that an old Airfix kit deserves some proper paint.

IMG_7404

• Like 8

hI  ALL,

there are some roolly good Headlights available now made by BARCHETTA

they are really for 1/32 Slot Racers........ and a generic Tail light Set.

I could just scream !...... I can't find 'em and I forget which Internet Site I bought them from

HOBBY LINK JAPAN maybe

Geoff

F.T.G. 3156

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, G.E.SAUNDERS said:

hI  ALL,

there are some roolly good Headlights available now made by BARCHETTA

they are really for 1/32 Slot Racers........ and a generic Tail light Set.

I could just scream !...... I can't find 'em and I forget which Internet Site I bought them from

HOBBY LINK JAPAN maybe

Geoff

F.T.G. 3156

Thanks Geoff, next time I mail order I'll have a look at aftermarket headlights. I think SKP make some for 1/35 modern armour as well. For this model (and my Rolls Royce armoured car in the Mediterranean GB) I'll just hollow out the kit plastic parts and pour some clear resin.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This good summer weather really interferes with important things like Airfix group builds. I glued in the bench seats, gonna need some putty :mellow:

IMG_7406

I scrounged in my box of people parts for a passenger figure. Found this resin head, resin top hat! and old shwimwagen crew with gloves gripped in one hand, how perfect is that? I did some repositioning of elbows and will have to sculpt a coat over the German uniform.

IMG_7411

• Like 10

Thanks guys, the fellow with the sideburns will be the passenger, I'll use the kit figure for the driver.

I got some paint on the model, matte Humbrol Oxford Blue. I'll give it a clearcoat later. Enamel paint flows like butter, so nice to airbrush.

IMG_7416

Then I finished the rear rack with the luggage. Pretty happy with that. I also faked the lamp with paint.

IMG_7414

IMG_7415

• Like 7

Great work so far on what looks a challenging kit. Nice to see something a little different. 

Cant help but think the drivers a peaky blinder though....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

• 5 weeks later...
On 14/07/2018 at 20:27, Ted said:

Thanks guys, the fellow with the sideburns will be the passenger, I'll use the kit figure for the driver.

I got some paint on the model, matte Humbrol Oxford Blue. I'll give it a clearcoat later. Enamel paint flows like butter, so nice to airbrush.

Then I finished the rear rack with the luggage. Pretty happy with that. I also faked the lamp with paint.

(Oxford Blue is my new favourite colour) but there is some excellent detailed painting going on here - this is looking splendid. Cheers. Mike

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Now if only I had time to build models. I look forward to September when things should be less busy.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...