1/72 Airfix Grumman Martlet Mk IV 888 RNAS 1942

No 888 Naval Air Squadron HMS Formidable  November 1942

Here's one I finished last year. It's the Airfix Grumman Martlet Mk IV in 1/72 scale. This is a great little kit which I would recommend to anyone interested in FAA subjects. Construction was fairly straightforward although the undercarriage is very fragile and easily broken. Other than that there were no major problems although I lost a painted and decalled wheel to the CM and was clearing a space on the shelf of shame when I found it quite by chance on the floor of the children's bedroom.

It was built OOB except for the seat harness which was either Eduard etch from the spares box or made out of masking tape, I can't remember which! It was painted using Humbrol enamels for the Beige Green and EDSG thinned with white spirit while the Dark Slate Grey was Humbrol acrylic thinned with water. Paints were sprayed using a Harder & Steinbeck Evolution and went on very nicely.

Here are a few photos for your enjoment. As usual, all comments are welcome.

Martlet 3

Martlet 1

Martlet 2

Martlet 4

• Like 40

• 2 months later...

Looks terrific.  Good to see that Airfix have delved in to the world of wing folding.  I've always thought Grumman's approach to the problem an amazing feat of engineering.

Cracking little Martlet there. It looks every inch a realistic, in service FAA aircraft. I am loving the way you have represented the camo. Looks pretty good to me. I shall try that mix myself when I build my Martlet!

Terry

• 2 months later...