1/24 Spitfire Vb- 20th July- FINISHED 25/07

4 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Wow - a real team effort. Most of the rest of us (I mean me) would have been given an 'I told you so....' I was going to suggest thinners to remove the primer with plenty of rubbing but not so much to cause a breakage. Don't worry, you'll fix it. Then a deep breath for the engine framing. Enjoying it. Cheers. Mike.

Thank you Mike 

Some good news. Airfix have confirmed they have spares so I'm now 6 quid lighter. But hopefully the rear glazing will be amongst it otherwise I'm going to have another strop 😜

I'm lucky really in that SWMBO supports the hobby. 

4 hours ago, Ratch said:

Have you tried removing it with a cocktail stick?

I have. It's stuck fast and won't budge. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On ‎17‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 17:14, Antb said:

Some good news. Airfix have confirmed they have spares so I'm now 6 quid lighter. But hopefully the rear glazing will be amongst it otherwise I'm going to have another strop 😜

I'm lucky really in that SWMBO supports the hobby. 

I have. It's stuck fast and won't budge. 

I've only just caught up on this - FANTASTIC NEWS - hopefully.  SWMBO is the hero of this build - what a lady - can we vote for her at the end of the GB - SHE IS A WINNER ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, BIG X said:

I've only just caught up on this - FANTASTIC NEWS - hopefully.  SWMBO is the hero of this build - what a lady - can we vote for her at the end of the GB - SHE IS A WINNER ;)

🤣 I'm so glad she can't read this. I'd never live it down 🙄

Apart from glazing and a Matt coat the spits finished. I'm debating whether I get the display board done before popping in the gallery. 

What do you think? 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Antb said:

Apart from glazing and a Matt coat the spits finished. I'm debating whether I get the display board done before popping in the gallery. 

What do you think? 

That will finish it off nicely - rough, dusty airstrip?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

That will finish it off nicely - rough, dusty airstrip?

That's the sort of thing I'm thinking. I'm wanting to find some barrels etc but 1/24 are hard to come by. I'm wondering whether the Tamiya 1/35 would look OK. 

I think i have a plan. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Antb said:

What do you think? 

I think a display board is an absolute must for this build - with the open engine it needs a 'sense of place' - if that makes sense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

I think a display board is an absolute must for this build - with the open engine it needs a 'sense of place' - if that makes sense.

Absolutely does mate. 

• Like 3

It's an awesome sight. 

Sadly the canopy I painted up has a few spots of primer and scratches that I can't get rid of. So she's going to have the wrong canopy on but quite frankly I can live with it. 

Does anyone have an idea whether the 1/35 scale jerry and oil cans would look OK? I'm keen to add some into the display board which is now looking more like a diorama with what I have planned 

• Like 2

Hi guys 

With my excitement in dealing with the canopy issue I've neglected to update the build progress despite the fact that things have been done. Here is that update. 

As as we know the canopy went wrong and thanks to Airfix, and the mrs (not neccassarily in that order mind) thing she got sorted today. But for now back to the start. 

With th the majority of the build done it was time to finish off the last little bits. First up was fitting the windscreen. I've since discovered that I've fitted the wrong one, this one being for the earlier Mk but for the love of god I couldn't get the correct one to fit. It just wouldn't happen. The fit wasn't bad, all things considered, but some filler was needed. 

20180717_090359.jpg

20180717_091017.jpg

You will notice in the picture above that the seat belts were done. I didn't take any photos of these as they were difficult and frustrating and I just didn't have the time or inclination to actually take any photos. So here they are in situ. They look great. 

20180717_201403.jpg

20180717_201411.jpg

20180717_201418.jpg

I popped the canopy on just to see what everything looked like. 

20180717_203954.jpg

Finishing off the front windscreen it was time to fit the mirror. Couldn't find it anywhere until I spotted this absolute mess....

20180719_183852.jpg

20180719_183857.jpg

this was trimmed to size being really careful not to cut the mirror as it was difficult to see, this was glued onto the windscreen and painted grey. Need to paint the actual mirror part itself. 

As i I posted earlier the canopy piece arrived today. I haven't painted it, and don't think I will as the main canopy sits over the top and it's not really seen anyway. This was glued only really quickly. I'm glad I threaded the belts through the back and onto the airframe internals. 

20180719_184151.jpg

20180719_184241.jpg

i do have to say he work I did on the internals in the cockpit look quite nice. They add some much needed interest. 

All that's left now is to fit the canopy and Matt everything down and she's done. But we're not there yet. On with the board she's going to be displayed on. 

Ive done a bit of googling and found some really nice images of the types of airfields the spit would have been at. I'm not going to accurately reproduce the airfield in any way but hope to have a good representation of what the ground might have been like. 

I dug around the shed and found some boarding I bought ages ago to make a section of a wargaming table. Marked out to 35 x 38 cms and chopped to size. 

20180719_192148.jpg

Touch of filler to add some variation and this is now drying. When done sand will applied and then will get painted with some additions being made. I'm painting up the cowling and the fuselage panels to have them on display at the front giving it a servicing kind of look. There won't be any figures on it though. 

20180719_194312.jpg

sothats where I'm at. 

The build seems to have gone gone really quickly since I had a wobble in the sticky patch. I'm loving it though, never knew modelling could be this much fun. 

