1/24 Spitfire Vb- 20th July- FINISHED 25/07

51 minutes ago, chrisrope said:

I only took a couple of snaps of it. 

1/24 Spitfire

1/24 Spitfire

Slots need cutting in the upper and lower wing so the spar can pass through. I seem to remember the flat centre section is 50mm wide with 6 degrees of angle to pull the lower wing up. I made a paper template using a ruler and protractor and the transferred it to the plasticard. 

The outer bracing is just more thick plasticard well glued to the outer sections to hopefully hold them up. 

If I get chance, I’ll try and draw the template again to give you the rough idea 

Thank you that's great. Please don't go too much trouble. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Picture2.jpg

Love this steve, cant believe I haven't  seen this before? Put the new phrase on the back and winner! 🤣🤣🤣

I reckon you could shift these these in the hundreds. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Antb said:

Love this steve, cant believe I haven't  seen this before? Put the new phrase on the back and winner! 🤣🤣🤣

They are the immortal words of Mrs X - she knows how to put a man in his place :blush:

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Antb said:

Mrs lawzer does some business in printing tshirts......

We could maybe take pre-orders 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lawzer said:

Mrs lawzer does some business in printing tshirts......

We could maybe take pre-orders 😁

Britmodeller t shirts. Yes!!! 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

Is there any space for the essential pre-curser !!!Oh, for GOODNESS SAKE!!!

Steve will correct me if I'm wrong but I think that was how it came about in the first place?  🤣

• Haha 1

Good evening guys 

hope you've all enjoyed the sunshine today. Apologies if it's rained or miserable where you are, it's been glorious here. 

Since the the last update I've started work on the cockpit and yet again experienced some issues. This kit is definitely an issue kit throughout which is a shame but nothing that, so far, I haven't been able to sort out. 

Theres some fabulous guides online and "the anatomy of a spitfire cockpit" website is an absolute gold mine for information. See here if you haven't seen it before, it's awesome. http://spitfiresite.com/2010/07/anatomy-of-spitfire-cockpit.html

using this image I've been able to add some detail into the bits I've done so far. Again, it's not entirely accurate, it's just simply a representation and I think it looks OK. I'm quite enjoying this adding detail to a build thing, having never done it before it's making me want to do more. 

Before i I digress any further here's the fabulous image

IMG_0820.jpg

right, onto the kit and the work I've done. 

Starting with the instrument panel, this is what I was faced with. See the missing part on the right hand side? Bu**er.....

20180608_215625.jpg

i couldn't leave this the way it was so out with the plasticard, cut a small strip and glued on. 

20180608_221953.jpg

after that had set, it was sanded down and that seemed to resolve the problem quite nicely. 

Lookimg at the imstrument panel panel provided on the kit there was quite a lot of detail missing, it wasn't bad but given the bug I've got for adding something extra I couldn't leave it the way that it was. So, again using the picture of the actual instrument panel I added a few bits. 

20180609_000243.jpg

not entirely accurate but once painted and glued in place it should look ok. Not the piece at the bottom right hand corner, this was stuck onto a round piece of plastic strip and sanded down. 

Now, I made a bit of a book with the kit in that I bought the airscale IP upgrade not realising it was just a decal. I wish I'd spent a bit more and got the PE panel which is superb. I'm not overly happy with the decal if I'm honest and may yet revert back to the kit clear back and the kit decals. We'll see how that goes. 

Next up was the cockpit "floor". I know it doesn't really have a floor but this part here needed some work. 

20180608_230048.jpg

it was out with the round plastic strip to make a few upgrades. Unfortunately, the strip I had wasn't wide enough so I had to improvise somewhat. I cut two strips to length, cut these in half, and glued them in place. The halves didn't cover the part entirely and so some filler was required. 

20180608_232236.jpg

much better and looks the part I reckon. 

Next up, pedals. The kits ones are pants. They have no detail whatsoever and some thought was required as t how I would represent the threading on the pedals themselves, the top and the attachment for these. The wife makes bows in her spare time and had some ribbon lying around that was "corded". I trimmed some off, used some super glue and stuck in place. 

