1/24 Spitfire Vb- 20th July- FINISHED 25/07

Hey chaps 

Here's my offering for the group build. The very wonderful 1/24 Spitfire. A gloriously flash (y) kit. 

s-l400.jpg

I shall be aiming to complete the build in these markings. 

20180530_174120.jpg

A malta spit. Now there's a load of discussion surrounding colours of these spitfires. I'm going for dark earth with extra dark sea grey and an azure blue underside. 

Whether this is historically accurate or not I don't know and to be fair this period allows for substantial artistic licence or so I like to think. 

I'll be pimping her up a bit too with the addition of these lovely bits. 

20180530_174110.jpg

20180530_174156.jpg

20180530_174204.jpg

20180530_174215.jpg

20180530_174223.jpg

I'm also going to have a crack at some proper modelling and try some scratch building along the way. 

And finally here's the mess that I'm hoping turns into a decent build. 

20180530_174321.jpg

Got to love the 1 bag and the thousand pieces rattling around loose. 

Wish me luck. 

Edited by Antb
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, Antb said:

20180530_174321.jpg

Got to love the 1 bag and the thousand pieces rattling around loose. 

Wish me luck. 

Now this is one I think a lot of us will follow closely - no pressure there then eh :winkgrin:

I  love the 'knee' shot :lol:  Seriously though - I hope you have as much fun with this as I did with my MK1A - a childhood dream come true - Good Luck Ant :thumbsup:

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, peterairfix said:

good luck with that one your gonna need it

Oh god. 

10 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Now this is one I think a lot of us will follow closely - no pressure there then eh :winkgrin:

I  love the 'knee' shot :lol:  Seriously though - I hope you have as much fun with this as I did with my MK1A - a childhood dream come true - Good Luck Ant :thumbsup:

Ha ha cheers mate, had to stop it slipping off the sofa. Hoping you wouldn't notice, you eagle eye you 🤣

• Haha 3

It's only fitting that someone should stand up and take one for the team, as building this 1/24th classic within a GB schedule takes quite a bit of courage.  

I agree with Big X - there will be many keen eyes looking on to every post, so good luck and make sure you get a good start come 02 June.

Actually - I think someone building a 1/24th kit deserves a week's grace, what'ya think hosts?

Cheers... Dave (nice choice of scheme as well).   

• Like 4

Excellent choice Ant,

I built this one a while a go and it was challenging in places but generally went together very well for an old kit. My main problem I remember was getting the dihedral on the wings. On my example the large single piece lower wing was warped. This was overcome with excessive clamping and a bit of brute strength. 

Enjoy your build, it will be well worth it.

Cheers Greg 😉

• Like 4

I built one for charity in a week after our little Daughter Died. It was an enjoyable build and as long as you get the some dehidral on it it looks great. I used a metal coat hanger bent to shape as a spar.

Heres a link to it 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234962908-the-one-week-airfix-124-spitfire-charity-buildupdated-the-end-of-the-story/&

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Actually - I think someone building 1/24th kit deserves a week's grace, what'ya think hosts?   

I was just thinking about that but we are nearly ready to start anyway! I think an extension to the end of this GB will hopefully be a foregone conclusion so we can squeeze in the maximum to the gallery. If Matchbox can do it,..... - getting a case built up now....

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

It's only fitting that someone should stand up and take one for the team, as building this 1/24th classic within a GB schedule takes quite a bit of courage.  

I agree with Big X - there will be many keen eyes looking on to every post, so good luck and make sure you get a good start come 02 June.

Thanks mate. Courage indeed. Still haven't cracked the bags open yet, I'm saving it for Saturday but the flash....oh the flash. 

Im hoping folk find the build interesting and that I can give a good build thread to the group build. 

5 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Excellent choice Ant,

I built this one a while a go and it was challenging in places but generally went together very well for an old kit. My main problem I remember was getting the dihedral on the wings. On my example the large single piece lower wing was warped. This was overcome with excessive clamping and a bit of brute strength. 

Enjoy your build, it will be well worth it.

Cheers Greg 😉

Cheers Greg. Appreciate the insight into the wing dihedral too, it's something I shall have a look at when the time comes. If brute strength is needed I'll have a word with the Mrs..... 🤣

4 hours ago, Bonhoff said:

Seem to remember someone fabricating a wing spar to sort the dihedral issue.

Good luck.

IanJ

That sounds interesting Ian, you don't have any idea when this was do you? 

3 hours ago, gunpowder17 said:

I built one for charity in a week after our little Daughter Died. It was an enjoyable build and as long as you get the some dehidral on it it looks great. I used a metal coat hanger bent to shape as a spar.

