1/24 Spitfire Vb- 20th July- FINISHED 25/07

Brilliant nose cone and props - fantastic 'icing on the cake' - enjoy your weekend mate - looking at this masterpiece you have earned a weekend away :goodjob:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Superb!

4 hours ago, BIG X said:

Brilliant nose cone and props - fantastic 'icing on the cake' - enjoy your weekend mate - looking at this masterpiece you have earned a weekend away :goodjob:

Thanks to you both. 

Just catching up with things whilst in the hotel with a very excited 4 year old who won't sleep 🙄

Have a great weekends modelling Steve and Ian. 

• Like 2

Back from duxford, sun was red hot, the flying was superb as it always is. seeing those birds flying is just brilliant. They had a newly painted spit in desert colours based on a Malta spit so was lovely to see. Didn't take many photos as I'm not one for watching through a lense but will post some pictures tomorrow. 

I always go these things and end up wanting another build. Turns out I have a new obsession, being corsairs, so one will be going onto the birthday list ready for September 🤣

I want to do one in either a FAA scheme or a RNZAF scheme so will have some questions before popping the right one on the list. I want a project having enjoyed this one as much as I have. Cough cough....

• Like 4

Spitfire is looking good.  Thinking maybe of buying one and converting to a Seafire II because of you.

As a constructive critics I think the spinner looks good weathered but I don't think the propellor blades are right.  

From what I understand propellor blades were made of compressed wood, with a thin brass strip on the leading edge.  The paint didn't flake off to leave an aluminium finish maybe a little brass on the leading edge but that is all.  I also think that the propellor blades were highly maintained and any damage repaired very promptly, an unbalanced propeller would not be allowed..

Good luck with the rest of your build..

Edited by Grey Beema
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Good to see another obsessed person like myself. 😉

To be honest I've seen them flying before but never really noticed them before. But yesterday they were fabulous. 

My wife loves them and my son is a big fan of "skipper" from Disney's planes so really should have picked up on them before now. 

48 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

Spitfire is looking good.  Thinking maybe of buying one and converting to a Seafire II because of you.

As a constructive critics I think the spinner looks good weathered but I don't think the propellor blades are right.  

From what I understand propellor blades were made of compressed wood, with a thin brass strip on the leading edge.  The paint didn't flake off to leave an aluminium finish maybe a little brass on the leading edge but that is all.  I also think that the propellor blades were highly maintained and any damage repaired very promptly, an unbalanced propeller would not be allowed..

Loog luck with the rest of your build..

Thanks grey both for the very kind comments and the feedback on the propeller. 

I wasn't quite sure whether it was quite right or not so thank you for your feedback. I will sort it out so there's just a little bit of chipping. 

Appreciate you taking the time to give the feedback it's all helpful. 

Cheers 

• Like 5

Hi chaps, 

time for a proper update update before I crack on with the weekends chores. 

Turns out I didn't take many photos yesterday at all, must have been too busy watching the displays. I hardly even took any from walking the flight line....

heres one i do I want to share. My son loved the shark mouthed mustang, he even thought it was trying to eat the others during the display 🤣

20180714_110056.jpg

so, on with the update of the build. 

After painting, gloss coat, decals and painted markings it was time for a Flory wash. I want to go for a dusty on campaign look to the spitfire as I understand that these spitfires really worked hard in the dry and dusty conditions in Malta. I slapped on a really good amount of Flory sand wash to give me this. 

20180711_155949.jpg

proper dirty. It took some wiping off to get it to a stage that I was happy with but I'm pleased with the outcome. The spit does look dusty which even with care by the groundwork would still haventhave eradicated the dustiness. 

20180712_125741.jpg

20180712_125747.jpg

20180712_125753.jpg

20180712_125816.jpg

the underside was quite tricky as it was difficult to get it looking right. I'm still not sure whether I have or not, will post some more photos showing the underside better at the end. However, one thing that I'm not sure about is the colour of the wheel wells. I haven't been able to find an example of a desert scheme spitfire with its heels down showing the wheel well colour. So I plumped for interior green. If this is different please let me know and I'll amend it. 

20180712_125828.jpg

with the weathering sorted, ish, it was time to work through the list of things to do. I haven't photographed everything as found myself working through stuff and to be fair the updates wouldn't have been the most exciting (I know not many are but still...) 🤣

Propeller. Built and sprayed silver reading for chipping. I decided to use the shorter nose as the reference photograph of EP436 suggests, the longer nose didn't really look right. 

20180713_094149.jpg

yellow tips were painted using Vallejo brushed on, and then Tamiya tape was used to cover this ready for the black. I used some maskol applied using a sponge to give me a random chipping effect, which is probably a bit too much given feedback in posts above, so will tone it down. But this is how I did the chipping. 

20180713_094337.jpg

Spinner was painted using an orange-red rather than a deep red as I wanted it to look sun bleached. This was applied straight over the silver. 

20180713_111740.jpg

with the paint fully hardened it was out with the white tack and removal of the maskol to leave the chipping shown. 

Like @BIG X the moulding of the cockpit door left a let to be desired... this was trimmed, painted and fitted. 

20180712_160220.jpg

wheels were done which proved a bit of a nightmare. The design has you build the wheel hubs, place the horrible rubber tyres on and fit into a disk at the bottom of the undercarriage leg. Problem is nothing fits so it's had to be a case of getting it to fit the best it can using loads of super glue to hold everything in place. 

