1/24 Spitfire Vb- 20th July- FINISHED 25/07

38 minutes ago, MarkSH said:

Keep with it you're making a grand job of it so far.

Cheers very much. 

So ive had half an hour at the old girl today, not much time but hoping to get some done later today. Won't get any done tomorrow as subjecting the family to Cosford seeing as its Father's Day I get the choice of where we're going. Much to the delight of everyone 🤣🤣🤣🤣

the fire wall wall has been installed behind the engine and I've had another test fit of the engine. Doesn't fit. 

Ive trimmed off some of the framing around the engine and it still doesn't fit properly. The exhaust stacks will be wonky when they're fitted due to the way that the engine sits at the moment and I'm really considering putting the panels on and not showing the engine off. Having said that I've out some work into that and the fire wall and not sure I want that to go to waste. 

Last thing ink I want is for the whole front end to look a mess. 

Im not sure what to do so going to give it some thought. 

• Like 3

Sometimes it is best to walk away - just for a day or so - but don't leave it too long - or becomes difficult to get going again - at least in my experience.

Enjoy Cosford and to all of you that are...

HAPPY FATHERS DAY :partytime:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Antb said:

I've out some work into that and the fire wall and not sure I want that to go to waste. 

Could you make some kind of frame to display it next to the finished model ? 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Could you make some kind of frame to display it next to the finished model ? 

I've been thinking this but not sure how i would be able to make it work as wouldn't be able to attach the propeller or the spinner. 

Thought about something along these lines. But not quite the full diorama. Image shown for information only from http://spitfiresite.com/

IMG_0928.jpg

• Like 2

When i built my Airfix 1/24 P-51D i didnt use the merlin. I wound up making a plastic plate with a hole drilled into it. I then used two diameters of brass tubing. One as a shaft in the plane, the other slightly smaller one as a prop shaft mounted in the prop/spinner. It worked quite well until my daughters 75 lb black lab used the mustang as a toy. 🤬 I was able to fix the plane but had to glue the prop as the shafts broke off internally. 

Dennis

• Sad 3

3 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

When i built my Airfix 1/24 P-51D i didnt use the merlin. I wound up making a plastic plate with a hole drilled into it. I then used two diameters of brass tubing. One as a shaft in the plane, the other slightly smaller one as a prop shaft mounted in the prop/spinner. It worked quite well until my daughters 75 lb black lab used the mustang as a toy. 🤬 I was able to fix the plane but had to glue the prop as the shafts broke off internally. 

Dennis

Oh man, that's devastating. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Antb said:

I've been thinking this but not sure how i would be able to make it work as wouldn't be able to attach the propeller or the spinner. 

Thought about something along these lines. But not quite the full diorama. Image shown for information only from http://spitfiresite.com/

IMG_0928.jpg

ace photo :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

@BIG X great isn't it. There's a trimmed down version in the spitfire Haynes manual. Not as good and hides loads of what's going on. 

My my brain is now working overtime as to how to progress the build. 

Again borrowed from the internet but with a little work quite achieveable. It's whether I could make it look decent or not given the little bit of detail I'd add. It wouldn't be 100% accurate but good enough. Ish. 

This is is a xvi but gives an idea 

IMG_0929.jpg

IMG_0930.jpg

decisions decisions. 

• Like 2

Well that's very 'ambitious' - but given the quality of your engine I think you could easily pull it off.  Now the question is...

Do you really fancy this idea over a straight build - or are you contemplating it because of the engine fit...

If it is the latter then I would persevere / if it is the former then you need to crack on with what is likely to be a very impressive diorama - but a lot of extra work.

Sleep on it and don't let it spoil your Cosford trip.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Antb said:

Cheers very much. 

So ive had half an hour at the old girl today, not much time but hoping to get some done later today. Won't get any done tomorrow as subjecting the family to Cosford seeing as its Father's Day I get the choice of where we're going. Much to the delight of everyone 🤣🤣🤣🤣

the fire wall wall has been installed behind the engine and I've had another test fit of the engine. Doesn't fit. 

