1/24 Spitfire Vb- 20th July- FINISHED 25/07

Hi all, 

8 days without an update, bet you've all been going crazy awaiting the next instalment. 🤣 Then again, maybe not. 

So, what's been happening since the last update. Well, quite a bit family and work wise and some modelling. I've managed to get a few hours in here and there and work is being done. I don't really feel like I'm making much progress though to be honest. 

My last post was this "I was always of the easy build mentality but I am really enjoying this one. Didn't think I would but I am". Famous last words. Man this build is frustrating. 

At at the risk of rambling on again, let me share some actual progress. 

I was was going to tackle the seat belts but to be quite honest I haven't been able to get in the mood to Give them a bash so I haven't. I've concentrated on the the wings and getting them ready for fitting to the fuselage. Think I've bitten off more than I can chew but I'll let you guys be the judge as to whether I have, or not. 

I started with the cannons. These poorly moulded, bent, no way of attaching to the inner wing. 

20180626_190944.jpg

See the hole under the cannon? No fitment for that whatsoever. The front of the cannon didn't even fit into the O ring and to top if off, the wing wouldn't fit together top and bottom parts with the cannon in situ. I soon made the decision not to add the cannons. 

I decided I would model the cannon bays open however this plan wouldn't bear fruit. Before I came to the latter conclusion I removed the fitment for the cannon. 

20180627_082000.jpg

The machine guns are nicely moulded and they did have the fitment point, but only one in the middle. These would be fitted to be modelled as being in position so got glued in. However, these would be removed later in the build for Reasons to become clear. 

@BIG X shared photos of his 1/24 1a the other day specifically the moulding of the gun ports. This one had the same issue which is yet to be tackled. 

20180627_175030.jpg

In amongst the carnage of the guns this happened 

20180627_175447.jpg

The centre got painted so did the radio? Box which would sit behind the pilots seat. You can see in this photo the machine guns glued in place. 

Thoughts turned to the wheel wells. The is absolutely bob all detail from the kit in this area and you can see right through the wing through the wells. It's poor. Got my plastic strip out, cut It down and moulded it to fit into the wheel wells to block the view through but also to make the wells look like proper spitfire wells. 

20180627_181327.jpg

i glued a bit clamped it and then finished the rest off once it had dried to make sure it stayed put. 

Heres both of the wells halfway through 

20180627_181332.jpg

whilst waiting for this to dry, I got some plastic strip cut it down and glued it in place in the well bay roof. 

20180627_181336.jpg

Once everything was properly dry the excess plastic was trimmed, sanded and a small amount of filler used to hide some gaps where the clamping hadn't been able to reach due to the shape of the wells. I was left with this. 

20180628_211725.jpg

20180628_211731.jpg

20180628_212511.jpg

is it 100% accurate. No. Is it neat and tidy and the best work ever? Nope. Is it better than what was there before? I think so. Not too bad to say I've never done anything like this before. 

And so it was on to the gun ports. 

I really wanted to have these empty and to line the cuttings with plasticard to make them like proper gun bays but hit a problem I hadn't considered. The strengtheners for the droopy wings need to run right through the gun bays to allow the proper strength. So it was out with the already attached machine guns and on with the gun bay covers. 

What at an absolute pain in the backside these are. Urgh they are horrid. At the moment because of them I'm losing patience with the build. I've had an hour tonight and got fed up. I just can't get motivated to carry on with issue after issue. 

I know now I will at some point but progress feels slow and it's one step forward and two back. 

For the record here's where I'm u to as of tonight and where she will sit until I can find the go to carry on. 

20180629_213932.jpg

The gun bay covers are either too short or too long. If too long you can trim some off where it seems to be catching and it makes no difference. They don't sit flat, they Protrude. Some sink in needing a bit of plasticard to in fill. It's just bloomin ridiculous. I think it's going to be a case of it will do just so I can move on with the build. 

In in other news and on a lighter note, nipped to the LMS with SWMBO and my little boy for the strengthener for the wings. My some ended up with 3 zvezda disney planes snap together kits but I got this as a belated Father's Day gift

20180629_213946.jpg

fell in love with the one they have in Cosford and wanted one ever since. It was there on the shelf calling my name. I know I could have got it cheaper online but I'd rather support my local shop. Only one problem. I don't have an airbrush for the mottling. Guess I'm going to have to be good and get my chores done without being asked to make sure I qualify for one. 😂😂

anyway chaps, thanks for sticking with me if you've read this far. 

As as always I appreciate any comments or feedback you guys want to chuck my way. 

Take care all

🐜

• Like 8

Keep going mate,

You will get there in the end. I took my time with mine and spent about six months on and off building it. You are doing it in a GB in real time. All looks good to me. Focus on the end result and I know it will all be worth it. Good work so far. 

