1/72 Revell Lancaster B.III Special "Dambuster"

• Kit manufacture: Revell
  • Scale: 1/72
  • Type:Lancaster B.III Special "Dambusters"
  • Extras used: Eduard Photoetch interior and Masking set, brass guns, resin wheels, Xtradecals.
  • Paints and colours used: Tamiya Rubber Black, Nato Black and Sea Blue (interior, underside, wheels) Gloss Black (props, undercarriage), Mr Color Dark Earth and Dark Green (RAF WWII). Gloss coat Alclad Aqua Gloss, matt cost Vallejo polyurethane Matt Varnish. Weathering wash Flory's Dark Dirt (top) and a mix of Light Wash and Black for underside.

Hi all!

So, I've got the Lanc finished, and roughly in time for the Dambusters anniversary! I would love to say that was mu intention, but in truth it was just coincidence. Still, it's nice to be able to commemorate the event with this build.

The build thread got hit with Photobucket, and as such got semi-abandoned.

The kit is Revell! It's good value for money (especially as I got it second hand) and the external detail is beautiful. However, the fit in places isn't great. It's not a bad kit by any stretch but does require quite a bit of work in places. The engines to wing join was the worst, but some of the glasswork was the most annoying.

The kit decals are poor, out of register and not very receptive of decal solutions. I used Xtradecals decal sheet which were absolutely stunning. I didn't seal one side of the code numbers very well so they tore a bit with weathering, but decided to leave it a bit weathered!

I used a few AM bits. Eduard interior set (waste of time, you can see nothing!), Resin wheels (forgot the make, a bit of work needed but worth it) and brass guns which are exquisite, ruined only by the chump fitting them!

Also worth nothing I stuck all the small bits like activators on early doors to get a better hold. That was a silly idea, they've all gone!

So here we go:

fullsizeoutput_1634-X4.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1639-X3.jpg

fullsizeoutput_163d-X4.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1645-X4.jpg

fullsizeoutput_164a-X4.jpg

fullsizeoutput_164c-X3.jpg

fullsizeoutput_164d-X3.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1653-X4.jpg

DSCF7110-X3.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1654-X4.jpg

DSCF7113-X3.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1656-X3.jpg

That's about that! Thank you for checking in 🙂

Val

• Like 64
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Did you leave the prop spinners glossy?

I did, yes. I should probably have knocked it back to a satin finish, but you know when you get near to the end of a build, and each little thing you do seems to break something else? I was at that point 😂😂 so decided to walk away!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Uncle Pete said:

Nice.  Made me want to chuck mine away and have anther crack at it!  "J" was the American bloke's, wasn't it?

It was David Maltby’s aircraft as stated above :)

Thank you all for your kind words!

• Thanks 1

Marvelous build. I love it.

Must keep an eye out for one of these Revell kits.

Would be well pleased if I could get one to look near as good as yours.

:clap:

• Thanks 1

A superb looking Lanc.  That's a terrific paint finish you've achieved.  Good choice of colour for the Upkeep as well.  Did you adjust the kit's dihedral?  I've heard it's a bit lacking on the Revell kit.

• Thanks 1

On 6/1/2018 at 9:27 AM, Meatbox8 said:

A superb looking Lanc.  That's a terrific paint finish you've achieved.  Good choice of colour for the Upkeep as well.  Did you adjust the kit's dihedral?  I've heard it's a bit lacking on the Revell kit.

Thanks! No I didn’t touch the dihedral. It is the week part of the kit and isn’t right. Then again, some pics of a Lanc on the ground shows only a little dihidral so I thought I’d leave it at the risk of making things worse! The upkeep bomb colour took quite a bit of research and to be honest, I’m still not sure! I went for a primer colour in the end which I think is what the Xtradecal sheet called for anyway.

• Like 1

Superbly finished Lanc' you've ended up with, particularly the sharp demarcation between the upper and lower colours. Makes me want to build the Airfix new tool I have (note to self, stop looking at all these great builds on here and get on with some modelling!!)

:goodjob:

Davey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wonderful. Love it. Just give each spinner a quick shot of matt or satin varnish. They're crying out for it. You won't spoil things. Promise! 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Really great finish Val. I helped my boy build one of these a few years ago and I keep looking at it and how better the parts are compared to my Tamiya one. I was searching for lanc builds as there were a tonne at the start of the year when I started mine but they have all gone rather quiet. Seems to be the way with these big birds. 😫  I went back and checked your WIP but as you say the PB nightmare hit it hard. 😕 luckily the RFI doesn’t suffer the same issue. You can be really proud of this one. Btw. How did you do the Exhaust marks?

Johnny.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Thanks 1

Great Lanc, almost tempting me to dig my Hasegawa one off the shelf of doom, almost! Superb build, particularly like the paintwork and weathering. :goodjob:

• Thanks 1

Looks great. You might have just prompted me to kick start my Revell Lanc which is now Lanc shaped but has been sitting dejectedly on the shelf for about a year. 

Pete

• Thanks 1

Thank you all, I really appreciate your kind words! And yes, I’ll knock back the spinners and props when I’ve next got some Matt/satin in the airbrush!

On 7/27/2018 at 4:48 PM, The Spadgent said:

Really great finish Val. I helped my boy build one of these a few years ago and I keep looking at it and how better the parts are compared to my Tamiya one. I was searching for lanc builds as there were a tonne at the start of the year when I started mine but they have all gone rather quiet. Seems to be the way with these big birds. 😫  I went back and checked your WIP but as you say the PB nightmare hit it hard. 😕 luckily the RFI doesn’t suffer the same issue. You can be really proud of this one. Btw. How did you do the Exhaust marks?

Johnny.

Thanks mate, yes a shame about photobucket, it really knocked my enthusiasm for build threads, although I’m back into it now!

The exhaust stains I did with a dark grey, either rubber black or nato black, and super diluted it. I had half a colourcup of airbrush thinners and then a small brush full of the dark grey so it’s basically dirty thinners, and then kept going over the exhaust stain areas, drying it, going over etc until the stain is about right. Then, I 

repeated with a medium grey in exactly the same way! The paint was so diluted that you could hardly see it when you started painting it on, so takes a while!

• Thanks 1