1/72 Dassult-Breguet / Dornier Alpha Jet *Finished*

I believe I only have 3 kits in the stash that were tooled before 1981..

2 Sea Kings and an Alpha Jet.  The Alpha Jet was first released in 1980, but I have 2008 boxing:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/134749-airfix-a03035-dassault-breguet-dornier-alpha-jet#

I remember building this is the mid 80s and think it went together OK....

So this is what we have:

Airfix Alpha Jet

and in the box...

Spure shots

Decals

Decals do not look good, but I have always wanted to build this as a Alpha Jet A of the Portuguese Air Force.  

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Portugal-Air-Force/Dassault-Dornier-Alpha-Jet-A/1422446

I have the Print Scale Sheet 72-182, which includes the decals for 15202 of 301 Squadron.

Print scale decals

This was the first set of Print Scale decals I purchased, and I am a little under impressed.  The bottom of the wings a stated as being Neutral Grey, but all the photos I have found show the same 3 colour camouflage underneath, plus the is no top view.  However, I have found a copy of the Wingman Models instructions that does show the top and bottom camouflage scheme.

Looking around the walk around section on this site of the Alpha Jet

There appear to be some changes required to make a Portuguese Alpha Jet:

1. Cone arial behind the cockpit - I think I have something in the spares I can use to do this

2. Flare disperser under the tail - I think I can do that.

3. Gunpod...Did the Portuguese use a different version of the gun pod to that used by the Luftwaffe? Or is the Airfix version so wrong?

Anyway looking forward to getting started on this.

Edited by 1903flight
  • Like 8

On 31/05/2018 at 06:27, Rabbit Leader said:

This looks quite interesting. Can't say I've ever seen this kit, so yet again will be keen to see how it scrubs up.

Cheers.. Dave.

I *think* I remember it from a different boxing....never built one though :)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally made some progress.....

40990262900_3278da4561_b.jpg

did consider purchasing a resin cockpit set, in the end decide to build oob. Some what usually you need to add the undercarriage as you close up the fuselage. 

• Like 4

Before I sealed up the underside of the fuselage, I thought I would do a quick check to see if any nose weight was required......

41027945780_4e00159206_b.jpg

guess not. Full speed ahead. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Looking to see how you go with this, & of course find out about any traps for the unwary for when I attempt mine.

Steve.

Hi Steve, so far the only real point to watch for is the position of the cockpit on the fuselage, to ensure that the nose wheel aligns correctly with the small hole.

I was expecting the alignment of the under fuselage panel, to which the main undercarriage is attached, to be an issue, but in fact only a very little filler needed.

41958950545_42b62ccaef_b.jpg

On with the wings. 

James

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Coming along nicely! 👍

I really like the shape of these beasties....

Yes the Alpha is a nice craft.  I am surprised that there is not a recent tooling by Revell in 1/72

• Like 1

So most of the major assembly is complete..

29020539938_dcf9f47b5a_b.jpg

42893061301_518fb279ca_b.jpg

I would not normally have added the arrester hook yet, but I need to get the position of the gun pod right, this is what we have using the kit parts:

41992627255_0a9bf14a7a_b.jpg

looking at this picture from the walk around section, the gun pod goes over the arrester hook...

027.jpg

Also the gun pod bulges to the side, so the plan is to cut the gun pod to extend the gun pod back and then to use some plastic card to create the bulge. 

• Like 4

So I have been trying to adapt the kit gun pod to match the real life one a bit more...

29079137798_8b02af56a5_b.jpg

Mine is not so rounded on the sides, but with the undercarriage in place, I did not want to damage them.  Hopefully under coat of paint will look a bit better.

I have also added the flare dispenser under the tail and a couple of lumps.  need to add the RWR on the tail, will probably do a couple of drops of PVA glue to represent these.

I found some brass rod which is about the right size for the jet pipes, so I drilled out the holes for these already.

need to think about the gun barrel next.  

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Some slow progress recently.....

A couple of coats of paint 

28392159677_5ca81218d0_b.jpg

Also started on the gun barrel

42357863965_6e8f55eacc_b.jpg

Not a very clear picture 

• Like 4

Some how managed not to submit the above a few days ago. 

So new update. Paint big almost finished

41580964930_a743ccd182_b.jpg

final touch ups and the on with the decals 

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
On 13/07/2018 at 21:03, 1903flight said:

Some how managed not to submit the above a few days ago. 

So new update. Paint big almost finished

final touch ups and the on with the decals 

This Alpha Jet is looking good in this paint scheme - did you get the decals on? Cheers. Mike

• Like 1

Yes decals are on - will post a pict later on.

But has not been much progress in recent weeks, what with holidays and a heavy workload.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...