Its a a bit messy but once painted it should be a good enough representation. Notwithstanding that actually when in place they probably won't be seen at all. Plastic and was also added to the outside edges to represent the fastenings. 

20180608_231335.jpg

20180608_231344.jpg

20180608_232221.jpg

looks a right old mess in the photos but I've trimmed them down and it's not too bad. 

Last couple of bits you will will be pleased to know, apologies for waffling on. 

Two of the only only bits of aftermarket for the spitfire in this scale are the control stick and seat. 

Heres the control stick from the kit and the aftermarket version. No comparison....

20180609_113726.jpg

and last but not least, a new seat. Look at the size and quality of the kit seat! What is a bit disappointing is that the aftermarket seat doesn't have the flare holder fitted. Out with the saw, lopped off from the kit seat. Holes made bigger with a drill bit, cut down as it was massive and glued on into position. 

20180609_115201.jpg

And here we are with the flare holder attached. 

20180609_120601.jpg

20180609_120608.jpg

with the exception of the seat I have painted some of the bits up, they're not yet complete hence the lack of photos. Hoping they will be added in the next few days. 

As always id be grateful for any feedback or advice that anyone can offer. 

Sorry for going on, yet again, but I'm rather pleased as to how this is all going so far. 

One final note, I've pre ordered one of the new wing nut wings kits with the figures included. Never done a First World War aircraft before so it should be fun. Did someone say rigging? Oh......

🐜

• Like 5

Brilliant progress Ant - you have really knocked that IP into shape - very impressed.  I am also in awe of anyone with the skill to remove the flair rack intact - :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Brilliant progress Ant - you have really knocked that IP into shape - very impressed.  I am also in awe of anyone with the skill to remove the flair rack intact - :thumbsup:

Cheers mate. 

It was actually quite easy. I was surprised how easy it came away. The trickiest bit was holding it to trim it down a little afterwards. 

No injuries though unlike what I've read about @Lawzer and his unfortunate day today. OUCH. 

Edited by Antb
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Loving the scratch building and additions even to the AM parts, kit issues or not I think this is going to be a really class model when complete. :like:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MarkSH said:

Loving the scratch building and additions even to the AM parts, kit issues or not I think this is going to be a really class model when complete. :like:

Thank you. Appreciate the comments. 

Done a few bits today despite the heat, just getting my son to bed then it's on with the cockpit detailing. Looking forward to this bit very much. 

• Like 2

Good evening all, 

it it feels like ages since I last updated the build but actually it isn't that long at all. 

Ive somehow managed to get quite a lot of the build done recently I haven't taken many photos though as got engrossed in the build and forgot. 

The update isnt isn't the most fluid so for that I apologise. Also, another disclaimer, I appreciate that the work I've done isn't thecleanest or the best in the world but it's my first attempt and I'm happy with it. And, of course, some of it will be hidden once the fuselage is joined anyway 🤣🤣🤣🤣

So, on with the update. 

The first job job was to attach the armour for the pilot that sat at the back of the seat. Unfortunately, the huge size difference between the seats meant that the armour plate was far too big and needed trimming to size. After measuring (ish) the piece was cut down to size, plastic strip added to fill in and this was sanded flat. 

In in hindsight the plastic strip wasn't the best idea in the world but you live and learn. 

20180610_101630.jpg

cut and joined 

20180610_171957.jpg

the seat was painted in my home brew red, the armour painted and attached to the seat. After doing all this and looking at my reference I realised the armour plate wasn't big enough. 😡😡😡. I've left it as is and I'll live with it as it is. 

20180612_210511.jpg

oh I drilled three holes in the bottom of the seat too. Not sure why they are there but they are on my reference pictures so they got done 😜

20180612_210522.jpg

now it was time for the fun stuff, detailing the cockpit. 

This is is what I was dealing with straight out of the kit. 

20180610_194945.jpg

heres where I got carried away and didn't take photos as I went. Another boob, I glued in the bulk heads and instrument panel simply to ensure all the wiring didn't encroach where they sat. Then realised I needed to undercoat my work but couldn't 😢

Heres the work I did. 

20180611_084533.jpg

20180611_084538.jpg

20180611_084547.jpg

20180611_084601.jpg

not the most accurate but I had fun and it busies the cockpit up a bit. 