All the best Greg 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Keep going mate,

You will get there in the end. I took my time with mine and spent about six months on and off building it. You are doing it in a GB in real time. All looks good to me. Focus on the end result and I know it will all be worth it. Good work so far. 

All the best Greg 😉

Thanks Greg. 

Nice work on the wheel wells Ant - you have really done a smashing job on them.  There really are SO MANY issues with this AGED kit that it can be a 'soul destroyer'.  I have to admit that the only reason I am 'having a play' with mine is that I don't want to throw it in the bin.  If I had any sense I would - but common sense and me don't often walk hand in hand.

I am going to have a play with the MG covers today - I remember from my last one that they simply don't fit properly - so I'm just going to 'play around' with a few ideas.  I'm getting the internal fuselage 'spacers' glued in at the moment - like the engine fire wall / IP / seat back - in attempt to get the right 'shape' for the body.

Keep the faith - I think you will end up with a smashing model - but it will fight you all the way.

FULL RESPECT to all those 10 year olds from the 1970's that managed to produce top results with the tools and materials available - back in the day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the positive vibes steve 😁

Came me down this morning took one look at last nights progress and found myself attaching the undercarriage legs and glueing the wings together. They're currently drying at the moment taped together and I'm hoping the glue takes. It's warm here already this morning so hope it didn't go off too quickly. 

The kits certainly a test which, if I'm honest, I didn't know it would be this much of one. But I'll crack on and get it done the best I can. 

• Like 5

Evening all, 

ive managed to get over myself and sort my mood out from the other day. An hour here and there and I've been able to make some real progress. 

Wing time. 

20180630_102727.jpg

The wing nearer the camera needed propping up as it sat as it sat quite low in comparison to the other one. Hence the weight of the glue bottle. 

Heres where it was was at once everything had set properyl

20180701_201909.jpg

And here's it is a bit closer up

20180701_201914.jpg

wasnt too sure how to resolve it in the best way so I cut out a bit of plasticard and placed it in the gap using some filler on the edges to blend it in. 

There were a few other issues too, the below and I didn't photograph the massive step where the rear of the wing section meets the fuselage. Think it must have been me rather than the kit this time. 

20180701_201956.jpg

20180701_202003.jpg

The massive step filled and sanded

20180702_212121.jpg

i spent half an hour before work this morning applying filler to everywhere that needed it, along the wing leading edges, fuselage step etc and spent a good couple of hours sanding tonight whilst watching the football. Looked like it had snowed the dust was everywhere. 

Rudder and stabilisers have have been glued together and are currently clamped drying. 

This is is where we are this evening where I've had enough for today. 

20180702_204200.jpg

and lastly the dehidral I've ended up with. Not too bad 

20180702_212111.jpg

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Antb said:

Evening all, 

ive managed to get over myself and sort my mood out from the other day. An hour here and there and I've been able to make some real progress. 

Wing time. 

The wing nearer the camera needed propping up as it sat as it sat quite low in comparison to the other one. Hence the weight of the glue bottle. 

Heres where it was was at once everything had set properyl

And here's it is a bit closer up

wasnt too sure how to resolve it in the best way so I cut out a bit of plasticard and placed it in the gap using some filler on the edges to blend it in. 

There were a few other issues too, the below and I didn't photograph the massive step where the rear of the wing section meets the fuselage. Think it must have been me rather than the kit this time. 

The massive step filled and sanded

i spent half an hour before work this morning applying filler to everywhere that needed it, along the wing leading edges, fuselage step etc and spent a good couple of hours sanding tonight whilst watching the football. Looked like it had snowed the dust was everywhere. 

Rudder and stabilisers have have been glued together and are currently clamped drying. 

This is is where we are this evening where I've had enough for today. 

and lastly the dehidral I've ended up with. Not too bad 

BRILLIANT WORK ANT I knew you would crack it.  I'm updating my build at the moment and I'm not far behind you on progress - but way behind you on quality - OUTSTANDING.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@BIG X Wow. Huge thanks for the very kind words mate. 

Feel as though I'm back on track a little. Still loads to get done but in itching to get painted and stickered up asap. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Antb said:

@BIG X Wow. Huge thanks for the very kind words mate. 

Feel as though I'm back on track a little. Still loads to get done but in itching to get painted and stickered up asap. 

I know what you mean - I was just about to say there isn't too much more on mine - when I remembered - the rear stabilizers / canopy sections / pitot / aerial / radiators / air intakes / engine top cover - etc... etc...

We will get there and have 2 'very different' representations of the same basic kit.

Yours is looking really good - Steve

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lawzer said:

I am SOOOOO glad I sold my 1/24 spitfire......

