Fokker E.iii 1/144 (I'm sick)

I re-built the wheels anyway lol

I've done the canvas texturing, frame shading and also built a tiny Spandau LMG 08 with ported barrel shroud which was a hell of a task.

Still lots of little details to go on the gun now it's in position.

Starting to look alright.

25oxxmu.jpg

• Like 5

Catching up with this one - I agree with others that you must be mad to work in this scale (and even madder to attempt a strip-down). But you are still producing a first class model. With the wheels I would make one with covers...

You might find it helpful to refer to ww1.aircraftmodels.com - a modeller called Ondra scratch builds in this scale and he has made a Fokker EIII. You might get some useful tips from him. (His models are in the under construction section - not scratch builds on the contents page).

36 minutes ago, pheonix said:

Catching up with this one - I agree with others that you must be mad to work in this scale (and even madder to attempt a strip-down). But you are still producing a first class model. With the wheels I would make one with covers...

You might find it helpful to refer to ww1.aircraftmodels.com - a modeller called Ondra scratch builds in this scale and he has made a Fokker EIII. You might get some useful tips from him. (His models are in the under construction section - not scratch builds on the contents page).

Just found his model, hats off that's good.

I may have to join that forum as I definitely have the bug for WW1 aircraft.

Thank you.

33 minutes ago, ajmm said:

How the dickens did you do that MG??! Amazing. My chosen scale but I’ve never dared attempt spoked wheels! Bravo. 

I used a peice of polyethylene backed aluminium foil from a scalpel blade packet.

I first painted the foil side black polyurethane primer and left to dry well.

I used the tip of a fresh 11p scalpel to push elongated slots in a cooling jacket pattern. I then scraped off the polyethylene layer with a fresh blade so that the holes remain without closing over too much. Then I cut the piece of foil to length and diamater x pi (3.14) and rolled around one of the tiny drill bits I have.

I glued a small piece of 0.3mm kanthal wire into the end for the barrel. 

I didn't attempt to have a hollow bore because that really would get me locked up.

The belt was made from a tiny piece of brass that I used gentle pressure on the snips to make 'bullets'

n9mz7.jpg

In rolling it lost some definition of the ports but certainly much better than the kit part.

I will attempt to a front sight, cocking lever and feed mechanism on other side.

• Like 1

Working on the undercarriage frame tonight. 

I did the spatter of crap from the engine on the cowling underside. 

The wings are also attached, I have not shaded the underside wings/fuselage to keep it lighter in colour and no one will look underneath at this scale when it's based up.

20r0gvc.jpg

• Like 4

Progress has been slow recently, me and the wife have been ill so I've done nothing for a week.

I tried to do some work on it whilst ill but had shaking hands and buggered a few things up.

I managed accidently to strip off my fine shading on the rear fuselage by stupidly mounting it on blu-tac, but no worry I will re-do it. (See pic below for the damage)

Lesson: don't try modelling if you are not 100%

Anyway feeling much better tonight so I did some more work, I'm feeling very enthusiastic to finish it soon.

A few more details and it'll be at the final stage, rigging, which I'm really not looking forward to on this kit due to long thin lines in exposed places.

I am particularly pleased with the compass on the root of the right wing.

o0723l.jpg

Edited by SUB-SAM
  • Like 6

I've rigged the underside and managed to attach those spoked wheels...

Getting close to completion now.

29qcolg.jpg

The rigging is with 0.05mm Kanthal A1 wire which I tempered/dulled with a cigarette lighter prior to use.

To put size into perspective:

23hk65f.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...