Time for paint, note that this is still wip shades and stuff still required. 

20180612_210431.jpg

20180612_210438.jpg

20180612_210450.jpg

A note on the airscale IP. I'm really disappointed with them. I don't think they're worth the money and wish I had stuck with the kit ones. Maybe it's my work but the decal just doesn't cut it for me. 

Im still working on the other side of the cockpit, there isn't as much detail there but here is the outcome. 

20180612_191748.jpg

20180612_211058.jpg

20180612_211104.jpg

20180612_211109.jpg

still even more of a work in progress but getting there. 

When this is done it's onto the belts. 

Cheers for looking this far down if you have, any honest feedback is more then welcome. 

Cheers all 

🐜

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This is a rough sketch of the spar I made. 

Spar

I’m going from memory that the centre section is 50mm, best to measure. I cut it out and transferred to plasticard and glued it in as strong as I could. 

There may may be better ways of doing it but it’s worked for me

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, chrisrope said:

This is a rough sketch of the spar I made. 

Spar

I’m going from memory that the centre section is 50mm, best to measure. I cut it out and transferred to plasticard and glued it in as strong as I could. 

There may may be better ways of doing it but it’s worked for me

That's wonderful and very kind of you Chris. Thank you very much 

• Like 3

Morning all, 

havent done much over over the past few days but having a quick play this morning as it's nearly time to get the fuselage buttoned up. Taping it all together and adding the seat, I'm a bit unsure as to whether the height of the seat is OK or not. 

Id be grateful if you guys could give me some opinions. It does look a little on the low side but the references I'm using do show the spits seat to be fairly low but I can't help but think this one is doing the limbo. 

Ive tried to show the height as well as I can but apologies there not much clearer it's quite a difficult shot. 

20180616_092631.jpg

20180616_092652.jpg

man, the cockpit "floor" needs extending further back to under the seat. 

Losing a bit of patience with this kit 😡

• Like 1

Morning Ant - I hope this will be of some help...  As a guide to how high the seat frame sits against the back of the fuselage - here is a shot of mine at that stage.  Unfortunately it is from above but the arrow points to a cross member.  If my memory serves me right then there is a notch on the back of the seat frame that it sits 'on' and a hole in the fuselage that it sits 'in'.

mk1.jpg

you can also see 'fresh air' where the cockpit floor goes - I just painted the inside of the main wing section cockpit green. 

• Like 2

I just had a look at the 2 spitfires in my little air force and on both thecheadrest "frame" is level with thecfuselage (as per steve's pics).

keep the faith! It's fairly coming along! 👍

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Morning Ant - I hope this will be of some help...  As a guide to how high the seat frame sits against the back of the fuselage - here is a shot of mine at that stage.  Unfortunately it is from above but the arrow points to a cross member.  If my memory serves me right then there is a notch on the back of the seat frame that it sits 'on' and a hole in the fuselage that it sits 'in'.

mk1.jpg

you can also see 'fresh air' where the cockpit floor goes - I just painted the inside of the main wing section cockpit green. 

Cheers Steve. The kit seat does slot in but I've used aftermarket and think this is the problem. 

I think the frame section is too low but I followed the kit one. Hmmm.... looks like I'm going to have to cut it off and try and attach properly. 

30 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

I just had a look at the 2 spitfires in my little air force and on both thecheadrest "frame" is level with thecfuselage (as per steve's pics).

keep the faith! It's fairly coming along! 👍

Thanks mate. 

• Like 1

Hi Ant - another quick pic if it helps - please ignore the dust...

IMG_2119.jpg

on mine the back plate sits at the same level as the canopy runners.

You'll get there - keep the faith - your inner 10yr old will squeeze it in somehow.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Hi Ant - another quick pic if it helps - please ignore the dust...

IMG_2119.jpg

on mine the back plate sits at the same level as the canopy runners.

You'll get there - keep the faith - your inner 10yr old will squeeze it in somehow.

That's great Steve thanks mate. 

I've hacked the resin support off and glued it to the seat. That's currently drying so when it has it will make it easier for me to get the right level. 

Appreciate your help with this. 

Im A nightmare 

• Like 3