1/24 Spitfire Vb- 20th July- FINISHED 25/07

1 minute ago, Antb said:

Marvellous thank you mate. 

Order placed. 

Those bren carriers look rather nice. 

Thanks Ant - they were a lot of fun to build.

If you ordered direct from Flory don't be surprised if they turn up tomorrow - their service is very good.

I originally ordered a full set of colours and when I opened the box I had 2 of one (can't remember which) and something was missing.  I sent them an email and 2 minutes later they were on the case and the missing one arrived next day.  I saw them at the Huddersfield show earlier this year and stocked up on a few more.

For a general dusty look I airbrush it on with a 0.4mm needle closed really tight and 'waft' it over the model from about 6" away.  I give it several coats - so as not to 'puddle' it.  If I am teaching you to suck eggs - just say so ;)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ratch said:

I don't get on with Flory Washes, preferring Mig Pigments applied in a wash. There's also a Humbrol Sand Wash that sprays well 😉

Cheers ratch. I don't have an airbrush sadly so hairy stick all the way for me. 

I do have some flory washes already and have had no issues thus far.... although bow I've said that 😓😓

10 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Thanks Ant - they were a lot of fun to build.

If you ordered direct from Flory don't be surprised if they turn up tomorrow - their service is very good.

I originally ordered a full set of colours and when I opened the box I had 2 of one (can't remember which) and something was missing.  I sent them an email and 2 minutes later they were on the case and the missing one arrived next day.  I saw them at the Huddersfield show earlier this year and stocked up on a few more.

For a general dusty look I airbrush it on with a 0.4mm needle closed really tight and 'waft' it over the model from about 6" away.  I give it several coats - so as not to 'puddle' it.  If I am teaching you to suck eggs - just say so ;)

Cheers as ever mate. 

Egg sucking? Nah mate. Wouldn't mind even if you were to be honest. As above I don't have an airbrush. I do want one but I'm not sure I could justify having one. Do I do enough to warrant having one? I dunno really. 

If I had one of want a decent one. I'm not in for buying a cheap one and then upgrading seems a bit if a false economy to me. I'd rather go straight in learn how to use it and know it's going to last me a while. In theory. 

're the brens I do a spot of wargaming on the side on 1/56 scale. Can't beat painting vehicles like that's. Mega fun isn't it. 

How's that fire looking? Was up near winter hill earlier this week working didn't look great there to be honest. I know that's a way from you but still nasty business. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Antb said:

You don't have to airbrush it, it performs like a normal wash too 🙂

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Antb said:

I do have some flory washes already and have had no issues thus far.... although bow I've said that 😓😓

Cheers as ever mate. 

Egg sucking? Nah mate. Wouldn't mind even if you were to be honest. As above I don't have an airbrush. I do want one but I'm not sure I could justify having one. Do I do enough to warrant having one? I dunno really. 

If I had one of want a decent one. I'm not in for buying a cheap one and then upgrading seems a bit if a false economy to me. I'd rather go straight in learn how to use it and know it's going to last me a while. In theory. 

're the brens I do a spot of wargaming on the side on 1/56 scale. Can't beat painting vehicles like that's. Mega fun isn't it. 

How's that fire looking? Was up near winter hill earlier this week working didn't look great there to be honest. I know that's a way from you but still nasty business. 

The fire near me simply will not go out - there were at least 4 fire engines up there last night and 2 huge tractors pulling water bowsers - those guys certainly 'earn' their money.  It is slowly heading east and is more towards Dovestones reservoir now - if you know it.

On the airbrush front I wanted a 'good one' too, but worried that all those folk on youtube were just making it 'look' easy.   In the end I rang the guy from Littletools and asked him 'if I come to the Huddersfield show - can I have a go myself'...  He said that would be fine and I bought the H&S Evo.  That was back in early 2017.  If I'm honest I'm still pretty rubbish with it and really use it as a glorified 'rattle can' - but I will tell you what I do like...

Previously using rattle cans - when I needed to 'touch up' the humbrol pot colours were different to their cans.  With the airbrush I can spray and touch up from the same bottle.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BIG X said:

The fire near me simply will not go out - there were at least 4 fire engines up there last night and 2 huge tractors pulling water bowsers - those guys certainly 'earn' their money.  It is slowly heading east and is more towards Dovestones reservoir now - if you know it.