Heres a link to it 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234962908-the-one-week-airfix-124-spitfire-charity-buildupdated-the-end-of-the-story/&

Thanks gunpowder, I'll have a look at your link and see what tips I can nick 🤣

16 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

I was just thinking about that but we are nearly ready to start anyway! I think an extension to the end of this GB will hopefully be a foregone conclusion so we can squeeze in the maximum to the gallery. If Matchbox can do it,..... - getting a case built up now....

I'm hoping I won't need any longer but having never built anything of this scale and in this state before I've no idea. 

Looking dorward to getting cracking king this weekend guys, really hope I can put a good build together and I love up to expectation. No pressure 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Antb said:

Hey chaps 

Here's my offering for the group build. The very wonderful 1/24 Spitfire. A gloriously flash (y) kit. 

s-l400.jpg

Ooooops. I just had a look at this on Scalemates and the kit started out as a Mk1a and had the dreaded 'new parts' in 2005 to turn it into a Vb. Worth checking if the new parts are just cannons etc. or if fuselage and wings are involved? The more knowledgeable Spitfire experts will let us know.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

Ooooops. I just had a look at this on Scalemates and the kit started out as a Mk1a and had the dreaded 'new parts' in 2005 to turn it into a Vb. Worth checking if the new parts are just cannons etc. or if fuselage and wings are involved? The more knowledgeable Spitfire experts will let us know.

Well I asked before entering and was told it was fine as the original kit dated back to 1970. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

...and this...

This release of the kit has been modified to allow you to build a Mk Vb based on the original Mk 1 parts. You get additional sprues with a new prop, cannons and wing bulges, radiator and oil cooler parts, clipped wings, and various air filters for the "desert" versions.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal8/7701-7800/gal7766-Spitfire-Bacon/00.shtm

...hopefully this clears it up in a positive way :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Antb said:

Well I asked before entering and was told it was fine as the original kit dated back to 1970. 

35 minutes ago, BIG X said:

this link on scalemates shows it is related to the original 1970 version...

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/998426-airfix-a12005-spitfire-mk-vb

...I am guessing the only newer parts would be related to the sand filter and cannons - so very eligible.

27 minutes ago, BIG X said:

...and this...

This release of the kit has been modified to allow you to build a Mk Vb based on the original Mk 1 parts. You get additional sprues with a new prop, cannons and wing bulges, radiator and oil cooler parts, clipped wings, and various air filters for the "desert" versions.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal8/7701-7800/gal7766-Spitfire-Bacon/00.shtm

...hopefully this clears it up in a positive way :thumbsup:

Yes, you are right - sorry for the 'wobble', folks. I just remember the long discussion on 'new parts we had on the 1/48 Mosquito.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

Yes, you are right - sorry for the 'wobble', folks. I just remember the long discussion on 'new parts we had on the 1/48 Mosquito.

Yeah - that was down to me ;)

The "almost 2 mosquito's in one box" boxing of the PR xvi kit....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Yeah - that was down to me ;)

The "almost 2 mosquito's in one box" boxing of the PR xvi kit....

Man that kit was awful. I had the displeasure of building that one. Twas Orrible 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Antb said:

Man that kit was awful. I had the displeasure of building that one. Twas Orrible 

the pr xvi?

I have 3 aifrix mosquitos to build - one the "standard" fb vi, one the nf 30 and the other the pr xvi (which I sold the "new bits" from).  The nf 30 will not be for this GB though as it has new parts...

Edited by Lawzer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lawzer said:

the pr xvi?

I have 3 aifrix mosquitos to build - one the "standard" fb vi, one the nf 30 and the other the pr xvi (which I sold the "new bits" from).  The nf 30 will not be for this GB though as it has new parts...

Yes mate. Built it up as a bomber version though. Wasn't nice to build. Wouldn't build another 

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Antb said:

Yes mate. Built it up as a bomber version though. Wasn't nice to build. Wouldn't build another 

Ahhh yeah - did it not come with a cookie? I'd forgotten about that.....

• Like 2

It did cone with it yes. Needed the bulged bay doors fitting which were ok but they needed cutting open to show the cookie in situ. Easier said than done as the doors were so flimsy it was ridiculous. 

Not only that I remember the wing fitting being awful. And the canopy. Front windows in the nose. Oh and the cockpit. 🤣

Well worth the 25 quid. Not 

• Sad 2

Yeah the plastic of the new parts certainly seemed to be errr....different....

The wing fit and canopy were problematic even doing the fb vi.

anyhoo....

• Like 3