Im proud as to what I've achieved having never done any scratch building or attempted a kit like this before. 24 th scale is awesome.... mosquito anyone? 🤣🤣

cheers guys 

🐜

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lawzer said:

Outstanding sir!

you might find the 1/24 mosquito a dissapointment as from what i've read it fits together 😁

🤣 I've heard a few good things about the kit. Problem is where on earth would it go once done? 

And thanks for the kind comments mate 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hi Ant,  I've just caught up again - so that's what the rear view mirror looks like - I couldn't find it either :lol:

Brilliant work - looking forward to the base now.

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just caught up as well, a really great build of an absolute nightmare of a kit. I really like the finish on the model it has a nice sheen to it, sometimes I feel that we over 'matt' things which can look as unrealistic as a gloss finish, to my eye this looks like a hard working aircraft with layers of differing levels of dust, grease, grime, oil, etc... excellent :like:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BIG X said:

Hi Ant,  I've just caught up again - so that's what the rear view mirror looks like - I couldn't find it either :lol:

Brilliant work - looking forward to the base now.

Steve

Thanks as always mate. 

It just doesn't look like it should does it? Horrible moulding. 

Hoping to get some sand on the base over the course of the weekend. Just hope my son doesn't realise it's some of his play sand.... 🤣

4 hours ago, MarkSH said:

I just caught up as well, a really great build of an absolute nightmare of a kit. I really like the finish on the model it has a nice sheen to it, sometimes I feel that we over 'matt' things which can look as unrealistic as a gloss finish, to my eye this looks like a hard working aircraft with layers of differing levels of dust, grease, grime, oil, etc... excellent :like:

Thanks Mark. 

I haven't sealed the wash in with any varnish as it went straight over yhe gloss. I might leave the spitfire as it is. Thanks for the idea. 

• Like 3

Apologies for being an anorak but does the cockpit door/hatch still need one of those red escape crowbars fitted? They keep popping up on the restored aircraft I see articles on. Maybe it's hiding amongst the flash - or maybe this Mk had it elsewhere?

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

Apologies for being an anorak but does the cockpit door/hatch still need one of those red escape crowbars fitted? They keep popping up on the restored aircraft I see articles on. Maybe it's hiding amongst the flash - or maybe this Mk had it elsewhere?

No need for apologies. You make a good point. 

My my understanding is that the red crowbar is a health and safety, and modern, thing so it's easily found in an emergency. I believe the wartime ones were silver. I do need to add one on so thanks for the pointer 

• Like 3

Hi guys 

I almost forgot. I need to add the bomb mount for the 500lb bomb and make up the bomb itself. 

So not quite done yet. 

The base is drying nicely it's had more PVA applied to seal the layers in and I've ordered some shrubbery to add in. Fingers crossed it should work out just nicely. 

Have a good modelling day if that's your plan today 

🐜

• Like 3

Hi guys 

today has been a bit of a surprising day. I'm getting carried away with the base build and finding things to add on. It all started with the 500lb bomb...

first off off the bomb rack location was marked out by dabbing the fittings into paint and touching it onto the fuselage position. This left two nice imprints where the holes should be drilled. Holes were drilled, bomb rack fitted and painted azure. 

20180721_180703.jpg

20180721_181103.jpg

20180721_181107.jpg

whilst searching for colours of the bomb and the banding I came across this image (I don't know where the copyright sits so can remove if needed. I'm just posting for information). I was going to lay the bomb on the base but I had a new plan. 

IMG_1105.jpg

i could knock that bomb trolley up. So out with the plastic and scouring Mrs Bs button stash I had what I needed to build the trolley. I've no idea where this scratch building confidence has come from but I love it! 

20180721_190544.jpg

Half hour an hour later I had this 

20180721_192723.jpg

20180721_192729.jpg

20180721_192737.jpg

it measures 8cm x 2cm. The bomb is 6cm long and fits really well. 

Oh, nearly forgot. The bomb was painted an is currently sat like a roast potato getting weathered 

20180721_194139.jpg

id be grateful for feedback on this chaps if you would be so kind. Or unkind I don't mind 🤣

🐜

• Like 4

NOW - That looks like you have been having 'fun' - good on yer Ant.  Fun is certainly the name of the game - especially after all the problems this build has caused.

Payback is brilliant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, BIG X said:

NOW - That looks like you have been having 'fun' - good on yer Ant.  Fun is certainly the name of the game - especially after all the problems this build has caused.

Payback is brilliant.

At the risk if sounding like a broken record thank you again mate. 

I'm loving it. Will be a shame to see it end if I'm honest but there's always the next project isn't there which I haven't decided on as yet. 

I'm tempted to get another one of the 24 scale airfix kits but I'm not sure where it would go. I'll have a think

In other news disaster struck tonight with the eduard 110 I built back last year. The undercarriage collapsed whilst in the cabinet and can't be repaired. It's destined for the bin 🤧

Ah well. Onwards and upwards. 

🐜

• Sad 3

13 minutes ago, Antb said:

In other news disaster struck tonight with the eduard 110 I built back last year. The undercarriage collapsed whilst in the cabinet and can't be repaired. It's destined for the bin 🤧

🐜

beggar...

1 hour ago, Antb said:

At the risk if sounding like a broken record thank you again mate. 

I'm loving it. Will be a shame to see it end if I'm honest but there's always the next project isn't there which I haven't decided on as yet. 

I'm tempted to get another one of the 24 scale airfix kits but I'm not sure where it would go. I'll have a think

🐜

you can't bin the 110!!! whats happened to it?

• Like 1