Ive trimmed off some of the framing around the engine and it still doesn't fit properly. The exhaust stacks will be wonky when they're fitted due to the way that the engine sits at the moment and I'm really considering putting the panels on and not showing the engine off. Having said that I've out some work into that and the fire wall and not sure I want that to go to waste. 

Last thing ink I want is for the whole front end to look a mess. 

Im not sure what to do so going to give it some thought. 

I came to this stage when I was building mine. I spent some time on the engine and had hoped to have the covers removable to show off the engine. It wasn't to be as like yourself I could not get the rather vague connecting parts on the engine bearer to align. In the end in left it out and buttoned up all the covers. It can be done mate.

You have done sterling work on this build.  Keep it going and finish the job, and you will feel a great deal of satisfaction completing your Spitfire.

All the best Greg 😉

Edited by GREG DESTEC
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, BIG X said:

Well that's very 'ambitious' - but given the quality of your engine I think you could easily pull it off.  Now the question is...

Do you really fancy this idea over a straight build - or are you contemplating it because of the engine fit...

If it is the latter then I would persevere / if it is the former then you need to crack on with what is likely to be a very impressive diorama - but a lot of extra work.

Sleep on it and don't let it spoil your Cosford trip.

Ambitious indeed which for me is very unusual. 🤣. I've had a further thought and it goes a little like this. 

The engine fits fine if the framing isn't present as it's this that doesn't allow the engine to sit right. So, if I can remove the framing and just drop the engine in then all should be OK and I don't lose any detail. Also, this will allow me to keep the propeller and spinner on the aircraft. 

If if this is a really bad idea please let me know! 

In in other news, Cosford was great. Have never been before and it's was quite decent. Too many jets and not enough props though ha ha. Spent most of the day in the war in the air section amongst the first and Second World War aircraft. 

Ive taken some photos, will post them up if anyone's interested? 

5 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

I came to this stage when I was building mine. I spent some time on the engine and had hoped to have the covers removable to show off the engine. It wasn't to be as like yourself I could not get the rather vague connecting parts on the engine bearer to align. In the end in left it out and buttoned up all the covers. It can be done mate.

You have done sterling work on this build.  Keep it going and finish the job, and you will feel a great deal of satisfaction completing your Spitfire.

All the best Greg 😉

Great, thank you for the kind words. 

Edited by Antb
  • Like 2

So, I've realised that what I've said might not make any sense so here's what I mean in picture format. 

This is the MK1 spit that was at Cosford today and the engine covers were off! Hussar!!! 

The actual framing on a proper spit spit is really thin and nothing like that on the kit. So I'm planning on removing the whole frame, adding the engine on the engine mounts. I will add the cowling cover at the top to give it some extra strength and may even replace the framing once the engine is in. Would this work? 

Heres the pictures, do they make sense? 

20180617_152148.jpg

20180617_124111.jpg

20180617_184540.jpg

20180617_184547.jpg

• Like 4

That all makes perfect sense Ant.  How about chopping them off - getting the engine in - thinning them down - sticking them 'on' the engine when it is in situ...

I believe there is a known issue with those 'V' pieces not fitting properly - but I can't remember what the issue was - I think I just 'forced' mine in.

Glad to hear you had a great day at Cosford - I've been laying a path :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Good luck mate! 

From experience this bit was a bit of a mind bender trying to fit the engine as Airfix intended. So I salute your efforts in fixing it in situ. 

Go for it 😨

Best wishes Greg 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Antb said:

Thanks @BIG X @GREG DESTEC @Corsairfoxfouruncle

I think the best way forward is to cut the frame off as is. Fit the engine and glue in place but then cut the frame using thin strips of plastic card. 

Should work. Hopefully. 

:thumbsup: Go For it!!!!!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, BIG X said:

:thumbsup: Go For it!!!!!

I'm on it. 