On the airbrush front I wanted a 'good one' too, but worried that all those folk on youtube were just making it 'look' easy.   In the end I rang the guy from Littletools and asked him 'if I come to the Huddersfield show - can I have a go myself'...  He said that would be fine and I bought the H&S Evo.  That was back in early 2017.  If I'm honest I'm still pretty rubbish with it and really use it as a glorified 'rattle can' - but I will tell you what I do like...

Previously using rattle cans - when I needed to 'touch up' the humbrol pot colours were different to their cans.  With the airbrush I can spray and touch up from the same bottle.

Yeh I know dovestones. Nightmare isn't it. You're right though the guys do earn their money which doesn't quite seem enough in this instance. 

I spoke to Paul at a show Milton Keynes way a year or so ago and had a play with the evo. I do like it but my problem is can I justify having one and will I use it enough. Id Love one and that one would be my choice but I'm undecided. While ever I'm undecided I'm not having one 🤔

Awkward aren't I 🤣

• Like 2

Exciting news time. 

Returned from working this evening to find I'd had a delivery of both my azure blue and flory sand wash. 

Looks like I can crack on with getting the spitfire painted in the next few days. 

Looking forward to this. Wish me luck 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Antb said:

Exciting news time. 

Returned from working this evening to find I'd had a delivery of both my azure blue and flory sand wash. 

Looks like I can crack on with getting the spitfire painted in the next few days. 

Looking forward to this. Wish me luck 

As requested - the best of luck is wished...  But seriously - this is turning into another fantastic build - so keep it up mate - you are doing us all proud.

Now - working on a Saturday...  Respect...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BIG X said:

As requested - the best of luck is wished...  But seriously - this is turning into another fantastic build - so keep it up mate - you are doing us all proud.

Now - working on a Saturday...  Respect...

Wasn't by choice mate. We had a show in Cumbria so was a case of needs must I'm afraid. Doesn't happen often thankfully. 

I've cheated a little and got 3 coats of extra dark sea grey on.... So that's the top done 🤣 I couldn't wait. 

• Like 2

Evening chaps, 

warm one tonight isnt it. Jee wizz. 

After arrival of the azure blue blue yesterday it was time for some paint to get slapped on. As you may be aware, I don't have an airbrush so the spitfire is being brush painted. Now, I have shown that I have bought a mask set for the spit I'm depicting but I have a cunning plan for the codes. 

She didn't take long to paint actually and with the heat the paint dried really quickly and allowed me to build up the coats much quicker than normal. 3 coats each of extra dark sea grey and azure blue were what was needed to get complete coverage. On with the photos. 

20180708_103948.jpg

20180708_103958.jpg

20180708_105136.jpg

20180708_105140.jpg

I want to weather the spitfire fire to make it look sun bleached which would be really simple using an airbrush. I had to come up with another idea so mixed some light grey with the extra dark sea grey, a flow improver and some water to make it like a wash and slapped it on the wings. Whilst wet I got some paper towel and dabbed it on thereby trying to repeat a patchy effect. 

20180708_105613.jpg

20180708_105847.jpg

the bumpy bits on the wings is the masking fluid on top of th silver for chipping. 

20180708_110727.jpg

Once the "weathering" had been done it was out with the white tack and I rubbed it over the masking fluid to reveal the silver underneath. Heres the results 

20180708_111223.jpg

20180708_111227.jpg

20180708_111233.jpg

20180708_111238.jpg

pretty happy with that. 

So with that done the spit needed a gloss coat. I've started using wilko spray lacquer which is 4 quid for a large can. It covers well and self levels and give a really good surface on which to apply decals and weathering washes. 

20180708_183037.jpg

20180708_183042.jpg

20180708_183051.jpg

20180708_183109.jpg

20180708_183123.jpg

bit of an issue in that the weathering has disappeared under the gloss but I'm hoping it reappears when matted down. 

I have started decals tonight, the main ones are on, then it's stencils. Once they're done and completely set in place I'll use the masks for the letters and codes which I'll paint on and then on with a sand wash. Love this part of the build it's my favourite as everything starts coming together really nicely. 

