1/24 Spitfire Vb- 20th July- FINISHED 25/07

5 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

you can't bin the 110!!! whats happened to it?

Well. The attachment was never great and it took forever to get it glued in when I was building it. 

The attachment has come loose and part of it has snapped. The bits really thin and can't be glued. 

Its had it unfortunately 

• Sad 2

@Lawzer this is where it's failed mate

Spot the difference. Won't glue. It's had all the pointy bits removed off it tonight and has been donated to a flight around the room from a 4 year old... 

20180722_215042.jpg

Guess I'll just have to do another one. Wahey!!! 

• Haha 4

It was an eduard one I think?

I did a revell 110 last year and it looks like it's the same sort of mounting method (or the parts look similar anyway).   I remember I had to use a LOT of superglue to get them to stay put.....not as bad as the "mounting" points on the monogram 1/48 he111 - 2 almost microscopic sloping surfaces to hold what was a fair bit of weight.  not monogram's finest engineering moment....

I hope the relevant noises were made for the *ahem* test flight 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Antb said:

@Lawzer this is where it's failed mate

Spot the difference. Won't glue. It's had all the pointy bits removed off it tonight and has been donated to a flight around the room from a 4 year old... 

20180722_215042.jpg

Guess I'll just have to do another one. Wahey!!! 

If I ever get round to doing mine I  will go 'wheels up' - the problem is every time I open the box it scares me to death - there are about 15 million parts just in the cockpit alone :lol:

BTW - is that a set of Subbuteo players in the background of this picture... 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Lawzer said:

It was an eduard one I think?

I did a revell 110 last year and it looks like it's the same sort of mounting method (or the parts look similar anyway).   I remember I had to use a LOT of superglue to get them to stay put.....not as bad as the "mounting" points on the monogram 1/48 he111 - 2 almost microscopic sloping surfaces to hold what was a fair bit of weight.  not monogram's finest engineering moment....

I hope the relevant noises were made for the *ahem* test flight 🤣

Yes the eduard 110c mate. Terrible fitting which I'm surprised has lasted this long to be fair. 

And yes, loads of neeeoooowwww ing going off. 😂

6 hours ago, BIG X said:

If I ever get round to doing mine I  will go 'wheels up' - the problem is every time I open the box it scares me to death - there are about 15 million parts just in the cockpit alone :lol:

BTW - is that a set of Subbuteo players in the background of this picture... 

It's a case of diving in. And then regretting that you did..... 

Subbuteo. I wish mate. I'd love to still have all that lying around. They're my Napoleonic French I'm working on on the side. 

• Like 3

I've got an eduard 110 bought on here and yes - a LOT of wee wee bits....think i'll need to build up the karma before i start that one! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lawzer said:

I've got an eduard 110 bought on here and yes - a LOT of wee wee bits....think i'll need to build up the karma before i start that one! 

Don't blame you. 

Sorry for drifting off build. A few bits happening although not a lot. 

The desert foliage tuft things have been despatched and should be here Wednesday meaning the build should be finished and ready for the gallery this weekend. Eek

In the meantime here's a pic of the 500lb bomb. The clear didn't like the salt. So there's no weathering currently it's just olive drab. Ish. 

20180723_195656.jpg

I'm getting a bit of a dry brush on the board tonight so we're nearly there. 

Cheers guys 

🐜

• Like 2

So want to share this with you guys. A quick sneak preview. It's not finished just yet. 

20180723_220638.jpg

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Antb said:

So want to share this with you guys. A quick sneak preview. It's not finished just yet. 

20180723_220638.jpg

Now there is a winner if ever I saw one - I love the shading on the base.  I really must learn how to do a decent base - yours is a work of art in itself.

I can't reach from here - so can you please pat yourself on the back :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cracking build. Have to say I prefer the "unweathered" bomb; I'm guessing that unlike the more fortunate of the airframes, the bombs didn't get many flying hours before departing their carrier. Pat on the back definitely due...

Kirk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BIG X said:

Now there is a winner if ever I saw one - I love the shading on the base.  I really must learn how to do a decent base - yours is a work of art in itself.

I can't reach from here - so can you please pat yourself on the back :thumbsup:

Blimey, cheers mate. 

Ill share some proper photos photos when she's done in the next few days but really there's nothing to it.diferent grades of sand and some dry brushing. 

43 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Cracking build. Have to say I prefer the "unweathered" bomb; I'm guessing that unlike the more fortunate of the airframes, the bombs didn't get many flying hours before departing their carrier. Pat on the back definitely due...

Kirk

Thanks Kirk. I wanted to make the bomb look like it had been stored and affected by the sunlight, alas it was not to be. Never mind, looks ok on the trolley. 

