Fokker E.iii 1/144 (I'm sick)

After doing the 1/144 Albatros I've got the bug for small scale great war aircraft.

I will be using the Valom kit which seem like a good base but much work needed. There isn't much other choice in this scale either.

Starting with the cockpit...

oqzpsk.jpg

• Like 4

I have primed the main parts now.

I used my 'paint thickness detailing' technique (Don't know if there is a proper term for this) to create the canvas stitching under fuselage and the band seen on the cowling.

1432cxv.jpg

28bha91.jpg

• Like 3

All parts sprayed the base canvas colour.

Aluminium cowling painted and given the special brushed/swirls seen on the E iii

2ev9ahs.jpg

I have decided to do gotthard's LF196, which is unfortunately one with spokes wheels visible that I will have to scratch build. I do love torturing myself.

• Like 6

Did some work around the cockpit, improving on the kit to represent the leather impact protectors. Also putting the decals on tonight.

Mildly disappointed that the wing crosses supplied on the kit decal sheet aren't 100% true to original but close enough for me to not pull them off.

2zswg2g.jpg

If you are thinking it looks quite plain, my plan is to achieve all shading through oil washes as I find pre/post shading with airbrush in 1/144 more trouble than it's worth.

Edited by SUB-SAM
  • Like 5

I'm really really trying to do spoked wheels but struggling, has anyone ever managed this feat before? 

a2y9uc.jpg

Are there any cheats? because I think I've reached the limit of what I can do without employing the skills of a very well trained flea.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SUB-SAM said:

I'm really really trying to do spoked wheels but struggling, has anyone ever managed this feat before? 

Are there any cheats? because I think I've reached the limit of what I can do without employing the skills of a very well trained flea.

No idea if this will work, but got an idea... make a rim out of metal. cut notches around the outside and then spoke the rim with rigging thread. Then glue tyre in two halves on the rim. Or you could saw grooves in the tyre and rig it through the grooves, fill and repeat. 

Either way, I don't think I fancy trying it!

Ooh, how about gluing rigging thread on a circle of clear plastic, with notches on the edge? That would give you something to mount the hub on?

Thanks for the ideas, they have proven to be very helpful.

I initially tried the clear hub idea but it looked very obvious, for this scale I used acetate sheet but it looked more like a window than it did spokes, It's certainly one way of doing it.

I liked the idea of winding onto a circular frame.

Perhaps what I was trying to do with hollowing out the kit wheels and glueing individual spokes was the hardest way of doing it.

So tonight I collated all these ideas and made a separate hub from some 0.65x0.08mm Nichrome ribbon and superglue lengths of 0.05mm nichrome across the hubs, 4 lengths each side of the hub.

Once each side was dry I trimmed the excess with a knife whilst face down.

I then inserted the hub into the painted, hollowed out kit wheel.

After 2 hours of playing about I have made one wheel: 

28sriiw.jpg

It certainly doesn't have the spoke density of the real thing but I'm thinking this will do?

I think maybe the effort to get greater spoke density might be almost invisible to the eye...it looks spoked at a glance.

• Like 2