Cheers chaps 

🐜

• Like 6

That is some really nice weathering work Ant.

any chance of a photo of the Wilco product - I will need to gloss mine up as a final coat and this sounds really good and cost effective of course.

Brilliant work AND you are winning too :yahoo:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BIG X said:

That is some really nice weathering work Ant.

any chance of a photo of the Wilco product - I will need to gloss mine up as a final coat and this sounds really good and cost effective of course.

Brilliant work AND you are winning too :yahoo:

Thanks as always mate. 

I'll drop a photo in a little while once I've taken a very sleepy (but refusing to go) 4 year old to bed. 

No nursery tomorrow so he thinks he can stay up all night 🤣

• Like 1

@BIG X apologies for the delay steve here's the varnish I use. 4 quid a tin and it's lovely, the primers really good too. 

IMG_1044.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Loads of progress last night. 

Squadron codes and serial number is on and the top and sides have had a gloss coat. 

Will post photos later this evening 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Antb said:

Loads of progress last night. 

Squadron codes and serial number is on and the top and sides have had a gloss coat. 

Will post photos later this evening 

I am looking forward to that...

• Like 2

Hi gents 

on with the update. As usual very picture heavy so apologies in advance. 

After applying the roundels and fin flashes it was time to crack open the mask set for the codes and serial number. These are the montex mask set normally used when painting with airbrushes. However, I did things differently with not having one. 

It was on with the masks for the codes. 

20180709_184242.jpg

these weren't that easy to apply as they aren't overly sticky and don't seem to stick down too well to the surface. Also, they pull out of shape really easily so I had to be really careful not to stretch them too much. 

As an occasional Wargamer I've painted several German tanks camouflage using a piece of sponge dabbed in some paint and couldn't see why this technique couldn't work for these masks. Painting the codes in wouldn't have worked as the paint would have gone on too thick and would have left ridges along the edges. 

20180709_184349.jpg

Sponge was dabbed in the slightly watered down paint, excess dabbed off onto some kitchen towel to leave slightly dry and then pressed onto the masks. 

20180709_184710.jpg

Three coats were needed to get a nice even coverage and when masks removed this was the result. 

20180709_190844.jpg

A touch of clean up needed with some thinned down extra dark sea grey but not too bad overall. The paint dried really smooth and looks great. Heres some more pics. 

20180709_190940.jpg

20180709_191803.jpg

Same process with the serial code masks, these were even fiddlier being really thin. 

20180709_213744.jpg

20180709_214713.jpg

20180709_214721.jpg

and lastly an over view. Underside next 

20180709_215719.jpg

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Looking at the result you've achieved with a hairy stick i don't think you need an airbrush!! 👍

Thank you mate. 

Cheers as always mate 

In no particular order....

Add the gun sight 

Tail wheel

Undercarriage 

Flaps

Exhausts 

Cockpit door 

Glazing 

Aerial

Light behind aerial 

Propeller

Pitot 

Seat and belts 

Wipe off the sand wash and Matt coat. 

Then it's on with the display stand and finished. 

So not much really. He says 😂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Antb said:

Cheers as always mate 

In no particular order....

Add the gun sight 

Tail wheel

Undercarriage 

Flaps

Exhausts 

Cockpit door 

Glazing 

Aerial

Light behind aerial 

Propeller

Pitot 

Seat and belts 

Wipe off the sand wash and Matt coat. 

Then it's on with the display stand and finished. 

So not much really. He says 😂

Wow - I am a great one for lists - but sometimes when you do them for a model build it can be a bit disconcerting - that should keep you busy for at least another couple of weeks.

KEEP IT UP...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

Wow - I am a great one for lists - but sometimes when you do them for a model build it can be a bit disconcerting - that should keep you busy for at least another couple of weeks.

KEEP IT UP...

I shall do my best 😁

• Like 3

Afternoon guys 

I've had a day off work today as we're off to flying legends tomorrow and travelling down when the wife gets home from work in an hour or so, so got loads done on the spitfire. Just wanted to share the below as we're nearly done. 

I will ill post full images when I get back over the weekend but for now here she is. What do you guys think? 

20180713_131112.jpg

20180713_133740.jpg

20180713_133755.jpg

have a great weekend fellas. 

🐜

• Like 6