Wont get much, if anything done over the next 3 or 4 days so it's going to have to wait until nearer the end of the week. I seem to have a busy social life all of a sudden. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Antb said:

I'm on it. 

Wont get much, if anything done over the next 3 or 4 days so it's going to have to wait until nearer the end of the week. I seem to have a busy social life all of a sudden. 

Social life - what's one of those?  🤣

• Haha 3

56 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Social life - what's one of those?  🤣

Just starting to find out myself mate 😁

• Haha 1

Hi all, 

progress SS has been slow this week due to my little boys birthday, a work night out and family stuff but have made a little progress I thought I'd share with you all. 

So, in my last update I was wondering what to do about the engine and getting it to fit was proving tricky. Following last weekends visit to Cosford I had an idea and this happened. 

The horrible thick framing got chopped off. 

20180618_213521.jpg

i installed the engine mounts on either side and everything unsurprisingly fit so much better. 

The instructions on s have you installing the cradle to the engine mount but if you do this it doesn't reach the engine mount on the other side but what it does do is pull the engine mount inwards and it just doesn't fit properly. So I left it out. 

20180618_221441.jpg

the fuselage at this point was just taped together but that was about to change.... it was time to glue the beast together. Tape and pegs were generously used as the fit was, well, tricky. 

20180618_221445.jpg

20180618_221506.jpg

This was left for 24 hours to make sure everything was set. There were some areas where the glue hadn't quite taken but not many and so extra glue was used and reclamped. 

There are hardly any locating lugs for the fuselage to go together and the moulding on both halves didn't quite match up so there were a few steps evident. All in not too bad really given the age of the kit. 

This is is what we had once all glue had set. 

20180621_073605.jpg

20180621_073614.jpg

20180621_073624.jpg

and just look at the fit of the tail. 

20180621_073646.jpg

Im not too concerned about this area under the engine, I'm fitting the filter so this will be hidden. If I wasn't I'd be panicking somewhat. 

20180621_073628.jpg

engine mount supports got painted and a practice fit of the engine. Looks alright 

20180621_133556.jpg

as you can see I applied some tape along the seam lines and added some filler, when this had dried sanded with a few sanding sticks and painted with some red to see what work was needed. Didn't turn out too bad. 

20180621_184053.jpg

the above taken after a little more filler was applied. 

Ive also started adding some detailing to the engine mounts. My photos from Cosford of the spitfire there showed some wiring running the engine mounts so I thought I'd add a bit. Heres the initial stages. 

20180621_184059.jpg

Putting this off but I really need to get the belts done and the seat in before I attach the wings. Never done fabric belts before so a little scared 🤣 Heres the seat and a picture of the belts, just because..... 

20180618_222032.jpg

20180618_222008.jpg

and that's where I'm at as of tonight. 

Steady progress. Is it perfect. Nope. Is it ok. I guess so. 

Happy modelling chaps 

🐜

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Absolute top job!

i must say i'm beginning to worry with the quality of all the builds in the gb compared to mines! 😄

Keep it up fella! 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

That is AMAZING PROGRESS - and a lot trickier than some old 1959 church - ;)  It is looking really good - welcome to the 'I built that Spitfire' club - lots of fun - in a weird kind of way...

...but what modelling is really all about I suppose - craftsmanship - not just 'assembly' as so many modern kits are. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Absolute top job!

i must say i'm beginning to worry with the quality of all the builds in the gb compared to mines! 😄

Keep it up fella! 👍

Thanks mate. 

Your  mosquito build is great. Looking forward to the 109 too 😁

11 minutes ago, BIG X said:

That is AMAZING PROGRESS - and a lot trickier than some old 1959 church - ;)  It is looking really good - welcome to the 'I built that Spitfire' club - lots of fun - in a weird kind of way...

...but what modelling is really all about I suppose - craftsmanship - not just 'assembly' as so many modern kits are. :thumbsup:

Cheers Steve. 

I was always of the easy build mentality but I am really enjoying this one. Didn't think I would but I am. 

It gives a sense of achievement.

• Like 3