1/24 Spitfire Vb- 20th July- FINISHED 25/07

6 minutes ago, BIG X said:

...my biggest problem in the past has been 'nipping home' - just for a tinker - whilst I should be working.  I am endeavouring to get out of this naughty habit - but it is 'hard'.  A number of people at work have suggested I set up a bench at work - seriously...

Haahahaaa......don't tell anyone but I have been known to do some small scale painting/decalling and priming at work during my *ahem* lunch break.....🤫

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Antb said:

Dangerous ain't it? I shouldn't do it but the engine was just staring at me daring me to spray it. So i gave in.... 

Would have been rude to have not done it seeing as though it insisted. 

Indeed - it would certainly not have been cricket not to have done it!!! ;)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Haahahaaa......don't tell anyone but I have been known to do some small scale painting/decalling and priming at work during my *ahem* lunch break.....🤫

Working from homes the best. 😉

Like now. I'm really busy....

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Antb said:

Working from homes the best. 😉

Like now. I'm really busy....

For goodness sake, don’t tell everybody 🤫

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, MarkSH said:

For goodness sake, don’t tell everybody 🤫

With proper work. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, BIG X said:

A number of people at work have suggested I set up a bench at work - seriously...

Sadly For a Number of years I worked as a Night watchmen at warehouse’s and empty office buildings. I actually had a work station that traveled with me. I could load it with appropriate paints, glues, what have you, and the “modèle du jour.” In between walking my rounds and watching monitors i was able to work. 

Dennis

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Sadly For a Number of years I worked as a Night watchmen at warehouse’s and empty office buildings. I actually had a work station that traveled with me. I could load it with appropriate paints, glues, what have you, and the “modèle du jour.” In between walking my rounds and watching monitors i was able to work. 

Dennis

Now that sounds like a proper job 😁

• Like 3

Good evening all, 

its been quite a busy modelling time today. 

This morning the engine got primed and throughout the course of the day 3 coats of gloss black were applied over the engine. Tonight the wiring I added and some other bits were picked out in silver and bronze, some because that's the colour I've found they were in my references but a couple to break up the monotony of the black. 

Again, not entirely accurate but a representation that I'm hoping looks ok? I'd be grateful for honest feedback on my work with this. Having never added cables etc before I'm quite pleased. 

Oh, the silver drybrushing looks quite harsh in the photos, it isn't that bad in real life it's quite subtle giving an indication of slight wear but not overly. 

Anyway, cockpit next. 😁

20180605_220458.jpg

20180605_220442.jpg

20180605_220437.jpg

20180605_220428.jpg

20180605_220417.jpg

20180605_220408.jpg

20180605_220401.jpg

• Like 8

Well to my eye it looks brilliant :clap2:

I would do some dry testing now with both sides of the fuselage.  am guessing you will find the bottom of the left hand side of the body is WAY TOO THICK and pushes the back of the engine around.  This thickness was located on the inside of the underside of the left shell where it mates with the front of the bottom wing.  Does that make sense...

Yours may be better - but I spent hours carving away at what was a very tough bit of plastic.

TOP MARKS ANT - GREAT ENGINE :goodjob:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Well to my eye it looks brilliant :clap2:

I would do some dry testing now with both sides of the fuselage.  am guessing you will find the bottom of the left hand side of the body is WAY TOO THICK and pushes the back of the engine around.  This thickness was located on the inside of the underside of the left shell where it mates with the front of the bottom wing.  Does that make sense...

Yours may be better - but I spent hours carving away at what was a very tough bit of plastic.

TOP MARKS ANT - GREAT ENGINE :goodjob:

Thanks for the advice Steve. 

Think I understand what you mean. I'll have a look in the next day or two and see what I can work out. 

Although I'm sure the engine will just slide in with no work 🤔🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Ant,

Your additional detailing is a good improvement on the basic engine block. It will look good through the removable cowlings. Are you going to finish the model with all or only some of the covers off? 

Great progress 😊

Cheers Greg

Edited by GREG DESTEC
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Hi Ant,

Your additional detailing is a good improvement on the basic engine block. It will look good through the removable cowlings. Are you going to finish the model with all or only some of the covers off? 

Great progress 😊

Cheers Greg

Thanks greg. 

The plan is to leave the entire engine exposed. I've got a feeling the panels won't fit very well....🤣

10 minutes ago, MarkSH said:

I think you've got the dry brushing nigh on perfect. It looks right to me.

