1/8 Kawasaki Z900A4 kitbash

Hi all, here is the start of another 70's classic superbike build. The Kawasaki Z900A4 or KZ900 in the US. This is going to be a kitbash of sorts as this kit is not available. I bought two kits which I will take parts from to build the Z900A4. Don't fret! I have a plan for a workshop diorama in the future, for the leftover parts.

As you can see I have made a start on the bodywork, the paint colour is diamond dark green. I used the Z1000 decals for the side panels and cut them and painted in the number 9. There was some subtle differences between the Z1000 and the Z750 which eventually became the Z1. The fuel tank and the bodywork is correct on the Z1000 for my Z900 conversion, as is the fuel cap, carbs, airbox, rear light, front forks, headlamp, seat, mudguard and clocks.

The 750 kit will require the exhaust system and a few other parts, which includes the triangular rear subframe for the exhaust mountings, these will have to be cut from the 750 kit and grafted onto the Heller frame. I am using mostly the Heller chassis parts, so that I know that the bodywork will all fit correctly. Finally I have some pics of a real bike which I recently restored.

Wish me luck and will update you again sometime next week.

vVdaJ9V.jpg
hw8SwwD.jpg
W23I3Ir.jpg
t2tX8c8.jpg
jPTRIRu.jpg
3xFBnl2.jpg
5JxuAok.jpg
dIurZtr.jpg
aGwvWsV.jpg
4NQFsPC.jpg
9NHJWck.jpg
bZNLLiO.jpg
AbwKXZI.jpg
ylbDXfS.jpg
hhcSBvM.jpg
7SySGYf.jpg
UjAoiSm.jpg
4wtFluD.jpg
isU3hna.jpg
5tcMqtm.jpg
JLLBLXS.jpg
mgocCkO.jpg
FsrrnLa.jpg
MyqVaOX.jpg
v8koOKI.jpg
yahEsGC.jpg
ggkwPYi.jpg
j4YesBn.jpg
qYxi7Ts.jpg
8DyHHrz.jpg
5KTBGhW.jpg
DlCF1YJ.jpg
LHhHt62.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, stringbag said:

You've made an absolute dream job of the full size restoration Lee. :thumbsup:. Did you do the paintwork on that too?

Looking forward to some more updates.

Chris.

Thanks Chris,yes bike paintwork is my day job,been doing it since 1982,never advertise just try to do a quality job at a reasonable price.

Hi Lee!

Fantastic work on the the Z900 (Both of them!)

I could never understand why this was'nt on Tamiya's 1/6 list, as it was one of the most iconic 70's superbikes in My youth, along with the Suzuki GT750 'Kettle' and the Mk 1 Gold Wing, and many others!

Of course ,there is this one:-

http://www.visordown.com/blogs/snippets/new-1972-kawasaki-z1-only-£720

Ouch!! 😮

Thanks for treating Us to Your builds!

Keep Sticking! Cheers,  Pete

On 01/06/2018 at 00:57, stringbag said:

Hi Lee.

I'll drop you a PM if I may, probably over the weekend.

You may be just the fella I need to sort out the tank on my 1972 YR-5.

Chris.

No problem Chris,been a while since i painted one of those,currently i have just finished painting a Z1B in candy super blue,i make up my own paint for it as no one comes close to the factory pearl effect from what i have seen and i am really fussy with details,i also airbrush many decals on as i hate vinyl graphics as many are too thick and don't conform to the shape of the tank well and they trap air bubbles which look awful,just had a CB400f2 paintset in to refurb and a huge Matchless G50 tank.

18 hours ago, morty_3333 said:

Hi Lee!

Fantastic work on the the Z900 (Both of them!)

I could never understand why this was'nt on Tamiya's 1/6 list, as it was one of the most iconic 70's superbikes in My youth, along with the Suzuki GT750 'Kettle' and the Mk 1 Gold Wing, and many others!

Of course ,there is this one:-

http://www.visordown.com/blogs/snippets/new-1972-kawasaki-z1-only-£720

Ouch!! 😮

Thanks for treating Us to Your builds!

Keep Sticking! Cheers,  Pete

Cheers Pete,that replica looks awesome,i recon it's worth the money too,can't beat a proper opening fuel cap!

Yes Tamiya should have made the Z1 and kettle and the Goldwing ,i have a couple of 1/8 Goldwing kits to build in the future and a stunningly beautiful 1/12 Hasegawa Suzuki GT380 kit.Also i own an original 1975 uk Goldwing K0 model,that is all unrestored and runs perfect.

Hi Lee!

All the lads at tech collage were progressing from FS1E's to GT 250's or GT380's if they had the extra dosh!!

Yes,I remember the Gold Wing first coming out,the local dealer (Jackson's in Burton on Trent) gave it a window all to itself! 

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,   Pete

Edited by morty_3333

17 hours ago, Lee Chambers said:

No problem Chris,been a while since i painted one of those,currently i have just finished painting a Z1B in candy super blue,i make up my own paint for it as no one comes close to the factory pearl effect from what i have seen and i am really fussy with details

That sounds nice in the blue. 

I'll send you some pictures over of the tin-work when I get a chance to take some decent ones.

Chris.

• 2 weeks later...

There's some lovely work going on there Lee, I can't wait to see the finished model.

I have very fond memories of riding one of these beauties when they first came to the UK. There was certainly an abundance of power when you needed it.

19 hours ago, mrmetallica said:

that is some awsome work there mate.reminds me of my kz1000 csr american import i miss that bike sooo much keep up the good work mate

Cheers Buddy,it's very close to completion !

18 hours ago, cngaero said:

There's some lovely work going on there Lee, I can't wait to see the finished model.

I have very fond memories of riding one of these beauties when they first came to the UK. There was certainly an abundance of power when you needed it.

Thanks !

Hi all, been busy kitbashing this bike to achieve the correct model for the 1976 Z900A4. The biggest problem was the front wheel, both kits I had to work with had the wrong hub size, so I took the wheel from my old Airfix 1/8 CB750 build that I used for spares. It was a good match, however the spokes are a bit too thick for scale and the rim had suffered from old tube glue and was a bit soft and deformed in places, but I will live with it for the time being.

Also although the rear tail light bracket was very accurate, the mounting of it was too far back, so I had to correct it so that the lens just sits a tad under the tail unit. I also had to place the front brake caliper forwards on the leg and I had to cut the rotor off my CB750 donor bike and graft it onto the Heller disc mount that was accurate. Also I had to scratch build various brackets to bring the brake pipe into the correct position. So lots of this needed to be done to get the bike to look accurate. But overall it has been a satisfying project, the final reveal is coming soon.

tQ3IBeR.jpg
XNPrT29.jpg
IVooa2z.jpg
HXphjwf.jpg
w79gPoz.jpg
lP9EeMy.jpg
dvccNhP.jpg
d09iMm1.jpg