With th these bits done all that's left is to finish painting the undercarriage covers, paint and install the glazing, and then do the seat belts and install the seat. A Matt coat to tone everything down and then build a display board. Then finished. 

To finish off off a long post (for which I apologise for) here's some better pictures of the spitfire as she sits this morning. I haven't done any more work on the spit as yet but hoping to get some done at some point today once boring adult stuff has been sorted 😩

20180715_094435.jpg

20180715_094441.jpg

20180715_094449.jpg

20180715_094459.jpg

20180715_094511.jpg

20180715_094516.jpg

20180715_094538.jpg

20180715_094547.jpg

20180715_094559.jpg

20180715_094738.jpg

20180715_094819.jpg

20180715_094830.jpg

20180715_094839.jpg

cheers guys 

🐜

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Ventora3300 said:

Wow, looking fantastic. Engine looks well maintained as it should!

Thanks mate. Figured the exhausts wouldn't be so clean 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

This is shaping up to be one of the best build's of this kit I've seen,superb work.

Wow thank you very much indeed. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

This is shaping up to be one of the best build's of this kit I've seen,superb work.

I'll second that - knowing what a nightmare it can be - Ant has turned this into a dream of a build.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

I'll second that - knowing what a nightmare it can be - Ant has turned this into a dream of a build.

You're far too kind Steve. But thank you. 

• Like 3

Love the weathering. A struggle to build anything with that tired old mould, let alone turn out a really nice model. Loved the prop weathering too the first time round but if it's wood, it's wood :(

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3

11 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Love the weathering. An struggle to build anything with that tired old mould, let alone turn out a really nice model. Loved the prop weathering too the first time round but if it's wood, it's wood :(

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian. 

I've toned with the propeller weathering down but have still left a bit along the edges to simulate a touch of wear and tear from the sand etc. 

• Like 3

Disaster has struck right at the last moment. 

Last night I masked the canopies and gave all the pieces a coat of primer. Came to peel off the masks tonight only to find the rear piece missing masks on the inside but covered on primer. 

I'm gutted and could kick myself. 

I'm trying to get the paint off but so far it's not proving successful. 

Does anyone know where I could get a spare rear canopy piece from if all else fails? 😭😭😭

Edited by Antb
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Antb said:

Disaster has struck right at the last moment. 

Last night I masked the canopies and gave all the pieces a poo-poo of primer. Came to peel off the masks tonight only to find the rear piece missing masks on the inside but covered on primer. 

I'm gutted and could kick myself. 

I'm trying to get the paint off but so far it's not proving successful. 

Does anyone know where I could get a spare rear canopy piece from if all else fails? 😭😭😭

OUCH - just read this - show us a photo if poss...

@BIG X here it is when I removed the white tack that I used to hold when spraying 

I'm officially an idiot. After all this time and effort....

20180716_224122.jpg

Edited by Antb
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Antb said:

@BIG X here it is when I removed the white tack that I used to hold when spraying 

I'm officially an idiot. After all this time and effort....

20180716_224122.jpg

could it be 'polished' off - or maybe - as it is quite a 'simpl' part - could we not just bend a piece of clear styrene to shape.  I think this is the same piece that I 'fecked' up and consigned to my 'second build...

bronze_151.jpg

..you could have had mine - but it's now covered in bronze paint.

Don't give up - I AM SURE WE CAN BEAT THIS...

• Like 2

What primer have you used Ant?  I use Alclad primer and have found (to my cost!), that Mr. Color Thinner 400 removes it very easily.  I've just done a quick test here and the thinner doesn't appear to attack clear styrene.

Could be worth a try?  Good luck.

Cliff

• Like 4

8 hours ago, BIG X said:

could it be 'polished' off - or maybe - as it is quite a 'simpl' part - could we not just bend a piece of clear styrene to shape.  I think this is the same piece that I 'fecked' up and consigned to my 'second build...

..you could have had mine - but it's now covered in bronze paint.

Don't give up - I AM SURE WE CAN BEAT THIS...

Hi mate 

thanks for the advice. I should be getting ready for work but the canopy is bugging me. I've taken a light sander to it and it's doing the trick, the only problem is I need to get something to polish it with to try and get it clear. If this doesn't work I'll see if I can find something suitable and bend myself a new one. 

56 minutes ago, CliffB said:

What primer have you used Ant?  I use Alclad primer and have found (to my cost!), that Mr. Color Thinner 400 removes it very easily.  I've just done a quick test here and the thinner doesn't appear to attack clear styrene.

Could be worth a try?  Good luck.

Cliff

Hi cliff, 

i use wilkos primer. Haven't ever used mr color thinners before so I'll keep this in my pocket if I can't get the canopy to buff up properly. Many thanks for taking the time to reply and for the advice. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Aarrrghhh disaster mate!

I know and to make it worse it was my own fault. However the wife might have come up trumps with an email to airfix during my panic stage last night.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Antb said:

However the wife might have come up trumps with an email to airfix during my panic stage last night.

Wow - a real team effort. Most of the rest of us (I mean me) would have been given an 'I told you so....' I was going to suggest thinners to remove the primer with plenty of rubbing but not so much to cause a breakage. Don't worry, you'll fix it. Then a deep breath for the engine framing. Enjoying it. Cheers. Mike.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2