Cheers mark. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Dennis

liking the sound of that Dennis!!! 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Antb said:

@BIG X Steve did you mean these bits mate? 

20180606_193538.jpg

Yep if I remember rightly.  Am I right in saying that the one you are pointing at is much thicker than the one on the other side... 

edit - - the one you are not pointing at is thicker....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Super thanks mate. Yes it does weirdly.

edit. The one I was pointing at was thicker I've been sanding it down and then had an eek moment and wanted to check it was right...

Edited by Antb
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve been doing similar with mine. Easy little jobs that cost nothing but go some way to improving it.

Wheel wells are relatively simple to do but improve it a lot 

1/24 Spitfire

1/24 Spitfire

Rudimentary wing spar set at 6 degrees. I used the thickest plasticard I had, clamped it in place and flooded with Tamiya Extra Thin

1/24 Spitfire

I also ‘braced ‘ the outer sections to hopefully stop them drooping 

36931918693_9b8358ea3c_b.jpg36891778694_d57e901775_b.jpg

Only dry fitted upper wings in this older picture once glued they came up a bit more :)

Lastly, I left the engine out to get a much better fit of the cowlings but glued the reduction gear into the fuselage so the prop can be fitted. 

Vulcan3

Currently awaiting me getting round to painting the green 

1/24 Spitfire

It is old but good fun with a bit of care and forethought 

• Like 6

Evening chaps 

Right so this evening has involved sanding and test fitting the engine. I've spend probably an hour in total and there wasn't much cursing 🤣

Good news is I've managed to get it to this stage. The engine fits! 

20180606_211517.jpg

20180606_211524.jpg

20180606_211537.jpg

The frame that goes over the engine and front don't meet. The very front can be clamped and glued with no problem the frame I think I'm going to cut off and replace with some plastic strip when the time comes. 

20180606_211528.jpg

I had to remove a tonne of plastic to get it in. Here's the damage. 

20180606_211619.jpg

See the split. I went all the way through the plastic to get the required gap. 

20180606_211623.jpg

20180606_211631.jpg

20180606_211642.jpg

And the last photo tonight here's a picture of the beast. Man she's massive!!! 

20180606_211650.jpg

Next up the cockpit. 

I've got some real good reference material for the pit so can't wait to get cracking and seeing what detail I can add in. 

🐜

• Like 8

@chrisrope that looks stunning. Thanks for sharing. 

The wing spar and bracing looks interesting would you mind sharing a few closer photos if you have then at All? Don't worry if not. 

• Like 2

Hey Ant - look on the bright side - at least you knew you hadn't done something wrong.  It is definitely a fault with the kit - but when I made mine I didn't even know the forum existed - so I was working blind.

There is more fun to come - so I'll keep an eye on things and if I can help - I will try to jump in.

Keep up the good work mate - Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Hey Ant - look on the bright side - at least you knew you hadn't done something wrong.  It is definitely a fault with the kit - but when I made mine I didn't even know the forum existed - so I was working blind.

There is more fun to come - so I'll keep an eye on things and if I can help - I will try to jump in.

Keep up the good work mate - Steve

That would be great steve thank you. Thanks for your help so far it really is appreciated 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Antb said:

That would be great steve thank you. Thanks for your help so far it really is appreciated 

I don't think you will need much help - you are way more competent a modeller than me - but if anyone can learn from my mistakes - it will have made them worthwhile...

TEAM BRITMODELLER - We will not be beaten :grouphug: - well... not often :lol: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BIG X said:

TEAM BRITMODELLER - We will not be beaten :grouphug: - well... not often :lol: 

This needs a t shirt 🤣

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Antb said:

@chrisrope that looks stunning. Thanks for sharing. 

The wing spar and bracing looks interesting would you mind sharing a few closer photos if you have then at All? Don't worry if not. 

I only took a couple of snaps of it. 

1/24 Spitfire

1/24 Spitfire

Slots need cutting in the upper and lower wing so the spar can pass through. I seem to remember the flat centre section is 50mm wide with 6 degrees of angle to pull the lower wing up. I made a paper template using a ruler and protractor and the transferred it to the plasticard. 

The outer bracing is just more thick plasticard well glued to the outer sections to hopefully hold them up. 

If I get chance, I’ll try and draw the template again to give you the rough idea 

• Like 4