• Like 1

Very well done Ant 😎

I look forward to the final reveal.

It's been a hard road but well worth it in the end.

Cheers Greg 

Edited by GREG DESTEC
  • Like 1

Alright guys. 

The tufts have arrived. Let's get this build completed fully and wait for some sunshine for some proper photos.... Oh wait.... 🤣

20180725_150936.jpg

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Antb said:

Alright guys. 

The tufts have arrived. Let's get this build completed fully and wait for some sunshine for some proper photos.... Oh wait.... 🤣

20180725_150936.jpg

Don't forget what I always say...  LESS IS MORE.

Mind you I may say it - but then never listen to myself :doh:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Don't forget what I always say...  LESS IS MORE.

Mind you I may say it - but then never listen to myself :doh:

Indeed. Alas I don't take my own advice either 😜

• Haha 2

Hi guys 

So we're finished. What seems like a long build but not so long at the same time and after blood sweat tears and quite a bit of Anglo Saxon I'm delighted (but also saddened) to report that the build is complete. 

I've taken a ton of photos trying to capture the essence of what I was trying to achieve and hope I've done a good job. 

I'd like to thank you all for your help and supoort along the way. It's kept me going and helped me push on to the end. 

I've really enjoyed the build. It's my first ever scratch build project and I've loved it. I'm thinking of another airfix 24 kit in the near future. 

Anyway enough waffle here she is. I'll pop some photos in the gallery soon too. 

20180725_163236.jpg

20180725_163240.jpg

20180725_163245.jpg

20180725_163255.jpg

20180725_163306.jpg

20180725_163314.jpg

20180725_163318.jpg

20180725_163335.jpg

20180725_163345.jpg

20180725_163359.jpg

20180725_163420.jpg

20180725_163430.jpg

20180725_163451.jpg

20180725_163456.jpg

20180725_163523.jpg

20180725_163532.jpg

20180725_163558.jpg

20180725_163626.jpg

20180725_163642.jpg

• Like 6

She is looking gorgeous and somewhat 'lethal' in the late afternoon sun - get those engine covers on and I'll take her for spin - OUTSTANDING 11/10

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BIG X said:

She is looking gorgeous and somewhat 'lethal' in the late afternoon sun - get those engine covers on and I'll take her for spin - OUTSTANDING 11/10

Wot he says!!!!

Top notch fella!!  👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What an excellent result Ant - I'm glad that it all came good in the end. 

Great work on the base too.  It's very realistic, particularly when compared to your lawn (mine too :winkgrin:).

Cheers

Cliff

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Don't know how I missed this build but it's turned out blinding!

Must get to look in the GB builds more often! Miss all the good stuff!

What you managed to do with this kit is nowt short of modelling magic! The kits all over the place with misshapen parts, warping, flash that disguised itself as parts and parts disguised as flash. I swear the two half of the fuselage of mine are 4 or 5mm different in size!

Really like the satinish finish as well, may possibly steal that idea;) as you may have guessed I've a stalled 1/24 Spitfire with markings for a certain Malta plane on the shelf of doom!

Excellent stuff, base, bomb et all! Big thumbs up mate!

Geoff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BIG X said:

I'm running out of ways to say thank you mate. But thank you. Again 😁

7 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Wot he says!!!!

Top notch fella!!  👍

Thanks mate 

4 hours ago, CliffB said:

What an excellent result Ant - I'm glad that it all came good in the end. 

Great work on the base too.  It's very realistic, particularly when compared to your lawn (mine too :winkgrin:).

Cheers

Cliff

Thank you cliff. The lawn looks like desert at the moment so blends in nicely 🤣

1 hour ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Brilliant result Ant,

Very well done 🏆

Cheers Greg

Cheers Greg 

28 minutes ago, Bugle07 said:

Don't know how I missed this build but it's turned out blinding!

Must get to look in the GB builds more often! Miss all the good stuff!

What you managed to do with this kit is nowt short of modelling magic! The kits all over the place with misshapen parts, warping, flash that disguised itself as parts and parts disguised as flash. I swear the two half of the fuselage of mine are 4 or 5mm different in size!

Really like the satinish finish as well, may possibly steal that idea;) as you may have guessed I've a stalled 1/24 Spitfire with markings for a certain Malta plane on the shelf of doom!

Excellent stuff, base, bomb et all! Big thumbs up mate!

Geoff

Very kind of you Geoff. It's a frustrating build but it does get easier (ish) when you see things coming together. 

Get it off the shelf and finished. I'd love to see your progress. 

• Like 1