Why would that be? 🤔🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Lawzer said:

I am SOOOOO glad I sold my 1/24 spitfire......

In a word - Lawzer - you are a big furry German Shepperd of a coward - oh that's 11 words...:oops: :lol:

• Haha 4

It would have driven me mad!

when i got back into modelling one of the first kits i bought was the spitfire - being an adult i didn't have to worry too much about having no pocket money left for sweeties and pannini football cards 😁  Although it's pretty obvious to me now that there are issues common to all these kits and some "unique" ones if i built it all these problems would have been down to me and as per my usual attitude in life it would have got flung against a wall and i would have sulked for months 😂

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

It would have driven me mad!

when i got back into modelling one of the first kits i bought was the spitfire - being an adult i didn't have to worry too much about having no pocket money left for sweeties and pannini football cards 😁  Although it's pretty obvious to me now that there are issues common to all these kits and some "unique" ones if i built it all these problems would have been down to me and as per my usual attitude in life it would have got flung against a wall and i would have sulked for months 😂

Nothing wrong with a good sulk at all! In fact it's in the instructions for this kit that it's expected to happen..... 

I had done a bit if research on this kit bit what I found doesn't represent just how tough the kit is. It is really tough and I wasn't expecting it. 

Once the issues are overcome it does look a nice kit though it's just the issues take some of the shine off of it. 

I'm glad I'm giving it s go though but wouldn't rush back for another kit of this magnitude any time soon. 

A good experience none the less and I'm learning different things so it's all good. Atkeast that's what I'm telling myself 🤣

• Like 5

Goooood afternoon chaps, 

anyone care to to join in with a little rain dance I'm planning? Never known anything like it. British weathers rubbish they say.....

since my last update I've been working away at the spitfire and am pleased to report that progress has gone well, very well in fact, and the build really has moved on in leaps and bounds. 

There havent been many many trials along the way which has helped. So, on with some progress. 

Vertical stabilisers got glued together, flash sanded away and fitted to the fuselage. The gaps were ginormous but out with the filler and jobs a fish. 

20180704_144422.jpg

20180704_150656.jpg

20180704_144428.jpg

oh, almost forgot. The control surfaces were short of the stabiliser front section so had to have them in the down position to try And mask it. I'm getting lazy with the build a bit and couldn't be bothered with the thought of extending them to the correct length. 

Next up, was the air intakes and the underneath bits and pieces. These bits were for the radiator. 

20180704_144416.jpg

20180704_145035.jpg

just look at those really well placed ejector marks. I mean, come on. 

This got got sorted out, built up and glued to the flat par underneath. Guess what. Didn't fit. It's a flat piece being glued to a flat piece for goodness sake. Nicked a few pegs which got it sorted. 

20180704_160041.jpg

20180704_160843.jpg

now, remember me saying in my disclaimer right at the start of the build that this wouldn't be an accurate build. I know it hasn't been all the way through but I can live with that. I wanted to add the filter under the chin as I think it looks pretty cool and I want the spitfire to look a bit different. 

I knew new that there would be an issue with it not fitting correctly as sadly the filter is built in 2 sections and then glued onto the existing fuselage section. It would make far more sense for the filter to be glued directly onto the frame and act as the whole lot. Would have been easier and looked a lot better. 

A test fit showed ths this was what I had to work with which gave me a dilemma. Did I start chopping And sanding to make it fit and risk making a hash of it or was there another to way. 

20180704_214407.jpg

20180704_214413.jpg

i found that if I squeezed the filter and clamped it down then I didn't need to hack at anything. So that's what I did. And got this. 

20180704_221606.jpg

loads better. I could deal with the gap at the rear with no problem. This was the front 

20180704_221619.jpg

again I can deal with that. 

Heres what the spit looked like after all this had been done.  Lovely 😁

20180704_221644.jpg

onto guns and gun ports both above and under sides. 

I decided to leave the cannon port port open but empty and started to lone this with some plastic to box it in. Heres the start just glued in place and trimmed when dry. 

20180704_224937.jpg

the kits cannons were poor so invested in some master barrels instead. They are stunning. Built up they look fantastic. They took some fitting as had to open up the gun ports quite a bit but it didn't take too long and they got fitted. 

20180704_230324.jpg

unbelievably we were nearly ready for primer! 

I havent added the cockpit glazing yet as yet as waiting to do this later on in the build so masked over the cockpit and used masking fluid for the engine cavity, engine wall frames and wiring. 

20180704_224947.jpg

and here she sits. 

20180705_104608.jpg

20180705_104612.jpg

20180705_104621.jpg

20180705_104639.jpg

wait a second....what's that smell? Is it.... yes it is.... primer 😃😃

shes had had a blast of Wilkos finest on the upper surfaces and will soon be getting one underneath. 

More to follow later. 

🐜

• Like 5

you've fairly made progress!!👍

and since you are not talking in tongues yet I'm guessing you've managed to keep your sanity 😆

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Brilliant progress Ant and way way neater than my 'artistic' interpretation is going.  I just came on to do a brief update on mine - when I noticed your update.  My rear stabilizers are ready - but not on yet - neither are the radiator bits underneath - I'll go and update my build thread now.  Catch you later and JOLLY WELL DONE THAT CHAP!!!! :thumbsup: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

you've fairly made progress!!👍

and since you are not talking in tongues yet I'm guessing you've managed to keep your sanity 😆

Just about mate 😂 to be honest there are some really dire bits but I'm back.enjoying it again so it's all good. 

19 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Brilliant progress Ant and way way neater than my 'artistic' interpretation is going.  I just came on to do a brief update on mine - when I noticed your update.  My rear stabilizers are ready - but not on yet - neither are the radiator bits underneath - I'll go and update my build thread now.  Catch you later and JOLLY WELL DONE THAT CHAP!!!! :thumbsup: 

Not As neat? I don't know about that mate your build is pretty clean from what I've seen this far. 

• Like 2

Hi guys 

I'm back. The primer has dried, there were a few issues to sort out and a second coat of primer applied. 

Surprsingly there were were very few issues that needed to be sorted which given th nature of the kit is surprising. On with the pictures. 

20180705_154629.jpg

20180705_154633.jpg

20180705_154650.jpg

20180705_154701.jpg

20180705_154712.jpg

20180705_154744.jpg

20180705_154759.jpg

and all tidied up. She's looking rather splendid. 

20180705_193252.jpg

20180705_193302.jpg

20180705_193307.jpg

and a touch of silver sprayed along the wing root and leading edges ready for a touch of chipping later on. 

20180705_195009.jpg

20180705_195018.jpg

what do you mean it's barely noticeable? 🤣

I had biught mr hobby intermediate below for the undersurfaces but in reflection it's a little dark so I've ordered some Vallejo azure. It won't be here until next week so not much more will be done really until it arrives. I could paint the upper surfaces but I'm working away from tomorrow until late Saturday night and family day Sunday so may as well just wait. 

Ive made a list of things to do and surprisingly there's not much more left really. 

Things are looking up and up and I feel like serious progress has been made. Can I finish the build by mid August? I reckon so. Fingers crossed. 

Anyway guys take care 

🐜

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Excellent! 

I reckon you have broken the pain barrier with this build. Enjoy the next bits.

Cheers Greg 

Thanks mate 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Antb said:

Can I finish the build by mid August? I reckon so. Fingers crossed. 

You can do that easily Ant - you have beat this kit fair and square.  I just hope you enjoy the pleasure of looking at it again and again in the not so distant future.

I love my first 1/24 Airfix Spit - it makes me smile like an idiot every time I look at it - I hope yours does too.

Brilliant work - now let's get some camo on... Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BIG X said:

You can do that easily Ant - you have beat this kit fair and square.  I just hope you enjoy the pleasure of looking at it again and again in the not so distant future.

I love my first 1/24 Airfix Spit - it makes me smile like an idiot every time I look at it - I hope yours does too.

Brilliant work - now let's get some camo on... Steve

Thanks as always mate. 

I'm toying with the idea of making a display base for it. Going to be a big one but think it will add to the visual impact. 

No camo for this one I'm afraid. Extra dark sea grey uppers and azure underneath. I do need a sand wash for it though to give it that malta feeling. Don't suppose you have any recommendations do you mate? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Antb said:

Thanks as always mate. 

I'm toying with the idea of making a display base for it. Going to be a big one but think it will add to the visual impact. 

No camo for this one I'm afraid. Extra dark sea grey uppers and azure underneath. I do need a sand wash for it though to give it that malta feeling. Don't suppose you have any recommendations do you mate? 

Morning Ant - for the Mediterranean look I would try a Flory wash - they actually do one called sand.  I use it on my 1/72 armour...

IMG_1791.jpg 

I use it neat as 'northern european dust' - for the med and that 'sun kissed' look I would mix it in a shot glass with some Flory 'Light'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

Morning Ant - for the Mediterranean look I would try a Flory wash - they actually do one called sand.  I use it on my 1/72 armour...

IMG_1791.jpg 

I use it neat as 'northern european dust' - for the med and that 'sun kissed' look I would mix it in a shot glass with some Flory 'Light'.

Marvellous thank you mate. 

Order placed. 

Those bren carriers look rather nice. 

• Like 2